Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2013, 11:51   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Going to Your Mate House for Lunch, Taking a Pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Can someone please talk me through this one, please.
What is the point in anyone replying to you - not to mention talking you through it : if you don't return back to the threads you start and make another comment??
Wynonie Harris, flashy and jaysay like this.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:04   #17
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
What is the point in anyone replying to you - not to mention talking you through it : if you don't return back to the threads you start and make another comment??
Rob, I think perhaps he has misread how most of us on here see things...well, for this thread he certainly has.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 12:17   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Rob, I think perhaps he has misread how most of us on here see things...well, for this thread he certainly has.
Always the Diplomat.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:31   #19
Beacon of light

Thank you Cashy. I try to see the best in people....I don't always succeed, but I do try.
Studio25 likes this.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:38   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Sad as the situation is as usual the press & public opinion are focusing on the Dogs & not the owner. A Dog is what it is, a pack animal that follows & responds to a hierarchy. The animal itself isn't inherently vicious & aggressive without provocation or other relevant stimuli.

Already the hue & cry is about dangerous Dogs & should the list be reassigned, utter crap ! Some of those animals classed as dangerous breeds can be the most responsive & loving family pets when trained, understood & handled correctly while those deemed suitable can be equally as vicious & nasty.

I'd personally put the problem down to owners & not animals as the the root cause of most Dog attacks.
Sounds about right that Dave, my parents had three West Highland Terriers and they could all bite you for fun, especially when you weren't expecting it, although not life threatening they could probably scare a kid to death
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 14:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Two days ago I was walking to work over Whiteash playing fields when a (very petite ) woman appeared with two huge mastiffs off the lead. One of them spotted me and made a beeline. I nearly fainted with fear, I'd just been watching the news about that poor girl. She started shouting it back and it ignored her at first, luckily it turned back at the last minute. How the hell is someone who couldn't weigh more than eight stone going to control two huge, muscular dogs like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Sad as the situation is as usual the press & public opinion are focusing on the Dogs & not the owner. A Dog is what it is, a pack animal that follows & responds to a hierarchy. The animal itself isn't inherently vicious & aggressive without provocation or other relevant stimuli.

Already the hue & cry is about dangerous Dogs & should the list be reassigned, utter crap ! Some of those animals classed as dangerous breeds can be the most responsive & loving family pets when trained, understood & handled correctly while those deemed suitable can be equally as vicious & nasty.

I'd personally put the problem down to owners & not animals as the the root cause of most Dog attacks.
I agree wholeheartedly. Many people who get dogs get them as a 'thing' and are unconcerned with training the animal or caring for it properly-and they're not the worst ones-along from this are those who actually aggravate the dog's instincts to protect and ability to fight to the death

As for the bullmastiffs-I think if a dog no matter the size what size is well bred, taken care of and respect for their owner is cultivated, I don't think it matters the comparative size of the owner.

My man is a foot taller than me and weighs 7 and a half stone heavier than I. Our dog is FAR more respectful of me than of him-she runs rings around him, because he lets her. I've had to train him as well as her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Thank you Cashy. I try to see the best in people....I don't always succeed, but I do try.
Me too Marg, but with some people I find it's frequent that I'm FAR too optimistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sounds about right that Dave, my parents had three West Highland Terriers and they could all bite you for fun, especially when you weren't expecting it, although not life threatening they could probably scare a kid to death
I love dogs generally but I have to admit a little yappy dog will usually have me far more wary than a large one!
I guess I've always been around larger dogs so I'm more used to them
Old 29-03-2013, 20:32   #22
Full Member+

I agree with you DaveinGermany, I'm not a soft arse. My dog is a five stone, larger than average staffie that we rehomed from the local pound a couple of years ago. It definitely is the owners. I understand people are scared when they see a large dog. People cross the road when I take Arnold for a walk but I know he is the most unagressive dog. Wouldn't stop me being scared of him if I didn't know him though. I wouldn't put the fear of God in to people with him being off the lead. He's always under control when on a walk.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 21:26   #23
Senior Member+

Totall agree it's the owners not the dogs. Owners need training as well as the dogs
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 21:44   #24

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Totall agree it's the owners not the dogs. Owners need training as well as the dogs
I'll agree that the chances of an attack are reduced with a good owner and well trained dog..but, all dogs are animals and unpredictable...that soft, loving, ball of fur can become a wall of lethal teeth in an instant given the wrong circumstances...regardless of whether its a miniature Yorkie that punctures your jugular or an Irish Wolfhound that rips your head off.

Was listening to the radio yesterday, a copper rang in to say that they had tried standard poodles as police dogs at one point. They were smarter and stronger than German Shepherds but the public perception was that poodles didn't have the same fear factor
Old 29-03-2013, 21:51   #25
Senior Member+

I believe that by even commenting on this thread, you are encouraging Gynn to make more threads like this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 12:17   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
DinGermany's post #14 makes a equally similar cogent points, the one group and factor missing here are the breeders.There are some downright reckless and irresponsible breeders out there not only breeding the dogs with the wrong traits and characteristics, but ready to make a fast buck by selling the pups to just about anyone.
Sunflower49 likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 13:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
DinGermany's post #14 makes a equally similar cogent points, the one group and factor missing here are the breeders.There are some downright reckless and irresponsible breeders out there not only breeding the dogs with the wrong traits and characteristics, but ready to make a fast buck by selling the pups to just about anyone.
I spend a fair bit of time trying to help rehome animals-at the moment a staffie and two Akitas -the Akitas were bought from a breeder less than a year ago and they're in danger of being euthanised because the rescue centres we've tried are all full.
I was a fosterer as well but can't at the moment due to my home situation.

People are breeding for greed when rescue centres are struggling.
It makes me really sad
Old 30-03-2013, 13:33   #28
God Member

just incase anyone was getting worried everythings ok here ...

i took the kids for a pasty and so far no fatalities but if i find crumbs in my car that may change

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 13:40   #29
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I believe that by even commenting on this thread, you are encouraging Gynn to make more threads like this.
Since starting the thread there has been no input.
So maybe the message has hit home - only time will tell.
Old 30-03-2013, 13:45   #30
Senior Member+

Same with his last few threads

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..