Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31   #1

Fires in Woodnook

Well yet again we had the fire brigade on Augusta Street (twice this week that I know of). When walking the dog past Augusta Street about 10.30 last night there were 2 fire engines and the police, someone had set fire to yet another derelict house. I don't know if this area can get any worse (lets hope not).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Fires in Woodnook

i saw the police loads of them & ambulance last night top of fountain st .
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06   #3

It's getting ridiculous in Accy........some places (like Woodnook) are worse than others, but what can you do, even when the people involved are caught they just get a slap on the wrist.........some deterant that is.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:31   #4
God Member

the authorities are just sweeping it under the carpet.they dont want to admit their is a problem because it wont go with their crime figures.what everybody needs to do to emphazise the fact there is a problem is to keep wriying letters to the local papers they will then cotton on to the fact there is a problem and make it frontpage news and our local mp [who doesnt even go to watch stanley but watches some other team]might sit up and take notice..
Old 04-11-2007, 17:13   #5

Even the papers don't want to know what's going on in Woodnook (it's old news). Since I posted this morning I have been told that there has been 3 fires on the same street this week.........can't expect anything else...at least half of the houses are empty and boarded up.
Old 04-11-2007, 17:24   #6
God Member

My mate has just moved, she lived on Wilfred Street for years. Her house would have been worth a fortune if it hadn't been where it was. It is a shame that there are so many landlords who only seem to care about getting rent money for their properties. They don't concern theirselves with who the tenant is or how the neighbours are affected by the behaviour of some of said tenants!!
Old 04-11-2007, 17:32   #7

I have lived here nearly 20 years but had to put the house on the market...so don't think I'll be here much longer either....
Old 04-11-2007, 17:50   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
I have lived here nearly 20 years but had to put the house on the market...so don't think I'll be here much longer either....
It is such a shame for people like you and my mate who lose out because of these morons
Old 04-11-2007, 18:04   #9

Not selling up for that........split up with husband so got no choice..
Old 04-11-2007, 20:55   #10
Resident Waffler

But due to the behaviour of some of the people round there you won't get as much for the house as you should do because people don't want to buy them. It's such a shame.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03   #11

Thats so true willow.......the houses here don't fetch nearly as much as elsewhere in town.........it's a shame because there are some nice properties round here
Old 05-11-2007, 07:42   #12

i still cant get on that ladder . . .
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 14:22   #13

poor you.........and it's not getting any easier to get on the ladder
Old 05-11-2007, 15:17   #14
God Member

Owning your own home is no longer cheaper than renting.
I was an owner occupier from age 18 till age 60 and can assure you that owning your own property is not the ideal answer for everyone.
With it goes -- maintenance--- structure insurance-----and lack of easy ability to move to where there are better jobs----worries about needing repairs and improvements
In other European countries they do not have the same obsession with home ownership.
There are more and more decent properties for rent becoming available. The days of negligent landlords are numbered.
So if you cant afford to buy, dont fret about it. You can still live in decent housing and worry less about any possible natural disasters eg floods, subsidence.
Another bonus-- if you get neighbours from hell ---it is easier and quicker to move

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 15:42   #15
Resident Waffler

I've thought about that too when we wanted to move from here and couldn't get a decent price for the house. It seems like money wasted over the years what with repair costs and insurance and everything.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..