Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2010, 08:39   #1
Senior Member+

Hard Times Ahead (UK v America)

As all the political leaders tell us we are in for tough times ahead after the election, i was wondering how things compare in the USA at the moment. After all we are constantly reminded that the economic crises was created in America, what is the current and predicted state of their economy in comparison to ours?

I'm not a great follower of American Politics, so was wondering if the yanks are in as deep a pile of excrement as we are, and if so what Mr Obama is doing about it, and how the lives of ordinary American's have been affected.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2010, 08:52   #2
Common Sense Member

Re: Hard Times Ahead (UK v America)

They're actually in a lot deeper than we are by all accounts although they too seem to have someone at the helm who is steering the country towards recovery. As it stands, we're actually recovering at a fractionally faster rate than many other countries and it is due to Gordon Brown. He is probably one of the least popular Prime Ministers we've ever had but he does know a thing or two about economics.

If things carry on as they are for Great Britain then we'll be back to 'normal' within about three years but America has deep rooted problems, mainly brought on by the banks. The greed over there is having a knock-on effect around the world and this Goldman-Sachs business is another example.

At least British banks are now aware that pretty much everyone in the country is watching their every move so they can't afford to screw up again anytime soon.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 09:21   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
If things carry on as they are for Great Britain then we'll be back to 'normal' within about three years
I admit I don't know much about economics, but I think you may be being a tad over-optimistic there, Ken!
Old 30-04-2010, 09:34   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I admit I don't know much about economics, but I think you may be being a tad over-optimistic there, Ken!
You have to make allowances for Labour Members Wyn they've been been washed Crisis what crisis, where have I heard that before
Old 30-04-2010, 09:53   #5
Super Moderator

Don't think any of the three leaders are telling us the real truth about just how brutal the cuts and tax rises will have to be. To do so now would be electoral suicide. Whoever gets in will be taking a poisoned chalice anyway, because the measures they'll have to take will make them so unpopular that they'll have no chance of getting re-elected in five years' time!
Old 30-04-2010, 10:16   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Whoever gets in will be taking a poisoned chalice anyway, because the measures they'll have to take will make them so unpopular that they'll have no chance of getting re-elected in five years' time!
If thats correct Wyn...............There is a God.
Old 30-04-2010, 10:17   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't think any of the three leaders are telling us the real truth about just how brutal the cuts and tax rises will have to be. To do so now would be electoral suicide. Whoever gets in will be taking a poisoned chalice anyway, because the measures they'll have to take will make them so unpopular that they'll have no chance of getting re-elected in five years' time!
Totally agree Wyn, so to say that all will be fine under Labour in three years time is, well, just laughable really, after all we have more debt now hat ever before and we're still borrowing, what was it £155 Billion last month
Old 30-04-2010, 11:59   #8
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Look on the bright side, smile, everything will be fine....

Fair point Steve, but at the present rate we'll be in a much better situation in three years than we are now. A slow, steady climb is probably our best way out of this, to be honest.

Old 30-04-2010, 12:24   #9
God Member

Quote:

best not i heard teh next govenment will be introducing a smile tax

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 12:44   #10
God Member

Have you ever thought about how this 'tax everything' strategy could bring about its own undoing.

It may well reach a stage where all we have left is a 'survival amount' - ie. just enough to prevent starvation.

This level has been reached by some people.
This time 'Let them eat cake' won't be the solution now, any more than it was then, and revolution ensues.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 12:48   #11
Common Sense Member

I've said before that the quickest way out of the recession would to have been a free gift of £5,000 to every UK resident.

How many people would have hoarded it? Relatively few in my estimation, so you get an immediate cash injection into the economy and it still cost the country less than propping up failed banks.

Old 30-04-2010, 13:01   #12
God Member

The USA welfare system has a time limit on payment of unemployment benefits.
There are people who have had their homes repossessed and have no income.They live in tent cities.
They survive on scrounging out of supermarket skips.

This situation is a ticking time bomb.

"When people have nothing left to lose, they 'lose it' " - Gerald Cilente

Old 30-04-2010, 13:02   #13
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
"When people have nothing left to lose, they 'lose it' " - Gerald Cilente
Great quote, I must remember that!

Old 30-04-2010, 13:24   #14
God Member

I misspelt his name - it is Celente
Current Trends, Recession, Business Trends, Technology Trends | Trends Research Institute

Old 30-04-2010, 13:33   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:

Fair point Steve, but at the present rate we'll be in a much better situation in three years than we are now. A slow, steady climb is probably our best way out of this, to be honest.
"The war will be over by Christmas", "The Titantic will never sink"....

I'll remind you of your words in three years' time!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..