Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2010, 16:47   #1
God Member

Emergency Budget 2010

Emergency Budget 2010: the key points - Emergency Budget 2010 - MSN Money UK

this bit amused me endlessly

Child grants: restrict the sure start maternity grant to the first child only, abolish the health in pregnancy grant. Expect lone parents to look for work when their youngest child goes to school.

this might actually STOP people popping kids out just to stay on benefits
Old 22-06-2010, 17:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Emergency Budget 2010

No increase on fuel, alcohol or tobacco and no kick in the slats for the lower paid as the tax threshold has been raised - even Senior Citizens can look forward to pensions being in line with wage rises and a minimum increase of 2.5% p.a.

Does this all seem to be contrary to what the doom and gloom forecasters have been predicting?
Old 22-06-2010, 17:41   #3
God Member

Just over a couple of months ago George Osborne said that he had no plans to raise VAT.

The richest 10% spend £1 in every £25 of their income on VAT, while the poorest 10% spend £1 in £7.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 19:35   #4
God Member

but do teh richest still spend more on VAt than the poorest? you bet they do.

teh 2.5% rise means its going to cost me an extra £80 in diesel alone just to get to work each year. add in VAT on all the other costs and we am significantly worse off. Thing is I understand why its needed and would rather have this Budget that will sort things than to carry on in cloud cuckoo land that teh previosu lot lived in.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:28   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Emergency Budget 2010: the key points - *Emergency Budget 2010 - MSN Money UK

this bit amused me endlessly

Child grants: restrict the sure start maternity grant to the first child only, abolish the health in pregnancy grant. Expect lone parents to look for work when their youngest child goes to school.

this might actually STOP people popping kids out just to stay on benefits
Won't this encourage them to 'pop' another just to make sure that there is always one under five.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:42   #6
God Member

the fact that they won't get a maternity grant might (BIG might) stop that i think Margaret, i think they get £500 per pregnancy at the moment
Old 22-06-2010, 21:21   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Won't this encourage them to 'pop' another just to make sure that there is always one under five.
I think It will mean peace and quite down the research center and a dramatic fall in WKD sales.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 21:36   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think like Flashy on this one, without all the added extra grants for things already bought they just might think again about having more children. Then again the people who have worked and saved (if you ever can budget for the cost of raising a child) will maybe lose out as well.
Old 23-06-2010, 07:57   #9
JFT96

Lets not forget that the Great Labour party have presided over this problem.
it seemed quite fair to me, We will be paying a bit more than our neigbours, but then we do earn more money anyway.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 07:58   #10
God Member

gotta agree with you on that one Boeing, we all expected it to be really bad, when in actual fact its not that bad at all
Old 23-06-2010, 08:14   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
gotta agree with you on that one Boeing, we all expected it to be really bad, when in actual fact its not that bad at all
yer all forgetting, thats only the start, the worst is yet to come, wait while autumn.
Old 23-06-2010, 08:20   #12
JFT96

ya maybe right Cashy, I hope not, unfortunately we are in this mess and short of blowing up Parliament or robbing Fort Knox we all have to suffer a bit. It maybe wrong and not fair, but what can we do.
Now where did I leave my Bowler hat, the one with the metal rim.....

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 09:02   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I think It will mean peace and quite down the research center and a dramatic fall in WKD sales.
You Less and mick taking the pledge Beni
Old 23-06-2010, 09:07   #14
Resting in Peace

To be quite honest I can't for the life in me think why Child Benefit isn't means tested I've always that that A millionaire being able to claim child benefit is wrong, or for that matter why should an household with an income of say £100,000 get CB it should be for poorer families who could receive a little more instead
Old 23-06-2010, 09:46   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Just over a couple of months ago George Osborne said that he had no plans to raise VAT.

The richest 10% spend £1 in every £25 of their income on VAT, while the poorest 10% spend £1 in £7.

Absoloutly right. VAT is a regressive tax which hits the poorest hardest.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..