Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2006, 14:38   #1
Senior Member+

Girl loses muslim dress code appeal

for all those lovely ppl who were following this story from last march (?)

A school which was told it unlawfully excluded a Muslim pupil for wearing a traditional gown has won its appeal at the House of Lords. The Court of Appeal had said Denbigh High School had denied Shabina Begum the right to manifest her religion in refusing to allow her to wear a jilbab.
But in a unanimous ruling, judges at the House of Lords overturned that.
They said the school had "taken immense pains to devise a uniform policy which respected Muslim beliefs".
It had done so "in an inclusive, unthreatening and uncompetitive way".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4832072.stm

for a lil back story this girl was financed and back by a radical islamic group who many mod muslims have called the govt to ban but the govt has chosen otherwise....
Old 22-03-2006, 14:54   #2
God Member

Re: Girl loses muslim dress code appeal

Will stay on the fence with this as it could go to the ECHR. One part of me says she should be allowed to dress as her religion decrees another that a uniform balance is needed and another that says its getting out of hand.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 15:08   #3
Senior Member+

spug - the school that she goes to as it says is like 80% muslim adn they offer alternative muslim dress code as approved by the muslim council of uk.

she's being pushed for other peoples motives if that makes sense
Old 22-03-2006, 15:15   #4
God Member

Being used as a "flag" for a "radical" group would that suffice?

If the school is abiding by guidlines set by the Muslim Council then its right that they won.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-03-2006, 17:13   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Girl loses muslim dress code

She must be working for MI5 they are the ones that lose codes (usually on the underground!).
I hope it wasn't sown into her clothes in a British sweat Shop!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 18:31   #6
I am Banned

What good news when I heard.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 19:52   #7
Beacon of light

I totally agree with you Mani. I think there are many issues that are manipulated for political reasons.....and to divide otherwise cohesive communities.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 20:20   #8
God Member

I think it's good that the judgement has been overturned. The family of the girl knew where they were sending her and what the rules were before she went. I have no objection to women choosing to wear religious dress but to choose to go to a school where it was not allowed and then object to the rules is wrong in my view.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 20:39   #9
God Member

Wonder what would have happened if I had tried to go to school in a full Highland Jacobite getup?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-03-2006, 22:45   #10
God Member

I aint been happy since I had to wear a crash helmet while some people didn't

I will be in a Sikh temple on Sunday and I will wear somehting on my head and no shoes.... I will do that knowing thats the way it should be... I wont then start complaining and demanding they change the ways so i can go in differently...
Old 24-03-2006, 23:04   #11
Resident Waffler

The girl was quite happy to wear the normal school uniform at first but then didn't she come under the influence of her older brother when her parents died? The head teacher herself is a muslim and the majority of pupils at the school are muslim and no-one else had a problem with the shalwar kameez style uniform. Her brother is saying this is only for sexually immature girls to wear and that older girls and mature women should wear the jilbab. I see many mature women, mothers and grandmothers around here happily wearing shalwar kameez.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 09:57   #12
Resting in Peace

Bin looking around on Internet, and seems to be lots of varying opinions on these between Muslim academics anyway !!

As said, the school seems to have made every effort to accommodate this religion and the standard has been set. Always somebody wanting to go one step further, isn't there, for reasons other than religion methinks.

Women wearing this garment almost give me a cardiac arrest everytime you are faced with one at the turn of the supermarket corner. Suppose our younger members though are used to it by now, butI find them a little scarey, smacks of women control to me.

Do get a little disappointed by some of the school's control on uniform locally too ... skirts too short, boys wearing ties half as short as they should be, brown shoelaces in black shoes, any colour of coat, shoes that have not seen polish since they were bought .. could go on and on. Should be zero tolerance on uniform.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 10:01   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think the schools are too scared of the pupils to enforce a decent dress code.
Old 25-03-2006, 10:33   #14
God Member

At school we had to follow the uniform code to the letter or face being pulled up for it even in the last year there. Schools wont upset kids as the comeback on the teachers is not worth the hassle and the kids know it.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-03-2006, 14:25   #15
I am Banned

hangon arnt there muslim girls only schools she should go to one of them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..