Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2010, 16:38   #1
Senior Member+

Fat Cats

I am sure that I saw the other day that Mrs Brown - can't remember her name so she must be a really striking personality, is being paid a 6 figure sum for her memoirs of her time in 10 Downing St.

After Coyote Blair another PMs wife wants to cash in on her husband's brilliant occupation of the position of Prime Minister.

Why are they all so greedy?

I do accept that Tory PMs spouses may also have ridden the gravy train - just can't think of any.
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2010, 17:12   #2
God Member

Re: Fat Cats

I've never understood the economics of book publishing , they pay out millions in advances to politicians for their memoirs, yet most books by politicians costing £25 + retail are usually piled high on the knock-down "remainder' table within a few months going for £5 or less, and very few are issued in paperback. Must be lots of creative accounting and favourable tax laws for in the book publishing business
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:42   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I've never understood the economics of book publishing , they pay out millions in advances to politicians for their memoirs, yet most books by politicians costing £25 + retail are usually piled high on the knock-down "remainder' table within a few months going for £5 or less, and very few are issued in paperback. Must be lots of creative accounting and favourable tax laws for in the book publishing business
I think SJ, that the publishers use the same accounting methods as the Politicians. Somehow they come out of it alright.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 19:16   #4
God Member

So it will be like an authorised biography = a biased version of history.
An unauthorised biography is more likely to contain truth.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 06:29   #5
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So it will be like an authorised biography = a biased version of history.
An unauthorised biography is more likely to contain truth.
Actually Margaret, I have to disagree here.

I read a lot of biographical books and have found that unauthorised biographies are usually written by enthusiastic fans who barely have a bad word to say about thier idol. Bad points or events which the subject matter would probably prefer to see forgotten are given a new spin to generally paint them in a better light.

Authorised biographies are generally scrutinised by family members before publication, more to make sure that things are accurate than to prevent anything that might be considered defamatory. The books still aren't completely free of the 'fan' element but they generally come out in a more balanced way.

Autobiographies are naturally the best option as you get it straight from the horse's mouth.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 07:26   #6
Give, give, give member

Can't really see the problem.

Free market economics, and all that.

If a publisher wants to pay Sarah Brown a six figure advance, more fool them.

I won't be buying it, but they must think somebody will, and that it will make them a profit.

Norma Major cashed in whilst being the PM's wife, writing a book about Chequers.

She'd probably have got greater renumeration still, if she'd not been kept in the dark about her husband fertilising Edwina's eggs, and vented her spleen in print about that sordid affair..

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..