Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2006, 19:55   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Has anybody any idea what this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Was it expensive?
I don't know what they paid for it though it wouldn't be cheap, property in this area has become ridiculously expensive. It wasn't a ruin, just disused. They spent a lot of money modernising it, there was a TV programme about it as it's a listed building so special planning was needed etc., and it must be worth close on a million now.
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2006, 20:50   #17
Senior Member+

probably an outhouse so to speak to keep an eye out for any passing ppl

a place where lookouts cud b established and guards on sentry wud have soemwhere to sleep perhaps

from the small slits for windows - it does make me think it was most likely used for defensive purposes - easy to strike out from hard to fire in to
Old 13-02-2006, 21:11   #18
Resident Waffler

That's interesting yerself. I never knew there was a natural spring anywhre near here. I wonder why they have never made a commercial attraction of it. There is a sort of car park near that ruin whch says it is for customers only but we couldn't work out customers of what as there was nothig obviously on sale there although there is a farmhouse/manor looking sort of place which has mullioned windows on the manor house looking part. We should have photographed that too.

The rabbit is a temporary visitor.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 21:26   #19
God Member

So it could be a watch post for the river or a water tower could have been on the roof or it could just be a folly. Its a single story vaulted room, so it had to have a flat roof for a reason to go to that trouble, also the stair case by the look of it went to the roof because there is only one. Although there doesn't look like there are doors to the roof. If not why only one stair case, was one a single story and the other a two?. The stairs, if nearest the river, and if it is a watch tower, could have been so they could get to the top window.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 22:01   #20
Resident Waffler

Yes the tower with the stairs in is at the side nearest the river. The whole building was so precarious looking that I didn't really want to venture inside. Not to mention being attacked by brambles.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..