Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 20:41   #1
God Member

~Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate In The County

I read in the Observer that Hyndburn has the highest rate of teen pregnancies out of all the County Of Lancashire. I find the figures very sad myself 60.9 out of every 1,000 teenagers became pregnant. What can be done to combat these terrible figures? They are taught about birth control but obviously the message is not sinking in for either girls or boys.

It just makes you wonder if they have any comprehension of what looking after a baby entails. Must say I saw a young girl with a baby whilst at the hospital with Mum and she was little more than a child herself. It just makes me so very sad.
Old 03-04-2009, 20:49   #2
Caz
God Member

Re: ~Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate In The County

Jeez, Bernie, it's a big question. Why it should be higher in Hyndburn I don't know...one thing we can't blame PB for!

It's a thing society as a whole has to tackle, and it has to start at an early age. I don't mean talking about contraception at 5, but instilling some kind of moral standards and respect for fellow human beings..that would be a start. And if the parents are't willing or able to do it, then the broader community needs to. Otherwise we are going in a downward spiral. It's like a lot of things that are wrong with society today, and they all seem to be intrinsically linked.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 20:50   #3
God Member

There's never been so much sex education.

It's done in secondary and primary schools.

However, it would appear it's not having the desired effect.

In my opinion we've got all these teenage pregnancies, not because the kids don't know about contraception, but because there's no deterrent.
Old 03-04-2009, 21:27   #4
Beacon of light

I think you are both right, Caz and Lilly.
Morals and responsibility need to be taught from an early age, not just contraceptive practices....and contraceptive advice is freely available to youngsters...more so that ever before in the past.
The girls today do not seem to be ashamed of being a single mother...it is almost like they are cocking a snook(no pun intended) at society.
The sad thing is that the children of young unmarried women are likely to follow in their mothers footsteps......and yes it is very sad that girls these days do not value themselves more highly....they have so many chances of education and betterment and they are willing to throw it all away for a quick fumble.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 21:47   #5
Caz
God Member

Margaret...Your comment on girls having so many opportunities. Yes they have so many more opportunities in this day and age than ever before, yet so many more girls seem to devalue themselves these days, and the situation seems to be getting progressively worse.

Being "deterred" from getting pregnant shouldn't be the answer Lilly, although i can see where you are coming from.

Unless we can catch the sections of society who seem to grow up with no morals or values at an early age, I don't see the situation changing. Throwing contraceptive advice at them in their teens seems like a last resort. They should be able to grow up knowing what life has to offer, and make choices. But the sad thing is, most of these situations are ongoing and self perpetuating...parents who have grown up with the same lack of aspirations, education, morals, motivation, etc.

The majority of people in society grow up with values and morals, we really need to intervene where we know that isn't going to be the case

- Oscar Wilde
Old 03-04-2009, 21:48   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

I agree with all of the above but I would just add that they are almost encouraged to be sexually active at far too early an age. Sexuality and eroticism is everywhere and even pre-teens are exposed to it. It's all very fine to try to educate them in contraception but we are talking about children here and the majority are too young to readily assume the responsibility. I wouldn't ever want to go back to the hypocricy of previous generations but I think it has become far too "acceptable" for young girls to become pregnant.
Old 03-04-2009, 21:49   #7
God Member

I remember at sixteen when I had met the love of my life, I was invited into the parlour of my intended by her two brothers who were built like two brick S.Houses.
The warning was quite clear. 'If you touch her before you are engaged, we will chop your balls off'
I heeded that warning and kept my tackle....Maybe that is the answer?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 21:54   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The girls today do not seem to be ashamed of being a single mother...it is almost like they are cocking a snook(no pun intended) at society.
Maybe they need to be made to feel ashamed again.

Should they be treated like they have done something wrong?
Should they not get all the benefits they do when they have babies?
Should we reopen Brockhall to put the teenage mothers in like they used to years ago?

I would also like to see the figure broken down a little more. Maybe under 16 and over 16 figures would be interesting. After all an 18 or 19 year woman who is married and has a child is different to a 14 year old.

Last edited by Neil; 03-04-2009 at 21:57.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 21:58   #9
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I remember at sixteen when I had met the love of my life, I was invited into the parlour of my intended by her two brothers who were built like two brick S.Houses.
The warning was quite clear. 'If you touch her before you are engaged, we will chop your balls off'
In some sections of society these days Roy, lads would welcome their sisters copping off within their social group.

I know what you mean, but we really need to get to a point where some of these young girls appreciate what they can offer to society as a whole, and be in control of their destiny, rather than having an unwanted pregnancy warded off by big bro.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 03-04-2009, 21:59   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post

I've always said similar. My husband was a bit taller than my dad (both around 6') and fitter but I know my dad would have chopped Colin up into little pieces and put him in the bin if he'd suspected any "goings on" before we were married. Even when we were engaged I wouldn't have dared run the risk of pregnancy. Today, their parents are unlikely to be married either so - what the hell.
Old 03-04-2009, 22:01   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

this week i have quite a few, what i term "Kids" pushing prams mainly in pairs just odd ones on own, what is apparent to me seeing as most of the pairs were using "Building Site" language very loud i might add, as my hearing is not the best, its a complete lack of upbringing in many cases, no respect, no deterrent, what chance on earth will these children have when they grow up? i really dismay. some of em were actually with their partners, n same score F-ing n Blinding at each other.
Old 03-04-2009, 22:13   #12
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Should they be treated like they have done something wrong?
Should they not get all the benefits they do when they have babies?
Should we reopen Brockhall to put the teenage mothers in like they used to years ago?

I would also like to see the figure broken down a little more. Maybe under 16 and over 16 figures would be interesting. After all an 18 or 19 year woman who is married and has a child is different to a 14 year old.
Devil's advocate again Neil.

No they shouldn't be treated like they have done something wrong, they usually know no better due to their upbringing anyway.

Yes they should get benefits, because the child shouldn't be made to suffer. But saying that, it should be obvious to various agencies that some should be monitored for the sake of the child, to ensure they are being cared for.

The Brockhall comment really doesn't deserve an answer!

We are obviously talking about unwanted pregnancies, not parents of a young age in a "stable relationship or Marriage" which may or may not last.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 03-04-2009, 22:14   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
this week i have quite a few, what i term "Kids" pushing prams mainly in pairs just odd ones on own, what is apparent to me seeing as most of the pairs were using "Building Site" language very loud i might add, as my hearing is not the best, its a complete lack of upbringing in many cases, no respect, no deterrent, what chance on earth will these children have when they grow up? i really dismay. some of em were actually with their partners, n same score F-ing n Blinding at each other.
True,Cashy but just £4 a month off you could make a difference.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 22:15   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
In some sections of society these days Roy, lads would welcome their sisters copping off within their social group.
What are you saying? that the scumbags on the prowl today should be allowed to take up with these young girls unchecked?
You have seen it, I have seen it and so have many others.
Society has lost control and i'ts time that the do gooders realised that the country is in a mess.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 22:18   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
YES YES, they do if they cannot respect the baby n the public Definatly.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..