Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2006, 09:16   #1
God Member

Unhappy Fire Fire!!

Was watching on the news last night that fire brigades across the north west had been fighting grass fires through out the day.
They said they had been fighting to extinguish grass fires in colne.

So last night me, ginger and the kids went for a drive over...............

SHOCK........poor residents in that area. All off colne was just a thick smog of smoke. We had to put the windows up for most of the journey through colne as it was stinging our eyes.

We took a drive over the tops of colne to look down on the fields that were badly smouldering. There were 6 fire engines, army tanks and just smoke everywhere. A fella that was stood near us said that hellicopters with water had been out most of the day trying to extinguish them, but even at 10pm last night there was no sign of them giving up.

Can our country cope with this heat??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2006, 10:19   #2
God Member

Re: Fire Fire!!

Not good at all! I remember forest fires in florida when I went a few years ago, because of the heat. They had to close sea world because the smog was so thick!
Old 26-07-2006, 10:38   #3

And I bet all they needed was nosey neighbouring residents from nearby towns driving around Colne trying to get a glimpse [sp?] of the action.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 10:43   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
And I bet all they needed was nosey neighbouring residents from nearby towns driving around Colne trying to get a glimpse [sp?] of the action.
YUP!!!!................

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 11:08   #5
I am Banned

Bet it was some thoughtless person that threw a lit docker on the grass There was a severe warning over lake district about dangers of dry grass & risk of possible grass fire they shut some of the areas off so the Beeb said last week.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 13:18   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Bet it was some thoughtless person that threw a lit docker on the grass There was a severe warning over lake district about dangers of dry grass & risk of possible grass fire they shut some of the areas off so the Beeb said last week.
now mel thats unfair it could have been an arsonist.
Old 26-07-2006, 13:47   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Fire Fire!!

With absence of fire breathing dragons roaming the countryside the causes of the fires could be many.

It was alleged on the news last night that the Colne fires were started by kids although a carelessly discarded fag end could have been the cause. On the other hand a carelessly thrown away glass bottle could have been the culprit especially if it was broken.

I plump for mischievous kids. Maybe they were playing with a magnifying glass and things got out of hand.

However I have to hold my hand up that at one time (1961 outside of Capetown) I was guilty of starting a bush fire that very nearly got out of hand. Actually it wasn’t just me but the whole off watch crew (7 men) at Cape East. The Chief decided that the bush near to the Transmitting Station had got too thick and too dry for safety so we started a controlled fire to get rid of the tinder dry material.

You would be amazed how quickly the fire spread before we could make a fire break and stop it in its tracks. It makes its own wind that sort of adds to the problem.

Before – during – after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0264.jpg (187.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg scan0265.jpg (192.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg scan0266.jpg (124.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg scan0267.jpg (155.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg scan0268.jpg (119.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg scan0269.jpg (132.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg scan0270.jpg (180.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg scan0271.jpg (144.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 26-07-2006, 22:36   #8
God Member

Nice pics jambutty

BUT I just have one question
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
There were 6 fire engines, army tanks
SLINKY WERE THE HELL ARE YOUR PICS!!
Old 26-07-2006, 23:21   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Nice pics jambutty

BUT I just have one question

SLINKY WERE THE HELL ARE YOUR PICS!!
She is hoping you got some pics of those fit firemen.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 13:15   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Fire Fire!!

They have fit firewomen too nowadays and female paramedics and ambulance crew.
Old 27-07-2006, 15:02   #11

It's a terrible thing to happen and can so easily be avoided. Two kids (9&10 yr old) round here are raving mad that other kids 'grassed em up' for collecting rubbish and bits of wood and trying to set fire to it on a secluded grassy path. One of the dads went out with a bucket of water before they had chance to light it. The lads parents didn't show any concern and the two weren't even told off never mind grounded.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 15:55   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
They have fit firewomen too nowadays and female paramedics and ambulance crew.
Dont think Tinks was after them. Me that is a different matter though.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..