Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2005, 16:44   #1
God Member

Everyone OUT!

600 pampered jades are about to pick up their handbags and bottles of designer H2O, and waddle their pricey fat backsides out of Scaitcliffe House in High Dugeon to stage a one day strike over the plans by HM Government to change their pension entitlements. The poor dears are incensed that the change in retirement age from 60 to 65 should apply to them as well as to the rest of us mere mortals. Let's hear it for them, altogether now, AHHHHHHHH!

Oh, but that's not right, is it? Us mere mortals already have to work till we are 65.

Unison Branch Secretary, Area Councils Manager, and Sh*t Stirrer in Chief, Steve Watson said: "We feel that we are getting a poor deal. It's planned to strike for a day and we hope it won't be too disruptive for residents". Coming a week after what I discovered of the deal this lot are getting, I think that this is a bit rich. A pity his scruples about being disruptive to residents doesn't extend to the people of the borough who are compelled to apply for Council Tax and Housing Benefit. Because of the incompetance of the people who are about to go on strike - his members - benefit claims are to suffer delays of 80 days. For those of you in private rented accommodation, perhaps you could try explaining the stress that council employees are under when the landlord comes banging on the door demanding the rent.

But the thing that really gets me about this whole sorry story is the revelation that most council employees only joined the council's workforce for the pension. Not because they have any particular vocation or desire to serve the people of the borough, just for the pension.

And then you wonder why the service they provide falls so far short of anybody's standards.
Old 24-02-2005, 16:48   #2
I am Band

Unhappy Re: Everyone OUT!

I hope it's pi$$ing down when they are on the picket line. A deluge of God's H2O and perhaps a wind delivered from the Arctic will surely test their resolve!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 17:01   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Everyone OUT!

Here's hoping!
It took the powers that be 3 whole months to process my housing benefit....for the princely sum of £12 a month! When they then decided I wasn't entitled to it after all but could appeal I nearly lost the will to live!Like I'm gonna go thru all that again for £12!
Stuff 'em ;bring on some serious blizzards!
Old 24-02-2005, 17:24   #4
Resident Waffler

600 work at Scaitcliffe House?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 18:25   #5
God Member

Artistic license luv, it's actually at all council premises across the borough. I just thought one might be a reasonable symbol for all of them.
Old 24-02-2005, 19:01   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Oh, but that's not right, is it? Us mere mortals already have to work till we are 65.
I think most other local authority workers country wide have been hit with the same news, yes the retirement age is 65, but it has always been possible to retire(exit) apart from the normal VR thingi, before 65 with most local authorities. But, I think the problem is if they choose to go (retire) early they will not be able to draw their "LA pension" until they are 65. Have still one or two friends working in local gov. Every time I see them its always the same chant.............you lucky b****** you got out just in time, I'll be here until i'm 65!!!
But what are HBC workers both "blue & white collar" workers going to gain, its national, all they will do is loose money by being on strike
Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
Another thought.........if HBC workers go on strike, they could be breaking their terms relating to pensions i.e. "broken service", think about that one

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 24-02-2005 at 19:16. Reason: additional thoughts
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 19:12   #7
Junior Member+

they ought to try self-employment, no pension, no sick pay no holiday pay, that's a real thrill
StvKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 19:18   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvKy
they ought to try self-employment, no pension, no sick pay no holiday pay, that's a real thrill
You'll have a private pension then

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2005, 19:21   #9

its not just the council workers this applies to, some of us pay a higher rate of N.I. so we can retire early n the government r now trying to take this option away from us, but will they reduce our contributions, I doubt that.
Claim benefits and have no worries - no offence meant!
stanerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 20:02   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanerlee
its not just the council workers this applies to, some of us pay a higher rate of N.I. so we can retire early
Please explain, I thought the employee, and the emplyer paid standard NI

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2005, 21:24   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvKy
You can cover the pension and sick pay through a pension plan and income protection.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 21:25   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
600 work at Scaitcliffe House?
and not one can get it right!!!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 21:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
and not one can get it right!!!!
lol...howdy slinky!!
Old 24-02-2005, 22:32   #14
I am Banned

i would liek to take this opportunity to speak up for the poor shovels and brooms who will not have anyone leaning on them for the duration of the strike

if they arnt working do we still have to pay council tax for the period they are striking as if they are not been paid for striking surely we dont need to provide wages for that day...?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 22:34   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i would liek to take this opportunity to speak up for the poor shovels and brooms who will not have anyone leaning on them for the duration of the strike

if they arnt working do we still have to pay council tax for the period they are striking as if they are not been paid for striking surely we dont need to provide wages for that day...?
MMMMMMMMMMMM NOW THATS A POINT!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..