Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 21:04   #1
Always EVIL within us

Driver Killed ....In The Name Of Progress?

Thursday Afternoon, November 2nd, 2006 -

On the B6254 between the villages of Arkholme and Over Kellet near Lancaster. Mr. Peter Williams 67 and his wife Jean were driving to Yorkshire for a long weekend break in their V.W.Touran. As they approached a bend in the road, a police car hit them head-on. - - - - - Peter died, Jean is still in hospital.............

That same afternoon, someone in authority decided that a new piece of equipment (VASCAR) just fitted to a police car needed testing. This equipment records the speed of the vehicle in front of it for court purposes, so they sent out two cars, the one behind having the VASCAR fitted and they tested it on a B-Road that had a reputation for accidents due to the bends and undulations on the road which made it difficult to spot oncoming traffic......That road was the B6254 and the lead police car was the one that hit Peter Williams car head-on

The police officer suffered internal bruising . . and I am sure that Lancs Police Force are lamenting the destruction of a perfectly good cop car . . . BUT WHAT THE F*** WERE THEY DOING ON A DANGEROUS ROAD LIKE THAT????

They were close to the M6 and at that time of the day, could easily and safely test this equipment up to 100mph or more. If they travelled in the early hours of the morning. they could drive to speeds in excess of 130mph without endangering life.

This story made page 17 in a national newspaper, it should have been near Page 1. The officer involved has been suspended from duty until an independant inquiry has been completed and he will surely be the scapegoat after the report ......

but what about the other (2nd car) driver?

what about the officer that instructed them both to go out and test said equipment?

Should management have laid down commonsense rules regarding high speed testing of vehicles and equipment?

If not, should Government be ultimately responsible for not legislating illegal speeding of police vehicles without parameters?

In short, what gormless berk sent out two police cars to speed on narrow lanes which ultimately ended the life of Peter Williams?

He leaves two sons. one, a Methodist Minister, and they are quoted as saying:

"While we are attempting to cope with the loss of Peter, we would also wish to express our concern for the police officers involved in the accident.
We recognise that police driving training on public roads is necessary and can never be risk-free. However, we would hope that the results of the investigation would reduce the likelihood of such an event re-occurring.".....

I would like to know the outcome of this sad event, but like so many other stories, it is unlikely to make the papers as so often is the case, the result is not so newsworthy as the original story!

As a footnote, I would just like to make the comment that this "accident" occurred through the testing of a speed camera, yet nowhere in the papers report does it say the speed of the police car at the time of the accident!
Could this be yet another strangly disappearing tape/cd/software? I am sure that if the papers were given the info, they would have printed it
Old 12-11-2006, 21:13   #2

Re: Driver Killed ....In The Name Of Progress?

Words fail me (and that doesn't happen often).
R.I.P. Peter
Get well soon Jean.
Old 12-11-2006, 21:26   #3
Resident Waffler

If they'd needed to test the equipment on that particular road because of the humps and bumps etc then wouldn't it have been common sense to close the road for a short time on a quiet day?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 21:34   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
If they'd needed to test the equipment on that particular road because of the humps and bumps etc then wouldn't it have been common sense to close the road for a short time on a quiet day?
common sense willow? your asking a bit much! poor bloke.
Old 13-11-2006, 05:47   #5
Senior Member+

Who ever ordered that copper to drive like that should be charged with death by wreakless driving.

The poor family, hope the woman survives.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 16:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Who ever ordered that copper to drive like that should be charged with death by wreakless driving.

The poor family, hope the woman survives.

The CPS will sweep it under the carpet and nothing will happen and a few months down the line it will be business as usual. The police and CPS look after their own yet if we try the same its perverting the course of justice. ONE rule for them (scratch my back I scratch yours) and one rule (teh legal one) for every other person in the country.

The pillock who sent them out on this kind of run should be facing manslaughter charges at least.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 19:00   #7

If I killed someone through speed it would be a stretch in prison without a doubt.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 06:25   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Link to the story here.

I wonder who was on the wrong side of the road. It will be interesting to find out the real cause of the crash. I will wait until we here the full story before I condemn the Police Officer.
Old 14-11-2006, 06:38   #9
Resident Waffler

Is there a wrong side of the road? How narrow is the road? I don't know the road personally but if it's a narrow country road sometimes there isn't much room for two vehicles to pass and with this being described as an undulating road there would be times when one vehicle down one dip would be totally hidden from view of a vehicle down another dip. Surely that alone is enough for it to be a road not to speed along?

I hope we do get to hear the results of the investigation.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 08:41   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I hope we do get to hear the results of the investigation.
So do I. We all to often read what the papers wont us too, they tend to forget to tell us the full story later on.
Old 14-11-2006, 18:30   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
So do I. We all to often read what the papers wont us too, they tend to forget to tell us the full story later on.
We may never get the full story due to an official coverup.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 16:32   #12

Iam very sorry about what i have just read i would like to say get well soon jean and my prayers go out for peter r.i.p and take care of your self god be with you
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..