Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 17:08   #1
God Member

Green Disks and Bus Stations

Announced in the Observer this week is the end of the Green Disk parking scheme. Apparently HBC are at last begining to act on what people have been saying to them. The provision of longer stay parking spaces is also to be revised.

However, the council, in the shape of the Idiot-in-Chief, has thrown their weight against developing a new bus station closer to the railway station. They want to keep the Peel Street Bus Station as it is.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 11-09-2005 at 17:10.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-09-2005, 17:21   #2
God Member

Re: Green Disks and Bus Stations

There are fundamental flaws with the current bus station (or should I just call it the bus street?). Surely, if the town centre stands any chance of developing or expanding, they need more space in the bus stop.

Only problem is that I think most of alternatives would have to be quite radical.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 17:27   #3
God Member

Barking Britcliffe claims that because not enough people use a combination of train and bus it does not make economic sense to move the Bus Station.

I would have thought that the one of the main objects of the exercise was to encourage more people out of cars and on to public transport and the reason that they do not make use of combined services is because it is just too damned inconvenient with the way it is set up at the moment.
Old 11-09-2005, 17:40   #4
I am Banned

It quite hectic at the bus station & has had services changed & stops moved. Thing is there isn't anywhere really to put it altho keeping it where it is will be less hassle for bus travellers, altho being hectic for shoppers walking at either side of Peel street clambering past awaiting bus passengers, dont know what the solution is really & keeping with heritage the bus station has mainly been there longer than local car parks.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 18:11   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't like the green disk scheme on the whole. I can see a problem when it goes, all the people who work in Accy and park on the multi story at the moment have to park at the top. Without the green disks they will park lower down again. This will mean us shoppers will have to park at the top.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 19:18   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
There are fundamental flaws with the current bus station (or should I just call it the bus street?). Surely, if the town centre stands any chance of developing or expanding, they need more space in the bus stop.

Only problem is that I think most of alternatives would have to be quite radical.
HBC wants to compete with Blackburn and Burnley but are either narrow mind or short sighted maybe both. If as Gayle says "most of alternatives would have to be quite radical"
and there is no option then HBC need to get a set and think radical before they destroy Accy completely.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 21:28   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I don't like the green disk scheme on the whole. I can see a problem when it goes, all the people who work in Accy and park on the multi story at the moment have to park at the top. Without the green disks they will park lower down again. This will mean us shoppers will have to park at the top.
agree with that neil also the bus station as is a joke,dangerous were it is sited and a real log jam, needs careful thought about re-siting in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:13   #8
God Member

Just a thought, When the discs go how long before HBC see the opportunity to introduce Pay & Display to 'ease the parking problems?(Which of course will do exactly the opposite as everyone will move from the car parks to trying to find a space on the streets)
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:24   #9
Resident Waffler

The council have promised that free parking will continue because they believe it encourages people to come to Accy. (Seem to remember I said that once. It doesn't take 'em long to catch on does it?)

As for the bus street. Before they changed things by siting the open market up the side of the market hall there were even times then that the buses got in each other's way but it was a darned site better than it is now. Some of the ones up on Bridge Street are so tucked out of the way that some people don't even realise there are bus stops up there. They think they are just parked up for a break (as some are). What kind of a bus station has some of the stops round a corner (ie Infant Street) and some in a parallel street? It's nonsense.

And that's quite apart from the silly siting of the Fern Gore stop where pedestrians can't get up and down Peel Street for the queue, which never knows which direction it's meant to queue in and which gets soaking wet when it rains due to the pathetic little "shelter". We had some decent bus shelters once which actually kep the rain off.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..