Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2007, 16:39   #61
God Member

Re: Fascism lives !

I don't like this idea that we should be grateful for whatever meagre crumbs fall our way. There has been too much of that in the past, that is why Accrington looks the way that it does.

I don't expect the Guggenheim Centre or the Lloyds Building, but I do expect something a tad more adventurous than a pair of basic, bog standard, office blocks of the sort that has blighted the country for the past forty years.

Surely the whole point of regeneration is to raise the standard of an area, not drag it further down. I thought that the council were mad keen on encouraging tourist to the area? From what I have seen, thus far, that is an expectation that is destined to be thwarted.

And if they cannot get something a simple as a health centre right, what hope is there for the rest of the town?

These are landmark sites, they demand landmark buildings.
Old 27-09-2007, 13:06   #62
God Member

I doubt if this is HBC'c fault; these are LIFT scheme buildings under the auspices of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley PCT. I suppose that HBC could have knocked back the buildings on the basis they were not compatible with the immeadiate area or that the structures themselves lacked architectural merit. To have done so would have seriously disrupted both the budget and process of the PCT and would no doubt have led to serious criticism of the council by interests within the local health sector.

What is interesting is that nationally, these may be among the last of the LIFT schemes; like the major PFI hospital projects, managers within the NHS are finally doing their sums and realising the long term expense (involving unitary payments over 25 years or so) of these developments; indeed, at the primary level the latest thinking appears to be that we need to get fat-cat GPs out of their expensive 9 to 5 surgeries and back into the communities where they belong. One line of thought is to get 'em set up in the supermarkets, so that when you're buying your fat burger, salt-laden pizza and under sized microwaveable lamb shank in ASDA on a sunday afternoon, you can see your local Doc and get the blood pressure checked at check-out.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 27-09-2007 at 13:08.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 13:11   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
One line of thought is to get 'em set up in the supermarkets, so that when you're buying your fat burger, salt-laden pizza and under sized microwaveable lamb shank in ASDA on a sunday afternoon, you can see your local Doc and get the blood pressure checked at check-out.
There was something on the goggle box recently were they put 3 GP's out on the streets in Manchester and had them roaming. Had to laugh when they were shown carrying a sign that they were doctors and a nice bright red bag.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 13:42   #64
Resident Waffler

Being able to actually book an appointment would be a big improvement.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 16:31   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

What is interesting is that nationally, these may be among the last of the LIFT schemes;

Oh, I see, last in the queue, again, what a surprise - NOT!
Old 28-09-2007, 16:35   #66
God Member

I've been around Accy today so thought I'd take a better look. One thing that struck me was that they were both red brick - surely in Accrington that's perfect as it's well known for red brick!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 16:44   #67
God Member

There are two NHS buildings on Paradise Street, one is stone/stone effect and the other is red brick. The stone one blends in with the other buildings in the area and the red brick stands out like a sore thumb IMHO.
Old 28-09-2007, 18:39   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I've been around Accy today so thought I'd take a better look. One thing that struck me was that they were both red brick - surely in Accrington that's perfect as it's well known for red brick!
Yes, of course Gayle .. and as, in my earlier post, a shame that reduncies are being made at the factory due to stockpiling and building work down, blah, blah, blah; so was good they used them (only presuming like .. could have been imported). As a gal with an artistic flair, you must admit that if could have been more welcoming though, irrespective of the services it may be hoping to offer.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 18:48   #69
God Member

They are placing pieces of art outside and inside of them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 19:08   #70
Resident Waffler

I went along Paradise Street today and really the only scruffy thing on there is the back of the old Con.

Oddly enough although Accrington is famous for bricks, most of the town's buildings are faced in stone.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 19:14   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Oddly enough although Accrington is famous for bricks, most of the town's buildings are faced in stone.
Perhaps just as well, Willow, as could have finished up looking like Legoland ..
Old 28-09-2007, 19:21   #72
God Member

I really don't think a few pieces of art are going to hide the fact that we now have a big red brick building in an area where the architecture is predominantly built from stone. Perehaps a bit more thought could have gone in before building work commenced. Now we just have to hope that the GP's move into them and they fulfill the purpose they were built for.
Old 28-09-2007, 19:44   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I really don't think a few pieces of art are going to hide the fact that we now have a big red brick building in an area where the architecture is predominantly built from stone. Perehaps a bit more thought could have gone in before building work commenced. Now we just have to hope that the GP's move into them and they fulfill the purpose they were built for.
And here endeth the ? lesson.
Old 29-09-2007, 05:19   #74
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
I think the Paradise Street one should have retained the former buildings stonework then it would have blended in with the other buildings.
How long before they clear the surrounding streets some boarded up houses already.
To my knowledge, there are no boarded up buildings on Paradise Street, there may be some on Wellington and Cotton St, but these should soon be re-ocupied. When the Health Centers open, as the created job's that require accomodation will take them. Thus enancing the area's reputation away from some derogatory remarks, 'scruffy'
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 21:32   #75
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
They are placing pieces of art outside and inside of them.
Who's selecting the art not Midd-Pennine Ass for the Arts I hope
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..