Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 14:52   #1
Common Sense Member

HBC Blogging and Social Networking - Banned?

This is a new one.

An article in the LT today states that councillors are getting a new guide on data protection which apparently precludes writing about your work as a councillor on blogs and social networking sites.

Not had anything in my correspondence yet, but if my posts suddenly get a lot more fluffy then you know I've either been gagged or I need to grow a new pair.

If it's true I wonder who came up with that idea?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2011, 14:54   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: HBC Blogging and Social Networking - Banned?

yeh but if ya use the P.M. system others aint gagged.
Old 05-02-2011, 14:58   #3
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh but if ya use the P.M. system others aint gagged.
Who watches the watchers?

You know what the internet is like, nothing is as private as you think.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:00   #4
Senior Member+

What will you do if you are told not to talk about work on here??!!
Seems a bit silly if you ask me but then like you said we have a good idea who came up with it...............
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:00   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Oh am well aware of that, more n one way to skin a cat ken.
Old 05-02-2011, 15:08   #6

Ken it is a report coming to next weeks Cabinet meeting - http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa..._Equipment.pdf
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:22   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Do they class forums like this as social networking?

I can see lots of officers/councillors creating new anonymous accounts on forums if it goes through.
Old 05-02-2011, 15:34   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
This is a new one.

An article in the LT today states that councillors are getting a new guide on data protection which apparently precludes writing about your work as a councillor on blogs and social networking sites.

Not had anything in my correspondence yet, but if my posts suddenly get a lot more fluffy then you know I've either been gagged or I need to grow a new pair.

If it's true I wonder who came up with that idea?
I can actually see the point if the computers or laptops that are used to access the Internet are council owned, but banning councillors from posting about their work on social networking sites, your having a laugh, but if that's the case Ken there's a mate of mine will do you a great deal in carrier pigeons seeing we're going back to the dark ages If your interested PM me
Old 05-02-2011, 15:36   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do they class forums like this as social networking?

I can see lots of officers/councillors creating new anonymous accounts on forums if it goes through.
You mean people like Ken, Neil, if we see a new member called the Laird of Rishton it won't fool us will it
Old 05-02-2011, 15:39   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Unless there's some clause or other in a contract somewhere you've signed up to effectively gagging you, I can't see how that can work ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:40   #11

I think that they do class forums such as this as social networks. however how I understand the document it refers to divulging information that you received because you are councillor and which is privileged. It also deals with not naming people etc.

A lot of the report deals with use of HBC IT equipment and their email system, some councillors have laptops, printers and internet connection provided by HBC, whilst others (myself and Bernard included) get a monthly allowance (which is a taxable) to cover use of their own equipment. It is pretty standard for companies to have a policy regarding what employees can use the companies computer system for.

Neil - if you read my link I would be interested to see what you think of the report.

The thing that concerns me is that they may be trying to censor how I interact on Facebook - which certainly has nothing to do with my role as a councillor. I do have lots of links to Labour Party and Union info but this is in a private capacity.
Old 05-02-2011, 15:41   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Who watches the watchers?

You know what the internet is like, nothing is as private as you think.
Nobody watches or reads anything in the pm system because of the laws the owner has to keep copies of pm's but even he has nor wants an easy way to view them, and for anyone to be able to read them they would have to produce the absolute correct documentation for him to even attempt looking there.
You, me, anyone can pm with the knowledge that they are private.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:54   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
It is pretty standard for companies to have a policy regarding what employees can use the companies computer system for.
Excuse me? How long have Councillors been employed by HBC? Aren't they the peoples representatives placed there to do the bidding of the electorate?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 16:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Excuse me? How long have Councillors been employed by HBC? Aren't they the peoples representatives placed there to do the bidding of the electorate?
I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my post but I was not saying that councillors were employed by HBC - just pointing out that most companies have similar policies for what purposes their IT equipment can be used for and most ban use of certain sites on their computers.

The councillors are definitely the people's representatives.
Old 05-02-2011, 17:13   #15
God Member

thankfully its only called a guide ken.

hope you tell them to stick it up their backsides.

the way this council is getting i wouldnt dare use one of tehir in house computers for fear of ithaving a key logger on the system

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 05-02-2011 at 17:15.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..