Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 19:29   #16
God Member

Re: Give.......

I always like to think that people wouldn't be complaining about the sight of needles or bags of blood if they are on the receiving end of it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2007, 19:33   #17
Resident Waffler

I've been on the receiving end of it and so has my daughter and I'm very grateful to the donors without whom neither of us would be here.

That "sharp scratch" wasn't always a sharp scratch I'm sure they must have changed it but I hadn't really noticed when. They keep taking samples of my blood for testing but they don't want me to share it with anybody else.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 20:27   #18
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
It’s just my opinion but I think that every adult should give blood once a year if their blood is acceptable.

Why is it that when nurses prepare to stick a needle in your arm they always say ‘just a small scratch’? It’s not a scratch it’s a prick. Why don’t they say ‘just a small prick’ and have a good laugh at the same time?
They could even say, "Just a small prick and it will soon be over," but they might get thier clients upset! Lots of opportunity for the old double entendre! (BTW, here in the USA, they say "You'll feel a small pinch." Substitute the real sensation into that sentence, and I will answer "The heck I will!"). Better let it go at that or they'll move this one to the Over 18 section!

I certainly would join you in encouraging all folks eligible to donate to do so at least once a year.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 20:45   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Give.......

There’s nothing like a double entendre to take people’s mind off the needle Billcat.

Actually I’ve seen huge beefy sailors who could probably stand toe to toe with a gorilla literally faint at the site of a needle long before it was anywhere near an arm, yet they were covered in tattoos. It’s a funny old world with even funnier people on it.
Old 09-01-2007, 21:13   #20

18 to give isn't it ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 22:02   #21

Red face Re: Give.......

LOL on that questionair... why dose it ask if you have had oral/anal sex with another man (if your a man your self). Why do they need to know that? How come it dose not ask if you have had oral with a woman??

From
a very confused ALEC
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 22:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAlec View Post
LOL on that questionair... why dose it ask if you have had oral/anal sex with another man (if your a man your self). Why do they need to know that? How come it dose not ask if you have had oral with a woman??

From
a very confused ALEC
LOL anyone going to answer? lol

Im serious as i find it quite offensive really that they lable people as you know "gay, homo" and they instantly think they are not worth doing it

Alec

Last edited by AccyAlec; 09-01-2007 at 22:32. Reason: error in state
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:17   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAlec View Post
LOL anyone going to answer? lol

Im serious as i find it quite offensive really that they lable people as you know "gay, homo" and they instantly think they are not worth doing it

Alec

In answer to your question. The reason why the Blood Transfusion Service don't want the blood from high risk groups, such as gay or bisexual men, or intravenous drug users, is that in the early to mid eighties a lot of people were infected by HIV after receiving blood that was carrying the virus. Blood can be screened nowadays, but that would be much more costly than just not accepting blood from those groups deemed a high risk. A decision that I fully accept as the right one in this instance.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23   #24
God Member

But what if you just lied? surely its screened anyway.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 13:03   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
But what if you just lied? surely its screened anyway.

Lettie knows all about this, but she's still in Australia. She told me all about it, as she did her dissertstion for her degree on HIV.

As far as I know blood is now screened for the HIV virus, amongst other things. That blood could be used safely if it was 'washed', but this wouldn't be cost effective, as it is relatively expensive to do.

People could of course lie. I've written before about someone I used to work with. In theory he was in a low risk group, ie: solely hetrosexual, and not a drug user. The fact that he visited prostitutes every lunchtime, and according to him didn't always have protected sex, is another story.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 16:53   #26
Senior Member+

They don't want my blood either;I gave quite a lot before I had my daughter but since I had to have a plasma transfusion during my c-section I can't give again! That was way back too,you would think some sort of screening could sort it out!
Old 10-01-2007, 17:03   #27

cheers for the info panther
i've never given blood before
can't say i'm bothered about needles
just never got round to it
so i'll try an bob down
an do so
doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 17:04   #28
God Member

I used to go a lot but haven't been for a few years - I'll try to get down, thanks for the info.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 21:12   #29

I am a big wimp when it comes to doctors and hospitals, and would love to be able to get over it. Fortunately I can have a clear conscious though as I am not allowed to give blood cos of my job (working in pressurised environment). Although I never gave blood before I started flying - but at the moment, that is my excuse! Although I do think that everyone should have to give blood if it is safe for them to do so. If you dont give it then you shouldnt receive it. Thats my opinion anyway.
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..