Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 18:31   #16
I am Banned

Re: Downloading Music. Is it stealing?

THE SOFTWARE TO GET FREE MUSIC ISNT ILLIGAL , HOW YOU USE IT IS

sory caps was on and too lazy to type it all again which thinking about it by the time i typed this little lot out i could have redone it all and taken less time
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2007, 18:48   #17
Senior Member+

I download at alot of music for me...not for anyone else....I dare say some of the more wholesome posters on here will say it is stealing but at the end of the day we the public have been getting ripped off for years and years with the prices of cd albums compared to other countries...so what goes around comes around...and some artists benefit from downloaders...gnarls barkleys 'crazy' was the most downloaded song of 2006 and the first song to go to no.1 on downloads alone..this was before actual retail selling...if your an artist and you do it right it will work for you...
and I couldnt tell you the last time I bought a cd album...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 19:02   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
they should get propper jobs

just an aditional thought

teh record companies and movie companies put that much pressure on govenments to stop piracy that they managed to force new laws through american congress and our govenment alone just to protect their proffit margins , more money has been spent prosecuting school children for downloading music than what has been spent stopping child abuse and other nasty crimes ( if your child gets caught downloading music you get the fine )

money talks
totally agree with Chav on this , this copyright business is a load of cack , why the heck should Cliff Richards still be making money from some song recorded 50 yrs ago , or loopy Yoko still making money from some song her dead hubby wrote 40 yrs ago , I look at a song the same as a piece of art (painting/sclupture) that the artist sold for 20 pounds 30 years ago , now 30 years later the guy is famous and the subsequent owner sells the painting/sclupture at Sothebys for a million , does the original artist get a cut ....no way ....... another example of how cocked up the copyright laws are .......no way can the song ....'Happy Birthday to you' ...be used without permission in a film or stage production without paying fees to the copyright owner
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 19:13   #19
God Member

Neil chuck, when you get 2 minutes can you go and correct my glaring spellings in post #15 that's what happens when you try multitasking. TIA

Like I say I'm a down loader, but just for arguments sake if you were skilled in work that commanded a high price would you still have the same opinion if the guy next door was offering the same service for free?
Old 04-03-2007, 19:27   #20
God Member

I dont download music but thats only because I dont know how to! I'm not against it even though I can see the argument for and against it.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 19:42   #21
Beacon of light

I don't download music to save...but I have listened to music over the internet...sometimes it has just been to decide if I like the album enough to buy it...and I have bought music because I have heard it on the net.
I don't think I would feel comfortable with downloading music to keep. I feel that the artists must have some kind of remuneration for their efforts....and yes, maybe in the past we, the music buying public have been ripped off......but two wrongs don't make a right.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 22:35   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
I dare say some of the more wholesome posters on here will say it is stealing but at the end of the day we the public have been getting ripped off for years and years with the prices of cd albums compared to other countries..
Would you also steal say a car, because that same car is priced more cheaply in Europe?

It is a dilema.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 23:03   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its no dilema to me i download music i,m a theif.
Old 04-03-2007, 23:10   #24
Give, give, give member

I don't really download music, but I have watched illegal copies of DVD's, so I'm not whiter than white, but just because you feel are being 'ripped off', is it justification for what to all intents and purposes is stealing?

If someone was caught nicking a loaf of bread from ASDA, would their excuse that the same loaf at Tesco's was cheaper, therefore they were being 'ripped off', stand up in court?

Old 04-03-2007, 23:19   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

its just the same as buying summat that fell off the back of a lorry, which i would happily do if i wished. really its just mind over matter. I dont mind,You dont matter.
Old 04-03-2007, 23:30   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its just the same as buying summat that fell off the back of a lorry, which i would happily do if i wished. really its just mind over matter. I dont mind,You dont matter.
Not being a goodie goodie here, but I really wouldn't buy anything that fell off the back of a lorry.

'Fell off the back of a lorry' is really just a euphemism for it was more than likely stolen by some drug addict scum, who'd boken into an old ladies house in the middle of the night. It's good people buying knock off stuff that keeps the theiving scum in business.

Old 04-03-2007, 23:35   #27
Give, give, give member

There's really very little that could be said to be a victimless crime, if any.

Old 04-03-2007, 23:38   #28
Resident Waffler

If I hear an artist mentioned who I have never heard of and wonder what their sound is like - or if I hear one song and wonder if the rest of what they do is as good I wouldn't go out and buy a CD to find out. In the olden days you used to be able to go into the record shop and sit in a little booth and listen to the LP and then decide if you wanted to buy it or not. It's a bit like thumbing through a book you may decide to buy. I wouldn't buy an unknown book by an unknown (to me) author if it was all sealed up and I couldn't have a flick through.

In a similar way the chance to dip into something via P2P and then listen to it on my PC introduces me to a lot more music than I would otherwise purchase - so in that respect I think it benefits the music industry.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 23:59   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

'Fell off the back of a lorry' is really just a euphemism for it was more than likely stolen by some drug addict scum, who'd boken into an old ladies house in the middle of the night. It's good people buying knock off stuff that keeps the theiving scum in business-------------------------------- no rindy when i was young it meant exactly what it said, as any jack brad driver or customer will testify, its people that dont know any better that twist things to suit todays ways.
Old 05-03-2007, 00:27   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
'Fell off the back of a lorry' is really just a euphemism for it was more than likely stolen by some drug addict scum, who'd boken into an old ladies house in the middle of the night. It's good people buying knock off stuff that keeps the theiving scum in business-------------------------------- no rindy when i was young it meant exactly what it said, as any jack brad driver or customer will testify, its people that dont know any better that twist things to suit todays ways.
Yeah it was funny in the old days, all that stuff kept falling off the back of lorries, but when it was offered for sale none of it was ever damaged.

« Sewers | Just wrong »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..