Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2003, 11:05   #1
Senior Member+

Post EURO

what are your views on the euro, do you think we should go along with the rest of the sheep, or be more independent and stay with the £. will the government take are views into consideration or will it do as it pleases, as usual.
Old 15-09-2003, 12:05   #2

Post Re: EURO

u seen the  euro it like  micky mouse money >
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 13:01   #3
God Member

This Euro vote proves one thing - the Swedes are Swedes, not Turnips. Stuff the Euro you know where & lets get the hell out of this pathetic shower known as the "EU".
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 14:42   #4
Senior Member+

Would not go in to the Euro.Here in Germany they are really regretting having done it.Since they did inflation has gone through the roof.The economy is really suffering for it
Old 15-09-2003, 15:03   #5
God Member

Hello Mik,
Stick with the Euro much longer and you lot will be bringing your wages home  (that's if you've got a job )by the barrowload...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 16:03   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Have some friends in Italy, who said that their prices had really risen since joining the Euro. Noticed myself this year in Greece, that things seemed to be more expensive than when I was there 2 years ago.  ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 07:07   #7

I can't see one advantage for being in the Euro or, indeed, the EC.

Unlike most other members we pay more money in than we get out.

We have a maze of restrictive and often illogical rules and regulations imposed on us by Brussels.

The Euro parliament itself is a hugely inefficient, wasteful body, riddled by corruption which seems to serve as a comfortable billet for has-been politicians like Neil Kinnock (and his wife).

We pay through the nose to subsidise farmers, while farmers in the third world starve because they can't compete on an unlevel palying field.

Our fishing industry has been decimated by Eurocrats.

The proposed European constitution will take away even more of our autonomy and effectively create a European superstate.

Yet despite all this, the Europhiles tell us that leaving the EC would be a disaster.So how come Norway, one of Europe's most prosperous countries, is not in the EC? And if all the countries on one continent joining together into one superstate is such a good idea, how come it's never been tried anywhere else like Asia or South America?

The EC is one big con. Leave it now!

ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 10:27   #8
Jo

It's true that prices in Italy have risen after the Euro, this is because all prices have levelled out across Euro countries, and before the Euro, Italy was cheaper than other places.
For the same reason the Euro could be an advantage for the UK, as the UK is relatively more expensive than other countries (in fact tourists have stopped going there, cos it's really expensive, especially London). This is a good argument for the Euro in Britain.
Also if prices dropped in the UK, export might finally pick up again, therefore creating more employment in the county, more spending and generally a healthier economy.
I agree that from the emotive point of view it would be sad, everyone here was sad to see the Lira go, but from an economic standpoint it would bring many, many advantages for British businesses, and thus also the British consumer. I don't think Britain can afford to stay out of the Euro for much longer, since the introduction in Jan 2001, the British economy has continued to slump, specially in international trade and investment. I just hope everyone that votes in the referendum has the full facts beforehand in order to make an intelligent and well-though-out decision.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 12:45   #9

Slump? What slump? Although the UK economy certainly isn't booming, as anyone who lives here will testify, it's far from in a slump. In fact, our economy, along with other non-euro states like Sweden and Denmark, is outperforming euro-economies like France, Germany and Italy.

...so the evidence so far (and it is early days yet) would suggest that there is no economic advantage in joining the euro. There are many disadvantages, though. Like the fact that we will get sucked further into the projected European superstate with its "one-size-fits-all" economy. Just imagine, vital economic factors like our interest rates and taxation decided by a remote body in Brussels, whether we liked it or not.

Fortunately, the Swedish rejection means that our referendum will now be postponed until well into the future when we will have had time to assess the impact of the Euro-economy. The question is, will Tony have a referendum on the European constitution next year - the largest handover in sovereignty in this country for over a thousand years?
Old 16-09-2003, 14:14   #10
Senior Member+

The Euro in effect will be used for business purposes and its an advantage for all holiday makers.You can compare prices directly of that with the homeland.
Jo is correct in a lot of ways.e.g.
Cigarrettes cost in England €7.50
here                                     €3.00
Petrol costs here 50 % less than the U.K.
Cars are about 15% cheaper on the continent when buying new.
However you do not get the deals that you get in the U.K.
All in all one would get a direct comparison on what the Government is fleecing the population of the U.K. on taxes.
Many if and buts on both sides but i believe it would be good for the British population overall
Old 16-09-2003, 14:14   #11
Jo

Can't add anything. It would be too boring to start going into GB economic policy and the GDP from a professional point of view. If anyone works in the sector and has the real statistics at hand, not the ones the media feed you, I know you'll agree with my above statements, if not, I understand the frustration. I really don't feel up to an argument based on facts that the government feed the population. If anyone wants some first hand true government economic info, contact me directly with private message,
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 18:14   #12
Junior Member+

[quote author=Mik_Dickinson link=board=general;num=1063623954;start=0#9 date=09/16/03 at 15:14:37]The Euro in effect will be used for business purposes and its an advantage for all holiday makers.You can compare prices directly of that with the homeland.
Jo is correct in a lot of ways.e.g.
Cigarrettes cost in England €7.50
here €3.00
Petrol costs here 50 % less than the U.K.
Cars are about 15% cheaper on the continent when buying new.
However you do not get the deals that you get in the U.K.
All in all one would get a direct comparison on what the Government is fleecing the population of the U.K. on taxes.
Many if and buts on both sides but i believe it would be good for the British population overall[/quote]

Quote:
Would not go in to the Euro.Here in Germany they are really regretting having done it.Since they did inflation has gone through the roof.The economy is really suffering for it
Seems to be a bit of a contradiction here!

Or is it another "insider club? " ;D ;D ;D
flopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 21:47   #13
Accy Goddess

Oh, for goodness sakes Mik get a life. You seem to be getting obsessed!  : : :
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2003, 07:42   #14

My arguments weren't based on "the facts that the government feed the population." They were based on research carried out on behalf of accountants, Grant Thornton. However, I do agree with you, Jo, that the government are feeding the population a lot of questionable facts - they've been feeding us highly biased propoganda on the merits of the euro and the EC for years!
Old 17-09-2003, 11:16   #15

So how do the general public decide which is fact and what is fiction?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..