Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 11:22   #31

Re: Good Old Days?

You are quite right, the thing that is worrying is that so long as this remains the status quo, people will start to take the law into their own hands as they will be left with no other option!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23   #32
God Member

It all comes down to what they as in the CPS consider reasonable force when defending yourself. Its never the same even in identical cases.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25   #33
Give, give, give member

In this week's Observer murder charges were dropped after a man got a young man in a headlock, after he entered the detained man's house, and subsequently died.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:30   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
In this week's Observer murder charges were dropped after a man got a young man in a headlock, after he entered the detained man's house, and subsequently died.
Perfect example of why the law on defending yourself needs to be seen to define reasonable force. One man dies at the hands of another and the "killer" goes free yet I could punch a guy invading my house leaving him with a black eye and dented ego and be jailed for it. What happened to commen sense?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 12:48   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Perfect example of why the law on defending yourself needs to be seen to define reasonable force. One man dies at the hands of another and the "killer" goes free yet I could punch a guy invading my house leaving him with a black eye and dented ego and be jailed for it. What happened to commen sense?
the P.C. brigade got hold of common sense spug.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
the P.C. brigade got hold of common sense spug.
Its about time we claimed it back.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 13:13   #37

PC brigade got hold of common sense? ........No.

They got hold of the government!

Common sense was proven non existent when the country voted for Blair!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 13:26   #38
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
The gang must have been at least four strong, as it said boys and girls, both in the plural.
No......Garinda trust me, there would only be three (although I do like your reasoning).....the general public always exaggerate when they feel aggrieved!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 13:29   #39
Beacon of light

And as for the chap who was let off for killing a teenager who had broken into his house.......he was protecting his property and if the teenager had not been in the house in the first place than he would have come to no harm.....so in effect he sealed his own fate. However, I do think that 'reasonable force' is subjective and therefore difficult to define.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 15:59   #40
Resident Waffler

The difference between then and now isn't that kids start of more daring it's that back in the olden days they quickly learned that there's only so far you can go without suffering the consequences. These days they get away with far more and go on to do worse.

If a kid goes home with a marked leg after being hit by an adult the parents are more likely to sue the adult than to swipe the kid on the other leg.

Police have their hands tied.

And if I'm not careful someone will dock me karma for saying that the lack of a level of acceptable punishment such as was inflicted on Doug and his mates is why things go from bad to worse.

Whatever did you do with a stolen pig Doug?

The most daring thing we ever did was knock on somebody's door and then run. We had a variation on this theme where we tied a string to a door knocker and pulled it from a distance, or tied a string from one door to another one across the road, then knocked on one and when they opened their door it knocked the other knocker across the road. If the string didn't break and they didn't see it in the dark that could last a couple of door openings on both sides.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 16:24   #41
God Member

The nail has been well hand tuely hit on the head there willow.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 16:37   #42
Member.

I would really like to use the word “Liberated” as against stolen Willow, although that’s what it was. There was about six of us at the time, regrettably I was the one to pick it up and walk it out the yard, I would like to make it clear the from the age of nine I have suffered from the guilt of this action and when I reflect on the incident I still do. The animal was released further down Priestly Clough. One expects that it was recovered by the farmer although I have no proof of that.

You are quite right in that if there's no effective punishment things will get worse and it is likely to take a major outrage before the system wakes up and acts in the interest of society.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 16:51   #43
Senior Member+

As willow said, string on door knockers, 3d to get in the sat. afternoon pics, 3d for a mixture at the chippy, take your own basin. A pair of clogs cause I'd kicked the front out of my shoes (had to wear them to church).......... getting a back hander from the local bobby,a second hand bike for christmas, my dad's Austin 7,...... ah yes those were the good old days
Oh the 3d is old money pre 74

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 11-11-2005 at 16:54.
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 17:00   #44
God Member

Pre 7/72 parky.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 17:04   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Pre 7/72 parky.
Aye you are correct, my old mind. 74 was the local county boundry change

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..