Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 14:49   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Good or Bad News - All Dog's To Be Chipped/Insured

Quite agree shillelagh - I just have one question, will insurance stop dogs from attacking people or other dogs?
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2010, 15:12   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Quite agree shillelagh - I just have one question, will insurance stop dogs from attacking people or other dogs?
The answer to that is no
Old 09-03-2010, 16:59   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Our Dog is chipped & every year we pay Dog tax, €78,00. For us it's not really a problem she's a Belgian shepherd & is not on the dangerous Dog list (they have them here too, but strangely enough German Shepherds, Rottweilers & Dobermans, are not on it, considering these are the main kind of dogs used for security/watch so by definition aggressive). But for a pensioner on a limited income perhaps, who has a small terrier or some such for company or as security this seems a bit unfair.

Also the varying States/Counties have their own regional regulations, 15km from us all dogs in public over a certain height & weight must be on a lead regardless of Breed or temperament, further to that the Dogs on the list in public must be insured, muzzled, chipped & their owners to have taken & passed a handlers course to show they are capable enough to own these Dogs.

All this came about round 2003 ish, after some pretty bad attacks from Dogs, not all of which I hasten to add were dangerous Dogs as on the list, some where family pets who one day just turned, but the rise of "Chav-like" individuals & all the associated problems including vicious Staffies, Pit Bulls etc. gave rise to the imposition of these rules. It initially caused a major furore, which has died down greatly but is still in place but not so mindlessly applied by the local authorities & their forces.

As stated we have a Belgian Shepherd, a "Malinois" smooth coated & short haired the other two Groenendael & Tervueren, long haired & thick coated are seldom enough sites here in Germany that people are always curious as to the Breed, mainly because the only other people who have them in numbers are the GCP & DZ (Police & Customs), who use them as sniffers for Arms, explosives, drugs & bodies. Quite amusing when a Police boat cuts across the canal to pull up & ask you about your Dog !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 17:33   #19
Beacon of light

Responsible dog owners will always do the right thing...clean up their dog mess, walk their dog on the lead in public places, ensure their dog is under control.
Irresponsible owners will not do these things and whatever laws are passed will be unenforcible.
The Dangerous Dogs Act has been on the statute books for 20 years...has it made a lot of difference?

Dogs in themselves are not bad...it is the owners who are bad.
I can see many elderly folk having to get rid of their animals because they won't be able to afford the extra expense.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 18:08   #20

I think it's a load of rubbish only responsible dog owners will do it the irresponsible ones probably won't and the cost could be prohibitive for some pensioners who have the dog for company and who would check if owners had insured and chipped their dogs
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 20:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If it results in fewer dogs in towns, I am all for it.
Dogs attacking other dogs happens almost daily in summer on the field next to my place.
Some people bring PACKS of 4 and 6 - for their 'ablutions'.
That level of ownership must be for profitable breeding purposes and should be restricted to rural areas. I would hate to live next door to 6 dogs.
Margaret i once owned 5 but i most cetainly didnt own them for breeding and earning a living out of them,yes i showed and i bred from breed standard health tested bitches but only two of them.what it cost me in having a litter i was lucky to break even on two occasions.
I have my dogs chipped.tattooed and are insured,chipped because if i was to loose one i know if found its easier to reunite with me,tattooed same reason but more so if found by some unsavourly characture.mine are all insured for health reasons alongside 3rd party god forbid one of mine would attack but i consider myself a responsible dog owner so if the unthinkable ever did happen im insured.im not sure about how this law if brought in will be policed im all in favour of any laws that stop the mass breeding of dangerous dogs or bull breeds but im also in favour of any breeder having to have a licence to breed and the breeder will have to sit a interview as to why breed.I honestly wouldnt sell any of my puppies to just anyone and more so the hoodie brigade,all my new owners are vetted and i question them no end as to why they want one of my puppies,ive been known to take a deposit then refund it.Any law concerning dogs suits me because i will abide by it.i always had a licence which i think my last one was about 35p.

The dangerous dogs act of 1991
The 4 dogs on the list of banned dogs under the dangerous dogs act of 1991, (amended 1997) are American Pit Bull Terriers, Dogo Argentinos, Fila Brazilieros and Japanese Tosas. none of which are UK breeds but why can't the same be said about Rottweilers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers? They are not banned, but they have a very bad reputation, especially with children, which hasn’t been helped by children being killed by some of these dogs.Rottie and staffie owners will argue that their dogs are soft and gentle most are but in the wrong hands any dog is a killer

Last edited by Polly_45; 09-03-2010 at 20:05.
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:32   #22
Full Member+

In the area of terraced houses where I live, every other household keeps a dog. During the summer months when they are all consigned to their various back-yards, it's like living next to the Battersea Dog's Home with continuous barking from the various pooches whose only exercise is a weekly trip to the local newsagent - if they are lucky. Come winter the back street is layered with dog dirt because some of the owners simply throw it from their back-yards because they are too damned idle to dispose of it hygienically. I align the problems associated with dog's to the owners and not the animals and the breeding of such, along with having kids, should only be allowed under strict licencing conditions.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:42   #23
Give, give, give member

Dog humped your leg?

Next door's pooch pee'd in you garden?

Granny's mut licked your face, and left you feeling degraded?

Rover frightened your children?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions you could be in for a no fees cash windfall.

Call InsuredDogs today, for a no obligation assessment of your claim.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:09   #24
God Member

As ususal when there are problems with dogs, it's not the poor bloody dogs that are the problem.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:24   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
Rottie and staffie owners will argue that their dogs are soft and gentle most are but in the wrong hands any dog is a killer
Maybe the Germans have the right idea. Rules based on weight sounds sensible. As does handlers courses and lead/muzzle laws.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe the Germans have the right idea. Rules based on weight sounds sensible. As does handlers courses and lead/muzzle laws.
We are still talking about dogs?

You never know with the Germans.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:15   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Dog humped your leg?

Next door's pooch pee'd in you garden?

Granny's mut licked your face, and left you feeling degraded?

Rover frightened your children?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions you could be in for a no fees cash windfall.

Call InsuredDogs today, for a no obligation assessment of your claim.
Think that's spot on Rindi, bet some one is registering a company even now, anything for a fast buck
Old 10-03-2010, 15:35   #28
Resting in Peace

Come on sunshine where's that dangerous dog of yours

Last edited by Neil; 10-03-2010 at 19:12. Reason: fixed link
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:06   #29
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We are still talking about dogs?

You never know with the Germans.

Rinda ! When they're not out on World tours, pinching all the sunbeds & beating us at Footy, they have been known to come up with some reasonable inventions & ideas.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 17:31   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Rinda ! When they're not out on World tours, pinching all the sunbeds & beating us at Footy, they have been known to come up with some reasonable inventions & ideas.
I was referring to the mention about laws, rules, and standards, and hinting that anything that didn't meet those standards would be off on the train to concentrations camp...which were of course a British invention, first used in South Africa.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..