Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 22:48   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Give Blood......

I think the upper limit is 60, so if you are between 17 and 59 you can donate

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-09-2004, 23:08   #17
Always EVIL within us

Talking Re: Give Blood......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I think the upper limit is 60, so if you are between 17 and 59 you can donate
Get used to holding my hand Willow, We are going!!!!!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:21   #18
mez
God Member

i used to donate blood, but sadly cant anymore, still it is a very worth while cause, lettie you mentioned the ladies who need blood after giving birth, my ex husband was brought out of work taken to preston to donate blood for that reason, he recieved a lovely thank you letter, telling him that mother & child were doing fine & thanks for his contribution, as is any donation of blood, so please please donate blood it is very rewarding.
Old 12-09-2004, 13:09   #19
Resident Waffler

I checked on the website, answered the questions and one of them referred to having had an operation or received a blood transfusion so I had to send in a query because I have had both. Still waiting for the reply.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 19:49   #20
Accrington Web Mascot

I wasn't aware that there was any age limits - and it is probably the new rule that if you've had a blood transfusion after a certain time you are no longer allowed to donate in case of CJD - which is a shame but of course they have to be very careful.

I always have a bit of a rough time when giving blood although needles don't bother me - but I always feel faint afterwards. This last time the staff insisted I lie down on the "faint bed" for over 1/2 an hour before they would allow me to leave! But at the end of the day it's about 1 hour of my life - (which is no time at all) and it can mean the difference between life and death for someone else.

I would also be interested in donating bone marrow - but doesn't that keep you off work for a couple of weeks? If anyone has more info on this it would be very useful.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 20:19   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

If you are on the bone marrow register, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be called up to donate. The only donors I have come across have been the recipients family up to now. If none of the family match, then they use the register. They look for people with matching blood group. If you have a common blood group then I reckon it would be as rare as rocking horse manure that you would be called upon to donate (there would be more people on the register with a common group therefore more to choose from.) If you do donate bone marrow then you could probably get some time off sick though...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 13-09-2004, 12:36   #22
Senior Member+

I have given blood between 5-9 times now i think if you can you should at the end of the day you never know if you will need it yourself or someone you know. Unfortunatly i had to stop due to a shift change at work but next year my shift will go back and i will then continue to give blood i think its important(well it is to me) and hey you really can call yourself amazing! and you get a little card that proves it!!! And for all those out there who are a little afraid the worst part of giving blood is the little thumb prick to test you iron levels. Gowan, Gowan, Gowan.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 12:39   #23
Resting in peace

I did try to donate years ago, but was told I couldn't because I was anaemic at the time. Also I seem to remember that if you have had some diseases, like glandular fever, you can't donate. Lettie - where can I get a list of proscribed diseases? Only op I have had in the last 10 years is a cataract, so that shouldn't count, as no blood is involved. I do know my group - AB+ - one of the lucky ones, because as Lettie will know, I am the universal recipient, I can take anything! I only have a couple of years to go before age bars me, so I should get a move on.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 20:56   #24
Filthy / Gorgeous

Pendy, try the link that Doug posted on the first page of this thread. It has a who can donate section and will take you through a series of questions. It also has some info re. bone marrow donation but I haven't had chance to read that yet. I'm afraid there's nowt special about my blood group. Common O Positive.... well, that's if they actually manage to find any blood in the wine/strongbow/beer flowing through my veins...

Old 13-09-2004, 22:07   #25
Accy Goddess

I can't donate blood. But I do carry a donor card.
I have also registered with the donor Center.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 09:04   #26
Resident Waffler

I'm still waiting to hear back if they'll have me again. I used to have a little "passport" with tickets stuck in every time I donated, and then an enamelled badge after so many. Goodness knows what ever happened to them.

I hope the donor card system has improved since my father died. He had one but nothing was done. It was such a shame. I could tell you another tale but as it's a bit gruesome I think I'd better not.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..