Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Thirty thousand quid on the Globe Centre
I am in favour of the council spending £30,000 3 11.11%
The Council has better things to spend the money on 24 88.89%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 15:21   #1
God Member

Globe Centre

Are you in Favour of the Council spending £30,000 on a sculpture/landscaping outside the Globe Centre?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-06-2004 at 15:28.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2004, 15:34   #2
Roy
Administrator

Re: Globe Centre "Artwork"

Yes, it's about time they spent a bit of money on making things look nice. Hope they don't mess up again like last time with the fountains though.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 15:34   #3
God Member

Which idiot has just voted in favour? Come on, own up!
Old 01-06-2004, 15:36   #4
God Member

Oh Hello Roy...did'nt realise it was you.....
Old 01-06-2004, 15:38   #5
Roy
Administrator

hehe, yup tis I - I also hope they get a bit more money and do some more gardening and nice things around the town.
Old 01-06-2004, 15:46   #6
God Member

Do you think they would be spending £30,000 on a sculpture if their offices weren't next to it. I dont think so!!

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 15:48   #7
God Member

Forgot to add, where did they get the money? last I heard they were millions of £ in debt

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 15:56   #8
Resting in Peace

I hope whatever they put up is a lot better than the ones they put in Blackburn & Preston
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 15:59   #9
Roy
Administrator

Hmmm... I am actually reconsidering my vote. I'm a bit unhappy that this 30,000 is not going towards the hollywood style accrington sign on the coppice or a UFO. Now if they said they would get the money for that AS WELL as this, I would be a happy chappy.
Old 01-06-2004, 16:02   #10
God Member

I've no problem with the landscaping scheme...just keep it nice & simple. Nor do I have a problem with some form of vandal-proof artwork outside the building - providing that the ratepayer does'nt pay for it.....there are far greater priorities around Hyndburn - beginning with Broadway.

But I have a second objection to this scheme, as far as I understand it. The concept of the large wheel being taken from an otherwise complete (although in pieces) steam engine and dumped in concrete is no less than a crime of unwarrented vandalism of the first degree. That engine was left (more than 20 years ago) to the people of Church on condition it was displayed somewhere prominently in the town. I don't mind if it is to go elsewhere in Hynburn - BUT IT SHOULD REMAIN INTACT. I can only say the artist whose concept this is is a moron (the few artists I know would raise their hands in horror over this)...of course, it is possible this has been though up by a committee, which appears much more likely, given our present council.

We will be losing a major piece of our industrial heritage if this happens...it has to be stopped.
Old 01-06-2004, 16:16   #11
Roy
Administrator

ok, I obviously don't know the full story.. steam engine? 20 years ago? large wheel? the globe? 30,000? Putting all this together has made my head hurt... please explain more, i haven't read the observer or telegraph due to location! If they have got a steam engine then it certainly should be kept intact...
Old 01-06-2004, 16:48   #12
God Member

Re: Globe Centre

The thumbnail is a similar engine - in this case, it used to be in a mill in Burnley. It now has pride of place inside the entrance of the Science Museum in London. Our Council - in all their infinite wisdom - have decided that, having obtained their "own" engine, they are now going to take the huge fly wheel and dump it in concrete outside their HQ; the rest of the machine will invariably be scrapped. Just to give you an indication of scale, each of the"spokes" on the wheel are about 8ft long

Do you not see now why this is madness?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exg02_1.jpg (93.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-06-2004 at 16:56.
Old 01-06-2004, 17:01   #13
Roy
Administrator

So, this 30,000 is making a sculpture/landscaping out of the flywheel from an old steamengine? Man, that is crazy. 30,000 on nice gardens fine. But plonking a piece of an old steam engine there is stupid. The steam engine should be plonked on the middle of the roundabout under the viaduct, as a complete unit and nice and high up like a statue. That would be a great centrepiece for good old industrial accy!
Old 01-06-2004, 17:07   #14
God Member

Re: Globe Centre

My own opinion says assemble it somewhere along Dunkenhalgh Way/Hyndburn Road...so it stays in Church - as was the original bequest - and it has an impact for people driving into the town (this is the main route into Accy now).....that way, as a stranger entering the town for the first time, you get the first "wow" when you see the assembled engine and the second "wow" when you see the viaduct and drive round...the engine by the viaduct, togeather, could be to much of a distraction and possibly cause accidents.
Old 01-06-2004, 17:11   #15
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
the engine by the viaduct, togeather, could be to much of a distraction and possibly cause accidents.
hehe, now you are thinking like a councillor. Stop that at once!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..