Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 09:11   #1
God Member

Energy

Willow has given me a bit of food for thought with her thread on Windmills.

Given that the price of oil and thus petrol is rising at an alarming rate as a result of the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina, and last weeks announcement that British Gas has raised it's prices by an average of 26% over a year. What good ideas do members have for reducing our fuel bills?

Does anyone have any spectacular ideas on how we can become self sufficient in energy?

Or do we all just have to resign ourselves to keep shelling out more and more of our hard-earned cash simply to have the luxury of being warm and not having to sit in the dark?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:59   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Energy

I believe that we are all victims of price fixes by the oil giants and OPEC.
It is about time our Government started to show us that it is interested in sustainable fuels. For example, a diesel car can run on pure vegetable oil straight from the shelf at ASDA. A modification is required to the engine mainly due the the viscosity of the oil (thicker compared to diesel). You still have to pay 27p (ish) per litre tax on veg oil if you pour it into your car. That is 44p for the oil and 27p for the tax = 71p per litre compaired to 97p at the pump. Some countries have zero tax on veg oil used in cars. That would be 44p per litre for fuel. Biodiesel is made from new or waste veg oil. It is a direct replacement for petrochemical diesel in all diesel cars less than about 15 years old (that is because biodiesel will attack some rubber seals used in older injection pumps). You can make bio-diesel in your kitchen - do some googling.
When you burn diesel you release CO2 that was removed from the atmosphere millions of years ago. When you burn veg oil, the CO2 released is removed when new crops are grown. It is a very sustainable fuel.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 16:50   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Willow has given me a bit of food for thought with her thread on Windmills.

Given that the price of oil and thus petrol is rising at an alarming rate as a result of the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina, and last weeks announcement that British Gas has raised it's prices by an average of 26% over a year. What good ideas do members have for reducing our fuel bills?

Does anyone have any spectacular ideas on how we can become self sufficient in energy?

Or do we all just have to resign ourselves to keep shelling out more and more of our hard-earned cash simply to have the luxury of being warm and not having to sit in the dark?
We could share a bath, but you'd have to have the tap end, and the cost of you driving from Huncoat to Ossy may outweigh the benefits.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 16:54   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Just move in together. That would be much more environmentally friendly
Old 11-09-2005, 17:42   #5
God Member

The thing I cannot understand is if the Government are serious about reducing Co2 emmissions, and considering that they are authorising a massive housebuilding drive, why they have not legislated to make every new house energy independent. It is not as though it is impossible.
Old 11-09-2005, 18:03   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Using what source of energy?
Old 11-09-2005, 22:08   #7
Resident Waffler

solar panels in the roof? A chap on our cravan site is solar powered and he seems to be able to run a lot off it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 00:17   #8
land of hope and glory

well said willow!people think that they only work of the sun light and not light! them abroad have been doing it for years, and the u.k can do it as well.its only light from the sun and not heat.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:17   #9
Senior Member+

I know your going to hate me for this but, I'll say it quickly, my pools heated with solar panels. Saves me a fortune in the cooler months.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
When you burn diesel you release CO2 that was removed from the atmosphere millions of years ago. When you burn veg oil, the CO2 released is removed when new crops are grown. It is a very sustainable fuel.
Am I reading you right Neil? Do you mean that veg oil deisel CO2 is counteracted by growing new crops but ordinary fossil fuel diesel isn't counteracted by anything? I'm a bit confused because I thought CO2 was CO2 regardless and that burning anything caused nasty emmissions.

There was a news topic on the radio this morning about the "opportunity" for air travellers to check up on how polluting their flight is going to be and then they can opt to pay a compensating sum to be used to help third world countries develop non-polluting energy. Am I alone in thinking this may not be a very popular idea amongst air travellers?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Am I reading you right Neil? Do you mean that veg oil deisel CO2 is counteracted by growing new crops but ordinary fossil fuel diesel isn't counteracted by anything? I'm a bit confused because I thought CO2 was CO2 regardless and that burning anything caused nasty emmissions.
When you grow crops CO2 is taken from the air. When you burn the oil CO2 is put back in to the air. When you burn diesel/petrol you are burning dinosaurs (refered to as dino-diesel) this releases CO2 that was taken from the air millions of years ago. Unless we plan on growing dinosaurs that extra CO2 will stay in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
There was a news topic on the radio this morning about the "opportunity" for air travellers to check up on how polluting their flight is going to be and then they can opt to pay a compensating sum to be used to help third world countries develop non-polluting energy. Am I alone in thinking this may not be a very popular idea amongst air travellers?
No you are not
Old 12-09-2005, 11:30   #12
God Member

Neil, Do you have a list of biodiesel outlets? a mate at work is interested but teh EST don't seem to have an up to date list.

Cheers mate

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52   #13
Give, give, give member

As well as building a windmill in the dark days of the 70's, my Dad also built a solar heating system for our first swimming pool in 1976.

He had been inspired by a television programme called I think House of the Future, does anyone remember it, or know if it is still standing? They built a house that was at the time the ultimate in energy saving technology.

By the way, outdoor pools in Lancashire, even solar heated ones= bad idea, we have an indoor one now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:07   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I believe that we are all victims of price fixes by the oil giants and OPEC.
I have one word for that comment, but it would probably be censored.

We are all victims of the huge amounts of duty that we are forced to pay whenever we put some petrol in the car.

A few years ago, for every £10 spent on petrol, some £8.50 was duty. That means that (assuming the proportions have stayed the same, which I very much doubt) when I spend £50 to fill my car up, £7.50 is the actual cost of the fuel; the remaining £42.50 is tax.

The government gets a hell of a lot of £8.50s from us, and what do they do with it? They use it to look after people who want to blast us from the face of the earth, because if they deport them they run the risk of being tortured or sentenced to death.

Hmmmm....

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:39   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I agree with most of that vorlon but I still think that increases like we are seeing at the moment is a con by the oil giants.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..