Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2005, 11:54   #1
God Member

Friends of Rhyddings Park

Just to let you know, they held the first meeting of Friends of Rhyddings Park last night. About 60 people turned up which is great for a first meeting.

The meeting was only about whether they should actually form the group or not. The decision was to go ahead. So the next meeting will be to elect a committee and devise a plan.

I'll let you know of any developments.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2005, 12:07   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Friends of Rhyddings Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Just to let you know, they held the first meeting of Friends of Rhyddings Park last night. About 60 people turned up which is great for a first meeting.

The meeting was only about whether they should actually form the group or not. The decision was to go ahead. So the next meeting will be to elect a committee and devise a plan.

Thanks Gayle, knew nothing about it, where was it held? Good turn out though.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 12:13   #3
God Member

It was at the Civic Theatre.
Old 29-06-2005, 15:11   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hope it gets off the ground rhyddings park could do with a few friends,
Old 30-06-2005, 21:31   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Unfortunately there were quite a lot of negative vibes at the meeting. Too many people are bringing up the past and blaming the council for everything that is wrong in the park. Yes I know it is HBC fault but it is time to look forward and not backwards.

I did not know who you were at the meeting Gayle, I would have liked to say hi in person to another AccyWebber.
Old 30-06-2005, 22:17   #6
God Member

Sorry, I wasn't actually there. I was reporting on what I had been told by someone who was there.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:15   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:

The meeting was only about whether they should actually form the group or not. The decision was to go ahead.
Thought that the "friends of rhyddings park" was a requirement of the lottery grant, without that group HBC could not progress the grant application?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:01   #8
God Member

You're right in one respect because HBC isn't allowed to apply for a lottery grant so to enable it to happen you need an outside group i.e. Friends of Rhyddings Park. However, the meeting was held to agree that they were going to form the group and that they were going to proceed with the grant application. They now need to form a committee (chair, secretary and treasurer, sort out a constitution, get a bank account, etc and follow up the grant application).

It was a bit of a no-brainer in some respects but they could have voted to leave the park exactly how it is and not formed a group.

At the next meeting they'll elect the committee and formalise the plans for spending the grant if/when they get it.
Old 01-07-2005, 15:33   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:

Wow Rhyddings park has more friends then the Coppice

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 16:03   #10
Senior Member+

Shame I have moved away from the area, but I just hope that some of the local residents that will be effected by any work, get involved in the committee, and that it's not left to people who live miles away from the park.Would think there are lots of issues to be resolved, increase in traffic, problems with parking etc.If the existing buildings are to be refurbished in order that the community can use them, then I would think they need to look at providing limited parking within the park.

Albert Einstein.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:10   #11

Thumbs up Re: Friends of Rhyddings Park

hope it gets off the ground AND CAN YOU let KNOW ABOUT NEXT MEETING AS I played in the park as a kid and now i take my kids there now to play
.. apest1 ..
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 17:08   #12
God Member

I still can't understand why it was thought to be a good idea at the time that the mansion which once stood in the park should be demolished.
Old 04-07-2005, 17:15   #13
land of hope and glory

the only answer to that A-B is because the council at the time did not realise what a magnificent old building it was!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 19:03   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I still can't understand why it was thought to be a good idea at the time that the mansion which once stood in the park should be demolished.
Could have been a question of cost of maintenance even in those days, today they would have had a listed building on their hands.

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..