Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2006, 07:15   #1

Drug trialists to get compo?

Heard on the radio this morning that following the recent drug trial which went wrong the lawyers of those affected are going to attempt to win their clients some compensation. Now, whilst there's nothing unusual in that - lawyers have to make a living, what I do find a little bit silly is that it was a drug trial which, I'm sure most of them took part in for the money not the betterment of medical research and before which they will all have signed reams of paperwork which excludes them from bringing litigation against the company so why oh why do they think they can even attempt to get compo?

I hope they get nothing and that the case is instantly thrown out.
Old 16-04-2006, 09:12   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Drug trialists to get compo?

I have to agree there Basher. Although the outcome of this drug trial was tragic and unexpected, these people volunteered for the trial knowing that it was a trial. They accepted payment and must have had reams of consent forms etc to sign. The lawyers would have to prove that there was negligence in that trial procedures were not followed correctly. According to statements in the press, all of the procedures were followed to the letter so I really don't know how they are going to manage this.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 11:07   #3
God Member

It looks like it was a one off incident if somewhat horrendous for the victims. If people on a drugs trial have side effects that are unexpected and dispite legal wavers payments etc etc etc try to sue the reprocussions would be far reaching. Drug companies would give up these trials and as animal testing is not the answer were does that leave research? Without volenteers some drugs that are excellent at combatting desiese would never reach the patients. So what option is there try it on convicts?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 11:14   #4
Give, give, give member

It was horrific, but are they stupid?

The week after it happened I watched a programme about it, Panorama I think. This was only a week after, and one of the men was shown walking in a park talking about compensation.

All the people had took part in trials before. What did they think, that they were going to get two grand for sitting in a private hospital for two weeks plaing computer games?

If they didn't weigh up the risks more fool them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 11:24   #5
God Member

These people went in knowing the risks and therefore cannot expect payment twice. One for taking part and one for the side effects. Thinking its easy money and then moaning isnt the answer. If they had doubts WHY VOLUNTEER there was no arm up the back. Maybe they should have consulted the dictionary for the meaning of volunteer before proceeding and a lawyer for the legal angle

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 16-04-2006, 16:18   #6
Junior Member+

i agree people fight every day against testing on animals and yet these people volunteered willingly ... did they get tested to see if they had brains first????
Old 16-04-2006, 16:18   #7
Junior Member+

i agree people fight every day against testing on animals and yet these people volunteered willingly ... did they get tested to see if they had brains first????

Last edited by kazza; 16-04-2006 at 16:20. Reason: apologies douuble clicked lol
kazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 00:29   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whilst i felt sorry for them in the first instance,cos it was tragic, i now feel nothing but contempt for the moneygrabbing gits and like basher hope they get sod all.
Old 17-04-2006, 00:36   #9

Bloody immigrants,offered loadsamoney for doing nothing and then there's the case of them drug trialists.
Old 17-04-2006, 01:03   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER
Bloody immigrants,offered loadsamoney for doing nothing and then there's the case of them drug trialists.
Not being racist, but six of the people featured on the Panorama propgramme were of Asian descent.

Ethnicity aside, and one of them was an Australian, you don't get out for nowt in this world, even for two grand.

Old 17-04-2006, 08:50   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Not being racist, but six of the people featured on the Panorama propgramme were of Asian descent.

Ethnicity aside, and one of them was an Australian, you don't get out for nowt in this world, even for two grand.
How many were white British. Would be nice to see how the split pans out especially if the majority of the "Guinea Pigs" were of Asian desent. If those of Asian desent it would be an ironic considering some of the press they get and yet they are the ones involved in the effort to get new drugs on the market yet Mr Whiteside and his family dont.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 17-04-2006, 10:21   #12
Give, give, give member

The Panorama had me spitting feathers because all the people who were interviewed, they were all complaining that when they had took part in trials previously they had enjoyed it.

They were provided with state of the art televisions and gaming consoles, had good meals in luxurious surroundings, all before being paid two thousand pounds on leaving.

Even the two people given the placebo have said they are going to seek compensation because of the stress of seeing the others becoming very ill.

Old 17-04-2006, 10:42   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
will all have signed reams of paperwork which excludes them from bringing litigation against the company so why oh why do they think they can even attempt to get compo?
Would be interesting to know exactly what the terms are if drug tests go wrong .. after all somebody in the drugs company slipped up somewhere, didn't they ??

I hate claim cluture, but usually the volunteers are reasonably assured that there will be no long lasting effects, and this time some nearly died due to an error. Most people will do it for the money I know, but in a sort of ironic way they are a kind of hero to me, new drugs have gotta' be trialed on humans at some stage >> I wouldn't risk it, would you ?

I think they should go for compensation as will make the drug companies a little more careful in the future.

Agree with Garinda re. the ones who had the Placebo though, that is over the top and stress a little non-specific. Saw that programme and they just appeared to be relieved that they were not given the drug > they should be content with that.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..