Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 17:55   #1
God Member

Financial Meltdown

Greece nearly bust, Italy going down the pan, and even worse Tesco sales at their lowest for 20 years. We're all doomed
Old 05-10-2011, 18:28   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Financial Meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Greece nearly bust, Italy going down the pan, and even worse Tesco sales at their lowest for 20 years. We're all doomed
On the positive side...

Charity shops profits up 12 per cent - Civil Society - Finance - News - providing news and in-depth coverage of charities, voluntary organisations and not-for-profits

Which would account for the feel good factor we're currently experiencing in Accrington.

As Graham said, 'Great places move on, and evolve'.

Bye-bye traditional businesses.

Hello musty woolens.

Evolution.

Great.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 18:45   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
On the positive side...

Charity shops profits up 12 per cent - Civil Society - Finance - News - providing news and in-depth coverage of charities, voluntary organisations and not-for-profits

Which would account for the feel good factor we're currently experiencing in Accrington.

As Graham said, 'Great places move on, and evolve'.

Bye-bye traditional businesses.

Hello musty woolens.

Evolution.

Great.

Obviously in our line of work we get asked to help out charities quite a lot, maybe thats why their profits are up. Might change our name to GiftAidPrint, we might even make a living
Old 05-10-2011, 18:48   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Obviously in our line of work we get asked to help out charities quite a lot, maybe thats why their profits are up. Might change our name to GiftAidPrint, we might even make a living
What does 'help out' mean?

Give special rates to?

You should go on strike Brother.

East Lancashire charity workers? strike vote plan (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 05-10-2011, 19:23   #5
God Member

Quote:
theres a lot of money to be made out of charity.Them oxfam directors dont drive around in bentleys etc because they are eco friendly and teh cheaper option

always cracks me up when i see people giving tehir free time for organiszations such as oxfam stood in teh rain freezing to death while teh top guys get chaufered around to meetings.

this is why when i participate in fund raising events i make sure its for a local cause

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 05-10-2011 at 19:25.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:42   #6
God Member

its all gordon browns fault oh hold on he stopped us from joining the euro Chris Patten: a big disappointment all round | The Spectator
Old 05-10-2011, 19:45   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
theres a lot of money to be made out of charity.Them oxfam directors dont drive around in bentleys etc because they are eco friendly and teh cheaper option

always cracks me up when i see people giving tehir free time for organiszations such as oxfam stood in teh rain freezing to death while teh top guys get chaufered around to meetings.

this is why when i participate in fund raising events i make sure its for a local cause
It always amuses Cllr. Wendy Dwyer and myself, when we have the twin-set and pearls ladies up, from Parkinson's UK headquarters in London.

That they're always saying they 'do charity work'.

We always say 'No you're not. You're employed by a charity, and receive a generous salary for your efforts'.

By the way, any money we are lucky enough to be given gets spent up here, unless someone specifies they want it used towards research.

We determinedly send London's fancy office nowt.

Old 05-10-2011, 19:47   #8
Beacon of light

Well, yes he might have stopped us from joining the Euro, but he DID sell all the gold reserves at the bottom of the market...(when we didn't actually need the money) so that labour could go on a good old spending spree.......not the best of moves that........but ah you seem to have missed mentioning that one.
Prudence wasn't quite as prudent as he might have been.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 20:24   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
its all gordon browns fault oh hold on he stopped us from joining the euro
Really ? Was it truly an economically inspired undertaking or more to spite his nemesis Blair ? (3rd Paragraph)

The feud that saved Britain
Old 05-10-2011, 21:27   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

We determinedly send London's fancy office nowt.

Well done -as they say, "Charity begins at home" and that's where it should stay.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 21:40   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, yes he might have stopped us from joining the Euro, but he DID sell all the gold reserves at the bottom of the market
Just think how much better off we'd all be, if he'd waited a bit, and heeded all the advice.

Goldfinger Brown’s £2 billion blunder in the bullion market - Times Online

The fecklessly humourless Scot could have sat cross-legged in his flat in Number 11, stuffing the nation's gold reserve into those pre-paid envelopes, addressed to We Buy Any Gold.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:27   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
its all gordon browns fault oh hold on he stopped us from joining the euro Chris Patten:*a big disappointment all round | The Spectator
I blame you C'mon its all your fault, well the people you so readily support, you just remind me of the chap that goes into a crowded lift and lets out a SBD then looks at everybody else trying to shift the blame

Last edited by jaysay; 06-10-2011 at 09:31.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 20:16   #13
God Member

What financial meltdown
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 21:01   #14
Beacon of light

if you don't have one........we can lend you one. On a non return basis, that is!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 23:20   #15
God Member

But sly boy Osbourne and this Government have it all in hand..they have told the Bank of England to print £75 billion more money and give it to the banks .. the same as the last lot did 2yrs ago when Osbourne said it was (quote) .."the last resort of desperate governments"...
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..