Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2006, 04:28   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Health and safety and nuclear

According to the beeb, the government is to ask the health and safety exec to do a survey on which type of reactors are safe they reckon it will take about 18 months.
Nuclear reactors under spotlight

Can I have the job?
A nuclear reactor made from thick layers of lead, concrete and
with thousands of failsafe devices is safer than one made out of
damp paper towels and using your grannies spare bedroom to store
the spent fuel, definitely NOT safe!

There survey done we can all now sleep soundly in our beds and it
didn't take long did it?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2006, 06:44   #2
God Member

Re: Health and safety and nuclear

Jobs for the boys, Less. Seems to be the only thing that this government is any good at.

To change the direction of the thread slightly, if you don't mind, the proposal to develop more nuclear power stations will cost billions upon billions of pounds. It will leave a radioactive pollution legacy all of its own that will scar the countryside and ultimately cost far more to clear up when the stations close than the benefits that they brought. Calder Hall in Cumbria for example will take 100 years to dismantle and clear away.

Would it not be better to invest that money in finding ways to reduce consumption and in ensuring that the energy we produce is used efficiently. At the moment nearly fifty percent of the electrical power we generate is lost through inefficient transmission. I am sure that similar figures will occur when other forms of energy are examined. We are already familiar with the ongoing waste of billions of gallons of water through ancient water mains.

A national, government sponsored, scheme to ensure that every domestic and commercial property in the country was properly insulated would cut consumption dramatically. It would create thousands of jobs and boost tax revenues too. In the seventies we sucessfully organised the re-fitting of every gas appliance in the country to accept North Sea Gas, so it is not as though the idea has no precedent. All it takes is a bit of imagination and a bit of long term thinking.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 23-01-2006 at 06:47.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 21:09   #3
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Health and safety and nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
According to the beeb, the government is to ask the health and safety exec to do a survey on which type of reactors are safe they reckon it will take about 18 months.

Can I have the job?
A nuclear reactor made from thick layers of lead, concrete and
with thousands of failsafe devices is safer than one made out of
damp paper towels and using your grannies spare bedroom to store
the spent fuel, definitely NOT safe!

There survey done we can all now sleep soundly in our beds and it
didn't take long did it?

I do sympathise with your concerns there my friend but i have worked at sellafield for the last 28 years and i am an electrical engineer working on the spent fuel recovery and waste storage program, i can assure you things are a lot more reassuring than you , or the media would have you believe!
haveriggite. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 21:11   #4
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Health and safety and nuclear

Don,t worry about it i have worked there , at Sellafield for 28 years and my bits havn,t dropped off yet!
haveriggite. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 01:44   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveriggite.
Don,t worry about it i have worked there , at Sellafield for 28 years and my bits havn,t dropped off yet!
all 6 of them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 02:21   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveriggite.
I do sympathise with your concerns there my friend but i have worked at sellafield for the last 28 years and i am an electrical engineer working on the spent fuel recovery and waste storage program, i can assure you things are a lot more reassuring than you , or the media would have you believe!
Thanks for that, however if you re-read my first post, I was actually attempting to highlight the jobs for the boys thing H & S to assess which type of reactor is best etc. I have met some of these executives I wouldn't let them assess the best way to fasten a shoe lace.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..