Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 18:50   #1
God Member

Dubious Disorders

Following several discussion that we have held on this board concerning our disaffected and dysfunctional young, I came across this American article, and append it for your consideration.

http://www.rense.com/general65/mth.htm
Old 09-06-2005, 19:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: Dubious Disorders

ahh this so called dissease is almost as popular " ive got a bad back " and cant work excuse

yes some people do have bad backs but lazy people soon learned that they cant prove or disprove a bad back so quite happily get benefits and a motorbility car at the tax payers expense because they are too bone idle to work

some kids may well have somthing wrong with them but the ammount of little bastards running the streets causeing mayhem must mean we have a epidemic or the are simply using it as an excuse
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 20:51   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It is quite alarming that brain scans from children supposedly suffering from ADHD show the same inconsistencies as those born with foetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Funnily enough, the behavior of children with either of these 2 disorders (FASD being a genuinely recognised condition for a gzillion years) is also the same...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 21:15   #4
Resident Waffler

I cannot accept a blanket dismissal of ADHD. I have a friend who adopted a child with ADHD and have known this child from being a few months old. He could not be simply classed as a bored or irritable child. There's a world of a difference between him and other children I know who are simply " a handful". He wasn't diagnosed for quite a while but from the very beginning they were aware that he just wasn't the same as other children. Since being diagnosed and being on medication it has made a world of a difference although I do accept that it isn't a cure but it does keep the condition under control. Before anyone feels like criticising that fact may I just liken it to things like epilepsy which is never cured but kept under control by drugs.

The fact that brain scans of children suffering from ADHD show abnormailities should be enough to stop people dismissing this very real situation as a mere cop out on the part of parents and teachers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51   #5

There are kids who genuinely have ADHD I have a couple of friends whose kids have it, BUT I also think some are misdiagnosed. People have asked me if my son has it when they see him racing about and not playing with any one thing for more than 5 minutes. The answer is NO he does have a short attention span and is easily bored but he is not ADHD. I think we as a society are too quick to label kids these days, and many adults have forgotten what it was like to be young and 'bounding with energy'. Some kids weren't born to be couch potatoes & computer games mad. IMO the media causes a lot of this when they keep telling us that the norm is for kids to sit in front of a tv/computer screen every chance they get. Making some parents believe that there kids have something wrong with them because they don't.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:48   #6
Resident Waffler

It's probably the kids who are bounding with energy who are actually far healthier than the couch potatoes. My youngest is never still when she's at home. I often wonder where she gets all her energy from but she certinly isn't ADHD and does extremely well at school despite always having reference on her reports to being "wiggly"

Old 10-06-2005, 11:58   #7

Why do I get the feeling that Bob is sat at his computer with a dictionary next to him, desperate to use a new word each day? Append? Come on now, this is Accrington web! Submit, include? Anything wrong with those?
Accrington web is going through a thin patch at the moment, reduced to Bob's posts concerning national new stories, and members gossiping about their neighbours. What's happened? Bringback the old days!!
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon
Why do I get the feeling that Bob is sat at his computer with a dictionary next to him, ...........Accrington web is going through a thin patch at the moment, reduced to Bob's posts concerning national new stories, and members gossiping about their neighbours. What's happened? Bringback the old days!!

What have you in mind, Dillon?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 13:13   #9
God Member

I have never been an adherent of the one-size-fits-all/lowest-common-denominator school of thought. I was brought up to believe that the mark of a true man is that he gives of his best whatever the circumstances. To do otherwise, I was taught, showed a lack of respect.

Consequently the attainment of an above average vocabulary and the wit with which to use it effectively and correctly was once looked on as something to be proud of. My, but how times change!

However, undaunted, I shall continue to exercise my linguistic skills simply because I can. Anyone who feels affronted or offended by my posts is at liberty to add me to their "Ignore List". I promise I won't be offended.
Old 10-06-2005, 13:18   #10
God Member

If someone told me I spoke posh I'd kick 'em in the bo**ocks.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 13:53   #11

You misunderstand my intentions, Oh Eloquent One. I don't actually give two hoots how you write (I restrict it to write, as anyone talking like that wouldn't last long in Huncoat mate) I just think it is utterly, glaringly pretentious. I was always taught, 'why use ten words when one will do.'
No offence, like.
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 14:29   #12
God Member

>> You misunderstand my intentions, Oh Eloquent One...I was always taught, 'why use ten words when one will do.<<

Perhaps if you had used more words than you did, then you would not have run the risk of being misunderstood. As for Huncoat, I have lived there for a significant portion of my life without any trouble.

No offence taken.

Incidentally, as someone who is recorded as joining the board in February of this year, what exactly do you mean by "bring back the old days."?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 10-06-2005 at 14:45.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 09:54   #13
Senior Member+

Maybe he was banned under another name.

If people have trouble understanding you A-b, perhaps they should have the dictionary to hand...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 14:14   #14
God Member

I have the sneaking suspicion that you may be right there Vorlon. But I also have the sneaking suspicion that it is not just a dictionary that some people need.
Old 13-06-2005, 14:23   #15
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Incidentally, as someone who is recorded as joining the board in February of this year, what exactly do you mean by "bring back the old days."?

I was going to ask that very same question.

I ave more trubble understandin peeps wot talk a bit fick like an use dem likkle werds n txt n stuff coz I'm nevver shure wot there tryin ta meen like.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..