Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2011, 18:01   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Gadaffi captured

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Just seen it on the news - those Libyans are worse than animals and probably no better (or even worse) than Gadaffi. I'm sickened!
Thats right should have give him community service,
Old 20-10-2011, 18:25   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats right should have give him community service,
Would that have been against his human rights cashy
Old 20-10-2011, 19:45   #18
God Member

I wonder where they'll bung the body? Will they do a Binny & chuck it in the Med? Or will they burn the buggar & scatter the ashes over the southern desert? Surely they can't give it a funeral and turn his resting place into a shrine for the likes of Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and Alex Salmon?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:18   #19
God Member

Just taken another look at the videos .... What a helluva Halloween costume that would make. What's the betting that some enterprising guy is making some up as we speak
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:25   #20
God Member

I've just seen some gory pictures of him - strange that those are published but those of Bin Laden were deemed too gory

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:35   #21
God Member

Gaddy was finished of with a 9mm pistol; Binny was taken out with an assault weapon with a 'dum dum' bullet which took off half his head as well as the body shots. That's one of the reasons why his piccy's were never shown. Anyway - why do you want to know - presumably another conspiracy theory?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 20-10-2011 at 20:41.
Old 20-10-2011, 21:18   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Gaddy was finished of with a 9mm pistol; Binny was taken out with an assault weapon with a 'dum dum' bullet which took off half his head as well as the body shots. That's one of the reasons why his piccy's were never shown. Anyway - why do you want to know - presumably another conspiracy theory?
There is no such thing as a dum dum bullet, thats Hollywood fiction.
Dum Dum is an Arsenal in India, where a Captain Clay experimented with hollow nosed .303 bullets.
in was produced in Mk3, 4 & 5, before being outlawed at the Haigh Convention.
All the surplus stock was used on ranges for target practice, some spent bullets have been found on the old Hambledon Ranges at Hapton.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-10-2011 at 21:19. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 06:04   #23
Beacon of light

I know that this man was a dictator and had done some terrible things in his life, so why do I feel so bad about seeing him being manhandled and having such an undignified,tortured and terrible end?
And why does it sadden me to see people rejoicing at the loss of a mans life?

Today, the news coverage/video footage of this event seems so intrusive.......and while I know the people in Libya will need to see proof that this man has finally been defeated....do we need to see it all over the papers?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 07:10   #24

Another despot disposed of

Who or where next
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 07:26   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I know that this man was a dictator and had done some terrible things in his life, so why do I feel so bad about seeing him being manhandled and having such an undignified,tortured and terrible end?
And why does it sadden me to see people rejoicing at the loss of a mans life?

Today, the news coverage/video footage of this event seems so intrusive.......and while I know the people in Libya will need to see proof that this man has finally been defeated....do we need to see it all over the papers?
Why should anyone feel bad about the corpse, when not too many had any positive feelings for the man when he was alive ... doesn't make too much sense to me. And I really don't see too much undignified about his end. He said he would not run away; that he would die fighting in Libya. And it seems as if that is what he did. I suppose that makes him one of the very few leaders who actually do what they say.
Old 21-10-2011, 07:32   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There is no such thing as a dum dum bullet, thats Hollywood fiction.
Dum Dum is an Arsenal in India, where a Captain Clay experimented with hollow nosed .303 bullets.
in was produced in Mk3, 4 & 5, before being outlawed at the Haigh Convention.
All the surplus stock was used on ranges for target practice, some spent bullets have been found on the old Hambledon Ranges at Hapton.

Retlaw.
Ooops...sorry Retlaw. I was simply using the term in a generic sense to refer to an expanding bullet.

Oh, by the way, it was Captain Bertie-Clay who experimented with both soft point and hollow point nosed variations on the .303 cartridge. I suspect you are also referring to the Hague Convention, not the Haigh Convention (whatever that might be) but may I suggest you also reference the Declaration of St Petersburg which preceded the Hague by a third of a century and renounced the use of such weaponry.
Old 21-10-2011, 08:02   #27
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Why should anyone feel bad about the corpse, when not too many had any positive feelings for the man when he was alive ... doesn't make too much sense to me. And I really don't see too much undignified about his end. He said he would not run away; that he would die fighting in Libya. And it seems as if that is what he did. I suppose that makes him one of the very few leaders who actually do what they say.
I know what you are saying is essentially true, but that doesn't stop me feeling uncomfortable about it........not that he didn't run away....he said he would die in Libya, and so in that respect he got his wish.

But, however you look at it his end was undignified......he was tossed about, and if reports are to be believed he was, if not begging for mercy, asking not to be killed.

Maybe it is my gender/background that makes me feel that his treatment was inhuman.(and yes, I know that what goes around comes around....he had done some very bad things)

Maybe the joyful scenes were not just the rejoicing of the overflow of this despot, but the hope that things can now be different. I hope so too, but I fear that it won't much alter the situation in region.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:36   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Is he dead or is he not
Old 21-10-2011, 08:40   #29
Resting in Peace

Just wondering if we will now get answers and conviction of the person who killed policewoman Yvonne Flecture
Old 21-10-2011, 09:05   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I know what you are saying is essentially true, but that doesn't stop me feeling uncomfortable about it........not that he didn't run away....he said he would die in Libya, and so in that respect he got his wish.

But, however you look at it his end was undignified......he was tossed about, and if reports are to be believed he was, if not begging for mercy, asking not to be killed.

Maybe it is my gender/background that makes me feel that his treatment was inhuman.(and yes, I know that what goes around comes around....he had done some very bad things)

Maybe the joyful scenes were not just the rejoicing of the overflow of this despot, but the hope that things can now be different. I hope so too, but I fear that it won't much alter the situation in region.
Dictators and despots often meet undignified ends .... there are lots of examples in the historical record, some recent, some not. Not too much dignified about what happened to Richard lll (1485, I believe) ... and poor Cromwell, dug up and hanged ... and Mussolini: upside down from a lamp post.

In a way, I kinda admire the guy ... he was a little weird, but there again Michael Jackson wasn't all that normal either; however, he said he would win or he would die. He had the balls to face what he knew was his inevitable fate. Good for him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..