Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2006, 18:36   #1
Senior Member+

Elections

This may seem like a really silly question to most. Why is it that when a local MP dies or resigns we have a bye-election to replace them. But when the Prime Minister resigns, his successor will be elected by his party. This is a serious question. We will have an un-elected representative for the British people.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2006, 18:56   #2
God Member

Re: Elections

When we voted in 2005 the majority of the UK voted Labour MP so we (I use the term we, although I couldnt vote last election) voted in Labour.

The leader of the Labour party becomes the Prime Minister, so really we voted for the MP which then is essentialy voting for the party.

Brown or whoever else becomes the next PM will be an elected representative.

However I do agree, that we should have a chance to vote again as even though the same party is in power, the leader might have differing ideologies from the previous leader.
Old 27-09-2006, 19:03   #3
Senior Member+

I'm not a great Gordon Brown fan, i like him even less than Tony Blair. I just feel that some people will vote for the MP they like the most. If that's the case, then, i would never vote for Brown, therefore my vote would go to another party.

Old 27-09-2006, 19:08   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
However I do agree, that we should have a chance to vote again as even though the same party is in power, the leader might have differing ideologies from the previous leader.
Why should you unless it is the MP you voted for who resigns or dies. You vote for the person not the party. An MP can change his political party whenever he feels like it. That was Labours problem when they put up their recent Spring Hill Candidate, he is an ex-Tory who could whenever he feels like it swap sides again.
Old 27-09-2006, 19:11   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
I'm not a great Gordon Brown fan, i like him even less than Tony Blair. I just feel that some people will vote for the MP they like the most. If that's the case, then, i would never vote for Brown, therefore my vote would go to another party.
You would only get the chance to vote for Brown if you lived within his constituency.

The current MP's vote for the MP who they want to be the leader of their own party. When Blair goes the remaining Labour MP's will vote a new leader in. ( Someone correct me please because I have a niggle in my tiny brain that all the members of the Labour Party might get a vote not just the Labour MP's)
Old 27-09-2006, 19:16   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
. ( Someone correct me please because I have a niggle in my tiny brain that all the members of the Labour Party might get a vote not just the Labour MP's)
I think that you're right on that. I just feel that a lot of people would vote in a general election, with who would become PM in mind.

Old 27-09-2006, 19:18   #7
Foreign Correspondent

One of the major differences in our forms of government. In the UK and other countires with similar forms of government, the Prime Minister is elected by the party with a parliamentary mojority or, sometimes, a coalition of parties. MPs, on the other hand, are elected by their consituencies. If there is a vacancy in either position, it is referred back to the body that elected the previous office holder.

In the US, we vote for the President and Vice President. Actually, while all the elections happen the same day, the election of the President is really 51 separate elections. Each state has a separate presidential race, with the winner getting the electoral votes for that state. This is why, in the 2000 election, George W. Bush was elected despite having fewer total votes than Al Gore. Bush won the majority of the electoral votes. It is unusual, but it was not the first time that the candidate with fewer popular votes was elected.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 19:21   #8
God Member

Quote:
You would only get the chance to vote for Brown if you lived within his constituency.

The current MP's vote for the MP who they want to be the leader of their own party. When Blair goes the remaining Labour MP's will vote a new leader in. ( Someone correct me please because I have a niggle in my tiny brain that all the members of the Labour Party might get a vote not just the Labour MP's)
Yes we do Neil.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 20:04   #9

Saw Tony Blair's farewell at the Labour Party Conference last evening. Maybe it was the lighting, but he looked powfagged to me. Tough gig, I guess. Judging by all of the complaints I read quite often on this site, I gather PM Blair has displeased you all greatly since he first swept into office with much flourish and fanfare. I would be truly interested in hearing about your individual gripes in this regard.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 20:27   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
Yes we do Neil.
Wow I was right. It's just a Labour thing isn't it? Do the Tories only allow MP's to vote then?
Old 27-09-2006, 20:41   #11
God Member

No, at the last leadership election David Cameron was voted for by the party members. In fact, I seem to remember Peter Britcliffe announcing in his column in the paper that he was going to vote for Cameron.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 21:28   #12
God Member

Now Neil has information overload now.

It may seem to some a bit odd our system because the PM is the leader of the party in power and not independent and is therefore answerable not just to voters and MP's but also to Parliment. Our esteemed American members will correct me if I am wrong but the President can find it arkward to get legislation and bills through congress if his own party is the minority. So in someways we are better of but also worse off by the same token some European countries have it more complicated with their Presidents and Prime Ministers serving longer terms between elections with more trouble changing them in a non general election senario than we ourselves have.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 21:30   #13
God Member

Quote:
Why should you unless it is the MP you voted for who resigns or dies. You vote for the person not the party. An MP can change his political party whenever he feels like it. That was Labours problem when they put up their recent Spring Hill Candidate, he is an ex-Tory who could whenever he feels like it swap sides again.
The MP's generaly vote along party lines, those lines can change depending on who is the leader of the party
Old 27-09-2006, 21:32   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Sorry I can't reply until my brain cools down.
Old 27-09-2006, 21:33   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J

It may seem to some a bit odd our system because the PM is the leader of the party in power and not independent and is therefore answerable not just to voters and MP's but also to Parliment. Our esteemed American members will correct me if I am wrong but the President can find it arkward to get legislation and bills through congress if his own party is the minority. So in someways we are better of but also worse off by the same token some European countries have it more complicated with their Presidents and Prime Ministers serving longer terms between elections with more trouble changing them in a non general election senario than we ourselves have.
The American president can have a hard time getting through legislation even if his party is in the majority in the Senate and House of Representatives, because they are much less likely to follow the party line unlike the Uk.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..