Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 18:56   #1
God Member

First class prices for a second class service

In May this year, Royal Mail was so delighted to report a profit of £537 million in the previous twelve months that it decided to award it's boss, Adam Crozier, a bonus of £2.2 million, this on top of an annual salary of £500,000. It also awarded every postal worker a bonus of £1,074.

Very nice! Very generous and large hearted of them! But still, 16 million items of mail go missing each year.

Today the postal regulator POSTCOMM announced a 2p rise in the cost of stamps, to take effect on April 1st 2006. The reason for this increase? To plug the £4billion black hole in the Royal Mail pension scheme.

Postal workers retire much earlier than the rest of us.

If they are so worried about their pensions, why aren't they plugging the hole from their own pockets, rather than awarding themselves huge bonuses? Why should the public be made to pay to keep these dyslexic parasites in the manner to which they aspire?

Still, never mind, Royal Mail loses it's monopoly next year and for some reason the phrases "rude awakening" and "serves em right" keep popping into my head.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 07-12-2005 at 18:58.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2005, 19:22   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: First class prices for a second class service

Don't get me started on Royal Mail A-B.... My mum was a postwoman for several years, she's a hard worker and conscientious. She needed an operation earlier this year and because she's 57 the RM retired her on health grounds before the op. They payed her out a lump sum of her pension, which wasn't much as she had only 14 or so years in service. She's not entitled to anything else except a measly £57 a week incapacity. After paying for some essential work to be done on the house, the lump sum is gone. We checked at welfare rights to see if she was entitled to anything else and the answer was no.
Welfare Rights were appalled at what the RM had done. They should have put my mum on the sick at the time of the op, she would have been entitled to much more. My mum doesn't want to make a fuss and involve the union as she never wants to work for them again.. She is fully over her operation, perfectly capable of working and is starting a new job somewhere else because she can't afford to live off £57 per week after working since she was 14.........

I am disgusted with the RM and I believe that mail will continue to go missing as long as they continue to treat some of their workers like trash. I am also disgusted with our benefits system, of which I have no experience myself, but a system which rewards people for never having worked and undervalues people who have worked from the age of 14 cannot be right..

I only hope that the powers that be at RM get their rude awakening, and soon...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 19:30   #3
I am Banned

did anyone watch the trevor mcdonald reprt into royal mail

they sent out 5 cards with money in

3 didnt make it to the destination and the two that did had the money taken out of them

no offence to postmen here but in some areas royal mail takes on temporary workers instead of giving full time jobs to those who want them who cant be bothered and either theive the mail or simply leave it in its trollys in carparks abandoned
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 19:45   #4
God Member

I too have seen sacks of mail dumped at the bottom of Kings Highway just off Burnley Road.

BTW. Glad to hear your Mum has recovered and is giving the mail the finger - good for her!
Old 07-12-2005, 20:11   #5
white rabbits

ist class stamps are to go up by 2p in april.... 2nd class stamps will probably go up too.....
Old 07-12-2005, 20:38   #6
I am Banned

long live email :-)

also the amopunt of junk mail royal mail deliver is unbelievable they shuold have an option where you can stop them delivering it especialy those brown ones demanding money :-)
Old 07-12-2005, 21:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
long live email :-)

also the amopunt of junk mail royal mail deliver is unbelievable they shuold have an option where you can stop them delivering it especialy those brown ones demanding money :-)
The brown money ones arrive on time the rest seems to be as and when it suits.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 21:45   #8
Give, give, give member

The postal system is in a mess. I've had loads of mail go missing, especially when I lived in Glasgow.

However I do think even with the increases the price of posting a letter is cheap, what other service can you get for under a pound?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 21:49   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
The postal system is in a mess. I've had loads of mail go missing, especially when I lived in Glasgow.

However I do think even with the increases the price of posting a letter is cheap, what other service can you get for under a pound?
carrier pigeon's should be re introduced at least they wont steal money from birthday cards

email is free i get my internet bill via email
Old 07-12-2005, 22:36   #10
God Member

All the carrier pigeons would end up in pigeon pie.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-12-2005, 00:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

well there was this girl in tailand ....but thats another story
no seriously hit the greedy buggers were it hurts send more emails ,why even deliver local mail yourselves ..and as for employing temporary workers this is just another way of getting out of paying them full timer workers benifits..which=profit £537 million which results in bonus £2.2 million on top of his measley salary of £500,000..your money his ferari and appartment in monte carlo ,well maybe not those last 2 items but you get the drift ...did he really need a bonus of 2.2 mill could 2 mill of that not help plug the pension black hole ???
Old 08-12-2005, 08:54   #12
God Member

The last thing these kind of people with these kind of bonuses are thinking about is the workers and their needs. One things for sure the pension fund could be Maxwelled and he would still get his.! send very little by post because most of its done online so the only money they make from me is the indirect stuff sent to me.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-12-2005, 08:57   #13
Senior Member+

I sent a 1st class recorded letter on Monday with postal orders in. It still has not arrived and its not showing as trackable yet on RM website . This is a payment for a ps2 game for Alec for xmas.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:09   #14
God Member

And their excuse will be its due to the time of year even though there is a large amount of casual labour employed.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:41   #15
Senior Member+

Its Friday and im still waiting for a 1st class recorded letter to be delivered with £20 postal orders in. RM wont even look into it untill after 15 days have passed. Grrrrrrrrrr.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..