Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2007, 10:45   #1
God Member

Help, which fairy tale is this

In a discussion at work we got into a story about a cup that overflows with I think porridge such that it fills the house and won't stop. I can't for the life of me remember anything else.Anyone care to expand further which story it is?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2007, 11:03   #2
God Member

Re: Help, which fairy tale is this

Is it the one where the old man has a box that doubles whatever you put in it, so he first puts in food, then money?
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 11:24   #3
God Member

nope, found it

The magic porridge pot

Once upon a time, a little girl lived with her mother in a tiny cottage. They were very poor, so they often went to bed without any supper. But then the day came when there was nothing left to eat in the cottage, not even a crumb.

"l'll go to the woods and look for nuts and berries," said the little girl, and off she went.

She had not been hunting for long, when she saw a cracker lying on the ground. She picked it up and was just about to take a big bite when she spotted an old man asleep under a tree.

"Excuse me, sir," she said, waking the old man. "Is this your cracker?"

"Why, yes it is," replied the man, "Thand you. I was going to have that for my lunch. I dropped it on my way through the woods. Then I became so tired looking for it that I stopped by this tree to rest." The man then pulled an old black pan out of his knapsack and handed it to the little girl.

"Because you have been so honest, I will give you this magic pan as a present. Take it home and put it on the stove. If you say, " Cook, little pan, cook,' it will hubble and bubble and cook lovely sweet porridge for you all. As soon as you have eaten enough, just say, "Stop, little pan, stop,' and it will stop cooking until you want some more."

The little girl raced back home and showed the pan to her mother. She put the pan on the stove and, sure enough, that little black pan made delicious hot porridge whenever they needed it.

One day, the girl went out by herself. While she was away, her mother grew hungry. She put the pan on the stove and said, "cook, little pan, cook." At once there was a nice warm smell lin the kitchen as pan made delicious, sweet porridge. The little girl's mother enjoyed a good meal.

"I'd better stop the pan cooking now," the mother thought. But, oh dear me! She could not remember exactly what to say.

"Enough, little porridge pot, enough!" she cried in a loud voice.

But the pan went on and on cooking . It cooked until porridge ran over the top of the stove and down the sides.

"No more, little pan, no more!"

Still the pan went on cooking. It cooked until the little cottage was filled right up with porridge.

"Halt,little pan , halt!"

But the pan went on and on cooking . It cooked until porridge flowed out through the windows into the garden. It went on cooking, cooking, cooking, until the whole street was full of porridge. The neighbors were alarmed.

"Hubble, bubble, stop this load of truble!" they cried desperately.

But the little black pan just went on bubbling. Soon the porridge had spread over the fields.

"Suiff, sniff, what queer new food is this?" thought the farm animals.

At last the little girl came home. Quick as a flash she cried, "Stop, little pan, stop."

The pan stopped cooking at once. But the cow, the pigs, the horses, the sheep, and all the people had to eat a lot of porridge before they could get back to their houses.

Last edited by entwisi; 26-03-2007 at 11:26.
Old 26-03-2007, 11:35   #4
God Member

Glad you found it Ian.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 11:44   #5
Resting in peace

Was it Halal or Kosher porrige Ian.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 11:47   #6
God Member

Scotts I believe

Old 26-03-2007, 17:50   #7
Resting in Peace

I must have read this story to my son at least 100 times when he was little .. think I may still have the Ladybird version but it was a little boy, not a little girl, apart from that, just the same.

Funnily enough came out with this command only last week, when my printer at work decided it wished to print out 72 pages of what should have been around 10 !! Didn't work though ! ... my work colleagues thought I had gone doolally with my utterances
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 18:48   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Scotts I believe

Does he know you have it?? Cant beat the old fairy tales for moral lessons.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..