Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2007, 14:18   #46
God Member

Re: Giving Birth is agony myth!

Is it not the bushwomen of the Kalahari who experiance the least pain in childbirth? They simply go out, when the time is due and squat under the nearest tree. Out it pops with no pain and no need for any medication. Maybe the good ladies of Accy should be following their example - just think of the cost savings, especially to us taxpayers.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2007, 17:17   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
'

Many millions of women in developing countries are not so lucky, no pain relief, no midwife, no doctors and no hospitals, frequent stillbirths and infant deaths, maternal deaths.
'Play it again Tealeaf'

Methinks you should take on board this extract from Lettie's post and ponder over your post ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 19:25   #48
Junior Member+

i thought childbirth was a breeze with my daughter 2 an half hours in labour she was 6 wks early and weighed 4lb 14oz. i thought i'd repeat the process and got pregnant again thinkin your second birth is easier i thought i'd breeze through it again how wrong was i 5hrs of pushing took to theatre give birth normal they put a cathetre in cocked that up and 4months down the line thats how old my son is i still have it in thanks to hospital negligance so i want be doin it again!!
jackrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 07:27   #49
God Member

Reece came out the sunroof so i wouldnt know about giving birth
Old 17-08-2007, 20:45   #50

The pain is unbearable. You don't know whether you or the baby will survive. At the time all you can think about is the pain. I was given morphine and later I had an epidural after screaming for pain relief for a further 50 minutes. It failed and they gave me another epidural about 5 hours later which worked thankfully.

I want another baby desperately. I fight with the decision each day, should I take the risk having another child or not. I don't want my son to grow up with no siblings. I am part of a large family and I know what he'd miss out on. Having seen what I went through, my husband doesn't want to take the risk. If we decide to try for a baby again then we will have made the decision to risk it.

I have absolutely no intention of going through natural labour again - next time it will be an arranged C section. I think the reason women go through childbirth again is because a planned C section becomes an option, where it is rarely encouraged for the first pregnancy.

What I question is why, if there is a safer way to deliver the baby, women are still encouraged to have a natural birth?

With regards to the pain of childbirth measured against the pain caused by gall stones, I would say that the pain of childbirth is almost on a par with it. I had problems with gall stones after the delivery of my baby. The stones blocked ducts causing Pancreatitis and Liver failure and before my baby was 2 weeks old I was back in hospital with this similar pain becoming more intense like contractions. This was more scary though because there was no apparent reason for the pain and no end in sight. It was two months before I had my gall bladder removed so I had several attacks. Comparing it in hindsight, morphine worked as pain relief for the gall stones, but not for childbirth, so maybe childbirth was worse after all.

Please don't assume that women dramatise childbirth, mothers and babies die everyday from the trauma and yet nature finds its way...
JulieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 22:34   #51
Accy Goddess

I have gone through four birth's. The pain from the fibroid has big as a 4 - 5 month pregnant woman was worse.
I had a natural child birth with my first, fairly quick no pain relief at all. With MUMMIBOO a shot of pethidine near the end. Sent me doolally and it still hurt.
The more I had the worse it got.
3 tanks of gas n air and a shot of something or other.
With the 3rd they suggested I had an epidural omg how i wish I hadn't. The needle going in was worse than the birth of my girls. The first top up was giving and then the time came for more and they couldn't find the anesthetist. He'd gone home. Ended up with gas n air. When they pulled the plaster off I could have hit the nurse doing it and swore at her. Got a telling off from Mick. Well it was stuck down firmly to all the little hairs on my back and it hurt like hell.
But I found the after pains hurt more than the actual birth pain.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 22:49   #52
Senior Member+

Yeah yeah thanks for this thread! i will be doing it agin for the 3rd time in a few months time! Owww

The first 2 time were not that bad i only had gas and air both times but that feeling that the nurse was sat there with a lighter burning me was just the worse feeling ever!
Old 18-08-2007, 07:43   #53
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
I have absolutely no intention of going through natural labour again - next time it will be an arranged C section. I think the reason women go through childbirth again is because a planned C section becomes an option, where it is rarely encouraged for the first pregnancy.

What I question is why, if there is a safer way to deliver the baby, women are still encouraged to have a natural birth?

