Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2006, 19:40   #61
Super Moderator

Re: get on with each other......

Right, Todbear, you've charmed me into giving you some positive karma which isn't a very good start to my negative karma rampage. However, that's quite enough of that namby pamby, touchy feely, hippy dippy, soft Southern stuff. You're up North now, so it's time to start drinking brown & bitter splits, smoking roll ups and eating babys' heads. I reckon a spell on the Clayton End would do you good!
Old 18-07-2006, 19:50   #62

thanks Wynonie, Ok bears have teeth and claws, and aren't always soft and cuddly, so I'll give it a go, I could probably manage a baby's head but I couldnt eat a whole one!( sorry very old joke) I have always liked bitter, I cant stand any drink they shove lime or bits of fruit in. When we lived in Cornwall we used to drink the local home made cider, you could strip paint with that.

Last edited by todbear; 18-07-2006 at 19:52.
todbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 20:45   #63
Super Moderator

Well, I know you southerners are more used to rocket salads lightly drizzled with virgin olive oil, but I'm sure you could manage a baby's head. I usually eat two of 'em with chips, peas and gravy when I go up the chippy. I don't think Holland's are making them quite as big as they used to - reckon the suet crusts aren't quite as thick.

I like the sound of home made cider, though. I'll have a scout round for that next time I go to Hereford.
Old 19-07-2006, 02:14   #64
God Member

hereford! you can't get cornwall cider in hereford. it's 3 hours further on. One of the idiots of the forum down here, pastitpete has moved to lizard point todbear, it runs the tea rooms.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 07:18   #65
Super Moderator

Well what's Hereford famous for (apart from unnatural practices with sheep)? And since it is the cider-making capital of the country, I'm sure there's some enterprsing person making the home-made stuff somewhere. Never mind, maybe I'll find some when I go to Torquay.
Old 19-07-2006, 08:32   #66

had some scrumpy in Somerset last year......now that,s rough stuff..little tip.....don,t drive for a while afterwards........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 09:41   #67

I cant drive never learned, but after a pint of somerset scrumpy I cant stand, so even getting to a car would be a problem.
Had my first chip butty the other week, mmmm that was good, they didn't do babies heads though, I shall shop around.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:51   #68

I think you're all silly buggers
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 10:08   #69
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by todbear
Had my first chip butty the other week, mmmm that was good, they didn't do babies heads though, I shall shop around.
A chippy that doesn't sell babies' heads? Disgraceful! They're a very popular northern delicacy, though, so I'm sure you'll find one soon...and once you've tried it, brown rice and lentils will never seem quite the same again!
Old 19-07-2006, 10:44   #70

Terry you are dead right, but I have been completely barmy for years.
why not come on in and join us the water is fine, and the babys heads are fried so they cant bite!
Old 19-07-2006, 10:49   #71
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by todbear
Terry you are dead right, but I have been completely barmy for years.
I can almost vouch for that....[well the last few weeks anyway] HI POPS
Old 19-07-2006, 11:11   #72
Super Moderator

Fried?...fried?...you STEAM 'em! Flippin' 'eck, Todbear, you've got a lot to learn!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 19-07-2006 at 11:44.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 12:48   #73

I knew I'd get it wrong, I shall get the steamer out at once, I could chuck a couple in the old copper boiler that might cook them up a treat
Old 19-07-2006, 13:03   #74
Super Moderator

...well, if you're cooking them from scratch, they need to be steamed for about 5 hours. topping the pan up with water regularly, of course, so it doesn't boil dry...think you might be best buying 'em from your friendly, neighbourhood chippy, though. Getting that suet crust right can be a real sod!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 19-07-2006 at 13:56.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 15:00   #75
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: get on with each other......

I don’t know if this still holds good for today, but there was a time when down in ‘Scrumpyland’ a pub landlord would only sell a pint of the golden liquid to the locals. Anyone else could only buy halves.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..