Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2012, 18:46   #1
God Member

Help me out ...

Ok, guys, help me out on this one ... you know, input from someone closer to what's going on.

Marines charged with murder over Afghanistan death | UK news | The Guardian

I know I don't have all the facts, but the story brought to mind an observation made by Captain Willard in "Apocalypse Now" ... Remember when he commented that arresting someone for murder in Viet Nam was kinda like handing out speeding tickets at Indianapolis.

Last edited by Eric; 14-10-2012 at 18:48.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2012, 19:34   #2
God Member

Re: Help me out ...

I am not 'close to the event' but feel the need to comment.

They train men to kill and then complain when they do.

Their victim has been described as 'an insurgent' which is a fancy name for 'enemy'.

The true murderers are the politicians who sent them there.

'Conventions of War' are rules devised by the people who never have to experience front line horror. Those rules are intended to sanitize what war actually is - brutality.

The people who control drones murder civilians but ease their consciences by distance from the kill.

When you train a soldier to kill you brainwash away a bit of his human feelings. The fact that one of them returned with a snuff movie of the event shows how de-humanising military service can be.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 20:03   #3
Senior Member+

Well put, MargaretR.
No one is saying he was an innocent civilian- he was an insurgent.
So he must have been shooting at them or threatening them with a gun or explosives to identify him as an 'insurgent'.
These men are told you can't shoot a man because he has a gun,you can't shoot him if he points it at you, you can only shoot at him if he shoots at you. If that's too late for you tough-those are your 'Rules of Engagement'. How can you fight the Taliban on that basis?
Our troops are trained to kill to survive-but our Defence Secretary says ' they carry cards in their uniforms with the rules on them in case they should need to remind themselves'. What a fool!
'Hold on Mr Taliban,I know you've just tried to kill me/blow me up/killed my friends but just wait a minute while I get my little card out to see what I can do about that'.
In situations like that things may go wrong sometimes but-
What a way to destroy the moral of an army!
Mind you I wonder how someone can be foolish enough to record and keep film of something that at least in the aftermath of the event they know was wrong and broke the 'Rules of Engagement'.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 14-10-2012 at 20:12.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 20:28   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We have been discussing this n it sure beats the hell outa us. If one agrees wi this war or whatever name they wish to put on it, Insurgent = Enemy,Marine= Trained Soldier, End result= Dead Insurgent, So whats the problem.
Old 14-10-2012, 20:46   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The Lads on ops are bound by rules of engagement, Geneva convention & local procedures as dictated by the commanders in the field for ops relevant to prevailing threat levels.

When engaged & live fire is going down any kills are accepted as a necessity of the operational conditions, but from what I can gather, the firefight was over & the insurgent was wounded & a prisoner. Despite how much hatred or hurt there is the prisoner has to be "respected" & not mishandled & more importantly killed after the event. In doing so any soldier steps beyond the bounds of following orders & is open to prosecution for murder.

It's not easy if you've seen your oppoes being killed or maimed , but the Lads can't step beyond what's lawful & will lead to an escalation of barbarity & the our own would be mishandled or murdered if they were taken prisoner, so the rules of engagement are there for that reason.

But this situation would never have arisen had our lads not been there in the first place, being sacrificed for a stinking backward country, rife with corruption, bigotry & medieval attitudes, still we all know who's responsible for that decision don't we.
Old 14-10-2012, 20:48   #6

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Well put, MargaretR.

These men are told you can't shoot a man because he has a gun,you can't shoot him if he points it at you, you can only shoot at him if he shoots at you. If that's too late for you tough-those are your 'Rules of Engagement'.
Rules of engagement state that you can shoot if there is an attack or threat of attack..if he has a gun you can shoot him.

I'm guessing there is more to follow on this, can't see the MOD taking this kind of action unless someone out there had something damning and the proverbial was about to hit the fan.
Old 14-10-2012, 21:24   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Meself i think Rules of Engagement should go out the window when yer fighting terrorists or barnpots that will strap a vest on n blow themselves n many innocents to glory. n not really give a toss who gets blown to hell, The marines had already lost 7 of their mates on that 6 month tour of duty, shouldn't imagine insurgents gave a toss if rules of engagement were followed?

Last edited by cashman; 14-10-2012 at 21:28.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 21:41   #8

What if every week a raffle was held in the House of Commons,with the lucky winner getting an all expenses paid trip to conduct a fact finding mission on the conditions endured by the average squad die in every theatre of war we are involved in. This would include ride alongside and, for those who are physically fit enough, accompanying troops on any but the most dangerous missions. How long do you think we would still be involved in such conflicts?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 21:53   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
But this situation would never have arisen had our lads not been there in the first place, being sacrificed for a stinking backward country, rife with corruption, bigotry & medieval attitudes, still we all know who's responsible for that decision don't we.
The ones who should be on trial are the head of the Special Prosecution service & the whistle blower, what the ell went wrong, that some clown could shop his mates like this.

Last edited by Neil; 15-10-2012 at 09:54. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 03:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The ones who should be on trial are the head of the Special Prosecution service & the whistle blower, what the ell went wrong, that some clown could shop his mates like this.
From what I can gather, there was no whistle blower. A video on a lap top belonging to one of the marines was found by the police investigating a separate matter.

Last edited by Neil; 15-10-2012 at 09:54. Reason: fix quote
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 05:36   #11
Mog

Quote:
The Lads on ops are bound by rules of engagement, Geneva convention & local procedures as dictated by the commanders in the field for ops relevant to prevailing threat levels.

When engaged & live fire is going down any kills are accepted as a necessity of the operational conditions, but from what I can gather, the firefight was over & the insurgent was wounded & a prisoner. Despite how much hatred or hurt there is the prisoner has to be "respected" & not mishandled & more importantly killed after the event. In doing so any soldier steps beyond the bounds of following orders & is open to prosecution for murder.

It's not easy if you've seen your oppoes being killed or maimed , but the Lads can't step beyond what's lawful & will lead to an escalation of barbarity & the our own would be mishandled or murdered if they were taken prisoner, so the rules of engagement are there for that reason.

Let me tell you what would have happened if one of our men/women were captured by the Insurgents/Enemy.These are their rules. They would stone, beat and then parade the person and then publicly Behead them. And thats without looking at a little card. This is a war we shoudnt be involved in, If we dont like what happens. Bring them all home now and let them get on with it.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 08:18   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

These lads are charged wi murdering the same people "Taliban" that shot this 14 yr old girl in the head, A lass who's crime was to work fer education fer women, Wonder if that act comes under Rules Of Engagement. But then the British always abide by the rules,
Old 15-10-2012, 16:07   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Let me tell you what would have happened if one of our men/women were captured by the Insurgents/Enemy.These are their rules. They would stone, beat and then parade the person and then publicly Behead them.
In all probability yes, all of the above & more. But we've signed up to a code of conduct along with the Geneva convention & that is what earns our armed forces the respect & admiration the world over & sets them apart from the creatures they're fighting against.
Old 15-10-2012, 17:30   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
In all probability yes, all of the above & more. But we've signed up to a code of conduct along with the Geneva convention & that is what earns our armed forces the respect & admiration the world over & sets them apart from the creatures they're fighting against.
I can agree with that, especially as it comes from someone who's been there, done it and got the T-shirt.
Old 15-10-2012, 17:52   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I must disagree wi the respect the world over, if yeh had said the "Civilised" world oer i could go wi that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..