Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2009, 20:34   #1
God Member

Herman who?????

And the new EU President is Herman Van Rompuy???????????? A Belgian. Well, that means more beer and really great chocolate ... but who the hell is he? And how does he qualify for the job? By the time people learn how to pronounce his name, the homogenization of Europe will be complete
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2009, 21:20   #2
God Member

Re: Herman who?????

Just the fact of him having a silly name makes him qualified..Herman Van Rumpuy
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 21:28   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

from what i can gather hes a cool half back! which already marks him way above "Blair" in my eyes.
Old 19-11-2009, 21:29   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Just the fact of him having a silly name makes him qualified..Herman Van Rumpuy
Maybe John Cleese can teach him a silly walk to go along with it.
Old 19-11-2009, 21:49   #5
Super Moderator

I always thought that in modern democracies, presidents were voted into power...which is strange as I don't seem to remember being asked to vote for this particular presidency. In fact I don't seem to remember being asked about whether I actually wanted an EU president in the first place...do any of you?

Absolute farce...what a pity that neither the Labour nor the Tory parties have the guts to give us a referendum on the whole question of EU membership.
Old 19-11-2009, 22:27   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I always thought that in modern democracies, presidents were voted into power...which is strange as I don't seem to remember being asked to vote for this particular presidency. In fact I don't seem to remember being asked about whether I actually wanted an EU president in the first place...do any of you?

Absolute farce...what a pity that neither the Labour nor the Tory parties have the guts to give us a referendum on the whole question of EU membership.
So, along with national identity, democracy seems to be heading down the tubes as well. Seems like leaders such as Palmerston were right when they practised "balance of power" politics. Those of you who know anything at all about history, know that a united Europe has never been in the best interests of the UK.
Old 19-11-2009, 22:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So, along with national identity, democracy seems to be heading down the tubes as well. Seems like leaders such as Palmerston were right when they practised "balance of power" politics. Those of you who know anything at all about history, know that a united Europe has never been in the best interests of the UK.
But one the other hand Eric you can't say a divided Europe has been in the best interests of the UK... two World Wars make a good case for some unity.
Old 19-11-2009, 22:52   #8
God Member

Quote:
But one the other hand Eric you can't say a divided Europe has been in the best interests of the UK... two World Wars make a good case for some unity.
A fair point ... will have to give it some thought (tomorrow will be good, I'm already into my third beer ... Belgian by the way) But one could make the point that the alternative to fighting would have been even worse. Seems to me that the folks who started those bloody wars are now easing their way into the driver's seat in Europe. As General Currie, commander of the Canadian Corps in WWl pointed out, the armistice was a mistake (altho' I know that this is the opinion of a General, not the poor sod in the trenches) and that the Germans should have had the ever loving crap kicked out of them. If this had happened there might have been only one World War ... no Adolf gaining power by playing the "stabbed in the back" card.
Old 19-11-2009, 23:52   #9
God Member

Quote:

I do agree with you Wynonie .. but you did have a vote in the Euro MEP elections... and those Euro MEP's elected this "President"..OK I'm off

Last edited by Mancie; 19-11-2009 at 23:58.
Old 20-11-2009, 18:10   #10
God Member

Quote:
I do agree with you Wynonie .. but you did have a vote in the Euro MEP elections... and those Euro MEP's elected this "President"..OK I'm off
So ... you have as much choice in the matter of EU President as you do for your own PM ... same over here ... the party chooses a leader, and the leader becomes PM ... if the party wins the General Election that is.
Old 20-11-2009, 20:06   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, Euro MEPs elected the new president of the United States of Europe, did they? Could you show me evidence of this vote? Because the way I understand it, this mediocrity was given his plum job over a cosy little dinner last night after much horse-trading by the various heads of state.

So, come on, Mancie, prove me wrong and tell me all about this so-called "election" by Euro MEPs?
Old 20-11-2009, 23:30   #12
God Member

Quote:
So, Euro MEPs elected the new president of the United States of Europe, did they? Could you show me evidence of this vote? Because the way I understand it, this mediocrity was given his plum job over a cosy little dinner last night after much horse-trading by the various heads of state.

So, come on, Mancie, prove me wrong and tell me all about this so-called "election" by Euro MEPs?
I'm wrong MEP's did not directly elect this President and to be honest I have not got a clue how he got the job.
I presume there are several blocks or camps of MEP's and an agreement was reached for his appointment
Old 21-11-2009, 01:10   #13
God Member

Quote:

Indeed you're right. MEPs didn't vote for the new President. That falls upon the council of ministers, comprised of 27 members, 1 for each member state.

Democracy is a swear word in the EU.
Old 21-11-2009, 01:30   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Indeed you're right. MEPs didn't vote for the new President. That falls upon the council of ministers, comprised of 27 members, 1 for each member state.

Democracy is a swear word in the EU.
thanks for that Andrew.. do you have any info on which way the UK's vote went?... seeing as the Tories have twice as many MEP's as labour and the lib-dems I expect our Euro "minister" is Tory.
Old 21-11-2009, 01:49   #15
God Member

Quote:
thanks for that Andrew.. do you have any info on which way the UK's vote went?... seeing as the Tories have twice as many MEP's as labour and the lib-dems I expect our Euro "minister" is Tory.
The MEPs didn't get a say. All 27 member states came to an unanimous decision in favour of Herman Van Rompuy. On our behalf I imagine it was Gordon Brown.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..