Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 18:54   #16
God Member

Re: Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
An Hot head with airy ideas and an eye for a profit........(An Opinion) There are some good Ideas but why can't this be held in local hands.....
Maybe they cant trust the locals to do it to the standards these "esteamed" people will.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2005, 19:00   #17
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Maybe they cant trust the locals to do it to the standards these "esteamed" people will.
Esteamed?...................Spuggie it's Tony Wilson

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 19:13   #18
God Member

Ok in the land of the cocoa fairys

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 19:19   #19
Resident Waffler

Wasn't he "Anthony H. Wilson" at one time too?

He was the person who introduced me to Elvis Costello! But that's a different subject.

I don't think the notorious happenings outside the Hacienda Club really have any bearing on this idea/project and I think it woud be very shortsighted to dismiss it out of hand.

Having read through the link I must say that I am in favour of most of the ideas at least being looked into in more detail and I see no comparison between any of them and the Panopticon nonsense.

The Fashion Tower would certainly brighten Hyndburn up if we got it. We have mentioned in another thread how Hebden Bridge has improved itself and this could be just the thing for an old worn out dilapidated warehouse. A listed building could still retain its historic exterior and yet come alive inside with a whole new raison d'etre. (pleas excuse lack of accent - couldn't be bothered fiddling about)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 19:21   #20
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
why can't this be held in local hands.....
Who do you suggest? Having seen the improved Broadway do you really think we have local hands worth leaving it in?

Old 06-11-2005, 19:22   #21
God Member

I was preapred to be dismissive of this report when I first heard about it. Now that I have read it, (are you sitting down Gayle?) I actually quite like it.

Yes, it is overburdened with more than the usual compliment of Wilsonisms, but at the core is a cogent attempt to give the region the creative kick up the backside it so badly needs. For too long we have been content to be the victims of the decline in manufacturing industry, we have closed our ears and our eyes and our minds and retreated behind the net curtains in fear and dread of the changes and challenges that lie before us.

I, for one, think that this report makes an excellent starting place for Tomorrow. A copy should be posted through every letterbox in East Lancashire.
Old 06-11-2005, 19:31   #22
God Member

AB you have hit the nail on the head but will people listen or should they be made to listen?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 19:34   #23
God Member

I am in favour of persuading people to listen....with a cricket bat if necessary!
Old 06-11-2005, 19:36   #24
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Who do you suggest? Having seen the improved Broadway do you really think we have local hands worth leaving it in?
I think I previously said a Hyndburn Co Operative Partnership, This should be made up with local people with the skills and drive required, it would have nothing to do with HBC as such other that them extending further funding or use of services.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 06-11-2005, 19:47   #25
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think any move forward would require a positive response and an acceptance of one own self worth. If there’s no one in Accrington you can trust to leave projects like these in local hands than you may as well combine with Burley or Blackburn and have done with it. It was suggested that the people of Hyndburn needed a swift kick up the backside which is fair enough but why do you have to be breast fed by people outside of the borough. If the funding is available then it should be in the hands of local who know what they want for the town…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 06-11-2005, 19:55   #26
God Member

Because of all that has happened in Accrington over the years people do not know who to trust. A linkp with Blackburn and Burnley might cause a few raised voices.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 19:56   #27
Resident Waffler

I still like this idea. I don't see any local co-operative or anyone else having come up with anything at all.

If the money isn't coming from within what have we go to lose? We could have a lot to gain. I think we should try not to dismiss things so readily.

Old 06-11-2005, 19:58   #28
God Member

I take your point, Doug. There has to be considerable involvement from residents. There has to be consultation and their views and wishes must be listened to and incorporated. But the whole point of the report is that the region should be tackled as a whole entity rather than have every town going off ploughing its own furrow. As Wilson observes, East Lancs was the muscle of the industrial revolution and muscles only work well when they work in unison with each other. The other point to consider is that "small town" thinking produces "small town" ideas. We have had more than enough of that in the last thirty years; the Broadway "improvements" are ample proof of why fresh, outside ideas are vital to the success of the the town and the region.
Old 06-11-2005, 20:11   #29
Member.

Thanks Bob, that I can accept and it’s a positive statement. Willow I don’t deny that there are some good ideas, and I am all for change, the concern is that the borough gets what it’s given and not what it needs because of the lack of positive local input.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 06-11-2005, 20:19   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I was preapred to be dismissive of this report when I first heard about it. Now that I have read it, (are you sitting down Gayle?) I actually quite like it.

Yes, it is overburdened with more than the usual compliment of Wilsonisms, but at the core is a cogent attempt to give the region the creative kick up the backside it so badly needs. For too long we have been content to be the victims of the decline in manufacturing industry, we have closed our ears and our eyes and our minds and retreated behind the net curtains in fear and dread of the changes and challenges that lie before us.

I, for one, think that this report makes an excellent starting place for Tomorrow. A copy should be posted through every letterbox in East Lancashire.
And that is all that I asked for when I posted this thread - an openness to at the very least consider some of the ideas.

I have a copy of the report so if anyone wants a copy pm me and I will post you one - you'll have to give me a postal address because I've only got a photocopied version myself.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..