Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2005, 17:42   #1

Expensive cat food

My cat has just been diagnosed with early stages of renal failure. So the vet has recommended that the cat is put on special cat food which is more sympathetic to their kidneys which makes sense to me (controlling it by diet sounds about right) but, and here's the crunch, the only place you can get this special food is at the vets.

It costs £6.80 for 12 sachets, more than twice the cost of Felix or Whiskas.

So, does anyone know where I can buy Royal Canin Renal food (dry food and sachets) without it costing the earth? Has anyone else had to do this?
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2005, 17:50   #2
mez
God Member

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/ero...50%252FGS.html just had a look in this website mabe it will help ok
Old 27-04-2005, 17:51   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Expensive cat food

Try to google it Purplelass. You may be able to find a list of stockists or buy directly from the manufacturer. The vets must be making some sort of profit for selling it, so you may get it cheaper.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 17:52   #4

Cheaper to get rid of the moggie!!!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 20:28   #5
God Member

Purplelass,
Have a look here http://www.felinecrf.org/what_is_crf.htm

It seems to be a very well balanced site with lots of useful info.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 20:47   #6
Resting in peace

Funnily enough, some years back I had a cat (a little bit elderly, and got as a stray a long time before) who liked dried catfood rather than canned stuff. This suited us very well, because we were both working, children at school, and the cat had sole charge of the house for most of the day, and even in very hot weather, the food always stayed fresh.

However, he (his name was Christmas Ginsberg, but that's another story) developed problems in the urinary area, and we were told that it was the dried catfood that led to this - cats fed on dried catfood developed kidney stones, which then got stuck in the urinary tract, leading to all sorts of problems. Any road up, at vast expense our cat was re-plumbed. What used to go forwards was re-routed to go backwards. When he came home from the vets after the op, it was an absolute wonder to watch this cat trying to have a pee - he plonked himself in his litter tray, pointed in the right direction, and then looked in absolute amazement as what had previously targeted itself nicely forward, all of a sudden was going backwards!!! It took a little while for us all to get used to this - him to cope with it, and us to cope with the very confused whimperings from the litter tray!

Perhaps not a lot of use for your problem, but just to let you know you are not alone with cat problems! If you have a good garden centre/pet centre nearby, that could be a good resource, otherwise look in Yellow Pages and find your local Pets'r'Us (or similar) who do almost everything that vets do (apart from drugs) and at a very much better price.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 21:13   #7
Beacon of light

Pendy...what you are describing is Feline Urinary Syndrome and it is common in cats who are fed on dry food and who do not (for whatever reason) drink enough water.
The renal failure is higher up the plumbing system and can only be helped by the appropriate diet.
Purplelass......you may be able to buy this food over the net.....it is certainly worth googling to see. I hope you are successful in your search and I hope your cat is Ok.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 21:40   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Is the cat not in pain?
Old 29-04-2005, 07:32   #9

Things have taken a slight turn for the worse. After feeding him the expensive cat food for three days I came down this morning to the sight of most of it spewed back up onto the settee. It could be that he ate it too fast or that he had a fur ball but it's not likely. Having said that he doesn't seem to be in pain but he did look a bit sorry for himself. I'll keep you posted.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 07:52   #10
Resident Waffler

I've just been looking at the article entwisi posted and it's full of useful information. How old is your cat Purplelass? I do hope that this morning was just a temporary hitch and that he is able to eat the prescribed food without it causing the same problem again.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..