Caesarian Section is actually the most dangerous way for both mother and baby. Babies come out vaginally for a reason, the crushing that babies experience during birth empties their lungs of fluid and prepares them to breathe. Babies born by CS retain lung fluid and are far more likely to have breathing difficulties and need ventilating.
Women who have sections are more likely to develop fatal embolisms, wound infections, have greater blood loss, more pain (for several months after the surgery in some cases), anaesthetic complications and be less able to care for their new baby. Insurance companies do not allow you to drive for at least 6 weeks after a section. At a lot of hospitals now, C Section for no other reason than maternal request is not an option as it carries a much higher mortality rate than a normal birth.
In other words, planned C Section is not the easy option....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 12:14   #54

Well I for one have learned from this thread,didn't realise the cons of Caesarian Section.Though I must admit I am influenced by the fact that my own daughter was born after a long,long labour and was very ill as a result!
Good luck to all those nearing this hopefully happy time.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 12:24   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Well I for one have learned from this thread,didn't realise the cons of Caesarian Section.Though I must admit I am influenced by the fact that my own daughter was born after a long,long labour and was very ill as a result!
Good luck to all those nearing this hopefully happy time.
I didn't know c-section was so dangerous and I had two(not by choice). They are painful and also you take more time to recover than with a natural birth. May I wish any of you that are pregnant now all the best, hope all goes well, rather you than me!
Old 18-08-2007, 12:39   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I didn't know c-section was so dangerous and I had two(not by choice). They are painful and also you take more time to recover than with a natural birth. May I wish any of you that are pregnant now all the best, hope all goes well, rather you than me!
I've given birth both ways.My first one was natural,my second was a caesarean due to my baby being breech.Personally,I felt 10 times worse after giving birth naturally than I did after my c-section but that was mainly due to having lots of stitches in a very private place with my first baby!.I did not suffer nearly as much pain with my c-section and felt a lot more cheerful in myself afterwards.Everybody's different though and like Lettie said,a c-section is major abdominal surgery and does carry certain risks that should not be undertaken lightly.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 12:48   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I've given birth both ways.My first one was natural,my second was a caesarean due to my baby being breech.Personally,I felt 10 times worse after giving birth naturally than I did after my c-section but that was mainly due to having lots of stitches in a very private place with my first baby!.I did not suffer nearly as much pain with my c-section and felt a lot more cheerful in myself afterwards.Everybody's different though and like Lettie said,a c-section is major abdominal surgery and does carry certain risks that should not be undertaken lightly.
My first was cause baby was breech, but with my second I was told I could have a natural birth. After a long time in labour it was decided a c-section was needed, wasn't best pleased but had no choice in the matter. As long as you are both ok in the end it is irrelevant how baby is born.
Old 18-08-2007, 12:50   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
As long as you are both ok in the end it is irrelevant how baby is born.
True,Bernadette.That's all that matters in the end.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:20   #59
God Member

Every birth is different!!

My first was 37 hour labour, very very painful, had pain relief up to eye balls, he was 8lb 8 and stitched up to eyeballs too lol

2nd, 8 hrs labour, gas and air towards the end!! painful but manageable!! 7lb 11oz, no stitches home same day!!

I think labour with 2nd 3rd kids etc is just as painful, but at least you know what it is going to be like. No-one can prepare you for the pain you will experience with your first!!

I remember when I was about 4 month pregnant with my second, one day I was sat on the bed thinking about having him, and I cried...... I cried because it hit me like a ton of bricks just how painful my first was!! But actually I enjoyed the birth of my second, mainly because I felt in control!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 16:40   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Every birth is different!!

My first was 37 hour labour, very very painful, had pain relief up to eye balls, he was 8lb 8 and stitched up to eyeballs too lol

2nd, 8 hrs labour, gas and air towards the end!! painful but manageable!! 7lb 11oz, no stitches home same day!!

I think labour with 2nd 3rd kids etc is just as painful, but at least you know what it is going to be like. No-one can prepare you for the pain you will experience with your first!!

I remember when I was about 4 month pregnant with my second, one day I was sat on the bed thinking about having him, and I cried...... I cried because it hit me like a ton of bricks just how painful my first was!! But actually I enjoyed the birth of my second, mainly because I felt in control!!
I was so looking forward to my second, cause I thought it was going to be a natural birth. Was both angry and disappointed when I had to have the c-section cause I had to be asleep again! Both of mine were in neo-natal unit so it was weird cause everyone else had a baby with them and I didn't. I suppose I shouldn't moan cause they were both ok, it is just that you don't experience that bonding in the same way!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..