Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 16:14   #16
God Member

Re: Grahams Maiden Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It might also be worth bearing in mind that an Oxford education, whilst looking rather impressive on a CV, is of little use in dealing with matters pertaining to Accrington. Digesting vast chunks of Chaucer whilst idling through the Cloisters won't be of much assistance when you're trying to work out things such as tax relief for working men's clubs.

Common sense and a firm understanding of the people you represent is of far more value on the doorstep than any official qualification.
The value of an Oxford Education (or any education for that matter) lies more in the inculcated ability to think before you ink than it does in the matter studied and also in the social and professional connections it affords those fortunate enough to attend. I believe that HMRC have a range of manuals available to assist in calculating liability for tax. Would you like me to give you their web adddress?
Old 02-08-2010, 17:47   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yeah...ya only have to ask Mr Cameron's Pakistani Fan club to verify that!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Ya it appears our Pakistani friends don't like the truth
Old 02-08-2010, 17:55   #18
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
The value of an Oxford Education (or any education for that matter) lies more in the inculcated ability to think before you ink than it does in the matter studied and also in the social and professional connections it affords those fortunate enough to attend. I believe that HMRC have a range of manuals available to assist in calculating liability for tax. Would you like me to give you their web adddress?
It had very little to do with calculating the tax liability of working men's clubs (MPs aren't elected to do your tax returns) and more to do with reducing the overall tax bills of such clubs across the borough, an action which has relieved some of the burden faced by establishments based on an increasingly expensive pastime (ie. a well-deserved pint after work).

I still fail to see how an Oxford education would improve Graham's ability to fight the corner for Hyndburn. He is erudite and knowledgeable about the things which are pertinent to his position as MP for this borough so why would a classical education be of any significance? If anything, a percieved 'Oxford toff' probably wouldn't have been voted in.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 02-08-2010 at 17:58. Reason: Spelling error - tsk!
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 18:01   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It had very little to do with calculating the tax liability of working men's clubs (MPs aren't elected to do your tax returns) and more to do with reducing the overall tax bills of such clubs across the borough, an action which has relieved some of the burden faced by establishments based on an increasingly expensive pastime (ie. a well-deserved pint after work).

I still fail to see how an Oxford education would improve Graham's ability to fight the corner for Hyndburn. He is erudite and knowledgeable about the things which are pertinent to his position as MP for this borough so why would a classical education be of any significance? If anything, a percieved 'Oxford toff' probably wouldn't have been voted in.
As far as Hyndburn concerned your spot on Ken, I'd sooner see a Local Labour MP than a Tory outsider, that's why I abstained at the General in May
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16   #20
God Member

Oh for goodness sake, Ken, read my post again. I wasn't suggesting that Graham should be educated at Oxford, he is a bit long in the tooth for that but pointing out to him that Dennis Skinner was educated there, and as such, is likley to be a good deal more complex a character than his impression of plain speaking honesty might at first sight suggest. My warning was for Graham to be careful, graduates of Oxford University can be slippery characters. Dennis Skinner has not been able to hang on to his seat and dance on and off the National Executive Committee for over forty years just by dint of plain speaking, there is more to him than just that.

What is it with you labour types, do you always have to be so depressingly defensive? Chips are meant to be eaten, not worn as a item of fashion.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30   #21
God Member

Bob - maybe your verbose, embellished style of writing leads to misunderstandings.
Do you really speak like that in conversations face to face?

PS. or are you Irish? - I have found that they say 6 words when 3 would do

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:13   #22
God Member

Hi Margaret, perhaps you would prefer it if I wrote in monosyllables or textspeak. I am not Irish and I resent the implication that I might be.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24   #23
God Member

Quote:
Hi Margaret, perhaps you would prefer it if I wrote in monosyllables or textspeak. I am not Irish and I resent the implication that I might be.
That's better - concise and straight to the point

PS some really nice people are Irish, but I never had enough patience to finish reading Ulysses

Last edited by MargaretR; 03-08-2010 at 12:28.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47   #24
God Member

I have never experienced the temptation to even consider reading 'Ulysses', let alone finish it. And I am afraid Daniel O'Donell just makes me want to vomit.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:02   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have never experienced the temptation to even consider reading 'Ulysses', let alone finish it. And I am afraid Daniel O'Donell just makes me want to vomit.
I believe Daniel speaks very highly of you too Bob
Old 03-08-2010, 19:14   #26
God Member

Quote:
Perhaps you should read "Ulysses"; it will teach you more about the development of English than most text books will. And I agree with MargaretR: you should eschew obfuscation
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 20:02   #27
God Member

Ulysses is no more than a bedtime story for grown-ups; lie in bed, read the first page and by half way through the second you will be fast asleep. It's boring nonsense, the pages fit only for lining the bottom of your budgie cage.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:05   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Ulysses is no more than a bedtime story for grown-ups; lie in bed, read the first page and by half way through the second you will be fast asleep. It's boring nonsense, the pages fit only for lining the bottom of your budgie cage.
Mind you you'll end up with well read budgies
Old 04-08-2010, 13:16   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya it appears our Pakistani friends don't like the truth
Oh yes i'd agree with that Jaysay, however i've noticed that the media have been somewhat more benevolent towards Cameron on this than they would have been if Brown had said the same thing!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:02   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Oh yes i'd agree with that Jaysay, however i've noticed that the media have been somewhat more benevolent towards Cameron on this than they would have been if Brown had said the same thing!

Best Regards - Taggy
Or could it be that even the media thing that he was right too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..