Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2015, 10:25   #1
Full Member+

Dunkirk 75th Anniversary

It is 75 years ago today when the Miracle of Dunkirk began. My father in law was on HMS Codrington which had just returned from bringing the Dutch Royal Family out of Holland when they got orders to go to Dunkirk.Only one ship brought more home from there than the Codrington. His diary is today the subject of an article in the Lancs telegraph.We have a medal that the French bestowed on persons who were involved. Churchill said it was a defeat so no medal was ever awarded by the British Government but I bet every one of the troops picked up from the beaches thought their rescuers should have had one.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2015, 15:45   #2
God Member

Re: Dunkirk 75th Anniversary

Holy feces batperson ... that's only about four years before I was born

I remember taking a cruise on the PS Medway Queen ... she used to run day cruises and I hopped on with my grandad at Southend pier. A wonderful ship. She made 7 trips to Dunkirk, and there was a commemorative plaque detailing her exploits.

It might not have been a victory, but after the collapse of the French Army, it sure must have seemed like one. It also might arguably be one of the major turning points of the war. If the British field army had not been evacuated, the Cabinet might have reconsidered its decision to stay in the fight. Game over.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 16:11   #3
Senior Member+

The men in those little boats were heroes.
I could never understand why the Germans(sorry, Nazis) didn't sweep those 350,000 men up or eliminate them.
Without them we would have had no trained army left and that would have been the end.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:05   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
The men in those little boats were heroes.
I could never understand why the Germans(sorry, Nazis) didn't sweep those 350,000 men up or eliminate them.
Without them we would have had no trained army left and that would have been the end.
Not that difficult to understand. The Nazis outran their supply lines. Rommel's 7th Panzer, by the way, holds the record for the biggest one day advance by an armored unit in WW2, easily beating Patton. Also, the Blitzkrieg shocked the OKW as much as it did the allies. Theories based on speculations that the Nazis (sorry, Germans) spared the British army in order to somehow make the Brits more likely to negotiate a peace are just so much horse manure. Talking of horse manure, one of the reasons that supplies couldn't keep up with the Panzers is that the majority of German (sorry, Nazi) transport was horse-drawn.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:31   #5
Senior Member+

The heroism of ordinary folk,they witnessed the true horror of War....

....Thinking of you all-You'll always be Remembered..........R I P.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..