Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 16:37   #1
God Member

Hint To HBC

As we now have the eyes of the council watching this website may I take the opportunity to bring up another article in todays Telegraph;

More traders at Burnley market as package of support unveiled (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 06-04-2009, 17:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Hint To HBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
As we now have the eyes of the council watching this website may I take the opportunity to bring up another article in todays Telegraph;

More traders at Burnley market as package of support unveiled (From Lancashire Telegraph)
What would be the best thing the Council could do as far as the Market is concerned? I know the layout isnt that great really and could certainly have been covered better for bad weather. Is there a problem with rent levels, are they too high?

I think as far as the Market Hall goes, quite a lot of investment is now going into that, but i do recall that the traders in there have been complaining for years about lack of Council Support/Investment, and now that Investment is being made, quite a few are still unhappy. I know quite a few of the Market Traders are very proactive and want to promote themselves and the Markets, however theres also a lot of them who cant be bothered and seem to think that all promotion and advertising should be purely the Councils responsibility. If they cant be bothered to promote themselves, then why should the council do more than they already are doing?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:06   #3
God Member

Well that was a timely hint, they put the rents up today
Old 07-04-2009, 16:23   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well that was a timely hint, they put the rents up today
They probably had to pay a deposit on the scaffolding that's gone up in the Market Hall.

How much has your rent gone up by, if it's not a rude question?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:41   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
They probably had to pay a deposit on the scaffolding that's gone up in the Market Hall.

How much has your rent gone up by, if it's not a rude question?
45p a week,could be the breaking of me

The minimum rise is 2% but there other rises which are more.
Old 07-04-2009, 16:56   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
45p a week,could be the breaking of me

The minimum rise is 2% but there other rises which are more.
I think any rise at this time, and taking into consideration all the empty stalls, is not very long sighted.

The traders that are there should be receiving every possible bit of help that's going.

Old 07-04-2009, 17:00   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think any rise at this time, and taking into consideration all the empty stalls, is not very long sighted.

The traders that are there should be receiving every possible bit of help that's going.
Exactly. Most people will look at my post and think what the hell is he on about 45p a week, but of course retailers only price in pounds and pence, they work on percentages
Old 07-04-2009, 17:02   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Exactly. Most people will look at my post and think what the hell is he on about 45p a week, but of course retailers only price in pounds and pence, they work on percentages
Any increase at this time seems more than unwise.

As for the amount, pennies make pounds.

Old 07-04-2009, 19:29   #9
God Member

The council 'rate setters' only need look at tv adverts, and some of the offers around at the moment (floors to go, 50% off and free this, that and the other, to name one), to see how hard things are at the moment, raising rents is, in my opinion, extremely stupid, I spoke to a landlord this week, who has reduced the rent asked on a property, and was even then offered less!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..