Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2013, 20:23   #271
God Member

Re: Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I'd rather say it with flowers!!!!
Gun laws in the Big Easy are, well, pretty relaxed.

Louisiana Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Louisiana?

You'll notice that the only time background checks are done is if someone is applying for CCW ... somehow, I don't think criminals make applications The Big Easy is a great city ... some of you may have visited. Especially in Mardi Gras ... great bars and clubs, fantastic music, food to die for, hot sexy cajun women But, as you walk through the fantastic streets of New Orleans, remember that a lot of the folks you bump into are packing ... just don't bump into them too hard.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2013, 08:57   #272
Full Member+

I've seen New Orleans on tv programmes, it looks a really interesting place. Wouldn't mind visiting but coming from 'little ol'England' I think that knowing that people are walking around casually carrying guns, I'd find it a bit intimidating. The food looks fantastic though you can keep your 'hot Sexy cajun women'!!!
Old 14-05-2013, 13:12   #273
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We have been twice once fer Mardi Gras then year after too see New Orleans. Its our all time favourite city, Love the place n the people, certain districts yeh avoid certainly, But the French Quarter is far from intimidating, cos the boss thought it would be, first time we went, changed her mind big time.
Old 14-05-2013, 14:06   #274
God Member

Sometimes cities get a reputation they don't deserve.
My grandson spent two summers working at a summer camp in New Hampshire, and on the way back to the airport he spent a few nights in Harlem - he was surprised how friendly the people were, and he didn't feel threatened at all.
cashman likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 15:41   #275
Full Member+

My son has also been to Harlem and he too said he never felt threatened. I was the one more worried at home!!
Old 14-05-2013, 16:35   #276
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
We have been twice once fer Mardi Gras then year after too see New Orleans. Its our all time favourite city, Love the place n the people, certain districts yeh avoid certainly, But the French Quarter is far from intimidating, cos the boss thought it would be, first time we went, changed her mind big time.
Have you watched Treme Mr C?
Great drama on the aftermath of Katrina and fabulous music too?

I too have had some great times in the city...
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:12   #277
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I once went on a tour of the Kasbah in Tangiers, its only now, when I look back that I realise how lucky we were to come out in tact, it wasn't an organised tour from the ship, just a local lad on the dockside who said he'd shows places where the official tours didn't go. We were equally surprised when we gave him a ten bob note, it was like he'd won the pools, he went dancing down the dock holding it aloft like a trophy followed by a load of young kids, by the way it was 1964 this took place
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:42   #278
Senior Member+

I have been in a few "wrong" places in my time, decidedly hairy in a couple of them - Riyadh old soukh and chop square, Lahore, Mirpur in Pakistan, Bombay, wrong side of the tracks in Baltimore and Washington, but never felt really threatened. Tucson at a swap meet where there were so many chaps with guns on their hips and large knives on their legs and probably the worst of all, Agua Preta and Nogales in Mexico and South Tucson - there I did feel nervous. Mustn't forget Cyprus, Singapore, Sarawak and Borneo especially Tawau, Aden and West Berlin where you didn't go out on your own during the cold war.
Most unsavoury places are OK if you do not get isolated and keep your wits about you.
Old 15-05-2013, 08:42   #279
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I have been in a few "wrong" places in my time, decidedly hairy in a couple of them - Riyadh old soukh and chop square, Lahore, Mirpur in Pakistan, Bombay, wrong side of the tracks in Baltimore and Washington, but never felt really threatened. Tucson at a swap meet where there were so many chaps with guns on their hips and large knives on their legs and probably the worst of all, Agua Preta and Nogales in Mexico and South Tucson - there I did feel nervous. Mustn't forget Cyprus, Singapore, Sarawak and Borneo especially Tawau, Aden and West Berlin where you didn't go out on your own during the cold war.
Most unsavoury places are OK if you do not get isolated and keep your wits about you.
You'll need your wits about you Barrie the first time you go to Old Trafford then
Old 15-05-2013, 11:56   #280
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You'll need your wits about you Barrie the first time you go to Old Trafford then
Been to quite a few worse than OT - the Den, Anne Boleyn, Anfield, Carrow Rd to name but a few - only 7 years old when I went to Deadwood so don't remember that. I gather that is still a forgettable occasion for many
Old 15-05-2013, 14:03   #281

A well travelled friend of mine, once said the best thing you can do is make sure you don't look like a tourist.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 14:24   #282
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
A well travelled friend of mine, once said the best thing you can do is make sure you don't look like a tourist.
A friend of mine that travelled once with all the equipment of a tourist, never came back.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 17:16   #283
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Been to quite a few worse than OT - the Den, Anne Boleyn, Anfield, Carrow Rd to name but a few - only 7 years old when I went to Deadwood so don't remember that. I gather that is still a forgettable occasion for many
The only problem with OT is there's no atmosphere even though its the biggest league ground in the country, mind you it is filled with plastic fans
Old 15-05-2013, 21:55   #284
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only problem with OT is there's no atmosphere even though its the biggest league ground in the country, mind you it is filled with plastic fans
There was plenty when I was there in January - you can only go off hearsay but willing to bet you would love some of your so called "plastics" at Deadwood
Old 15-05-2013, 23:10   #285
God Member

Quote:
There was plenty when I was there in January - you can only go off hearsay but willing to bet you would love some of your so called "plastics" at Deadwood
they did have quite a lot of plastic fans almost the day after they got promoted to the premier league but they soon dwindled away when they started dropping down the league and are now even loosing their loyal fans thanks to venkies.

Maybe burnley can lend them a few supporters and show a bit of support for a local club thats not doing quite as good as they are
cashman and Barrie Yates like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..