Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2004, 20:59   #1
God Member

Hit and Run

I don't post here often, usualy just browse by, but since a lot of you live in Accrington.. my dad was run over outside the town hall by a car that shouldn't be there (bus only).

It was in this evenings telegraph and at http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/la.../NEWSACC1.html

Keep an eye out for a Dark Green Passat, registration is Y417ESC or Y417EEC. The car has been unregistered since 2001 so the driver prolly has no tax, insurance, driving licence or anything but it may still be about somewhere as it hasn't yet been found abandoned.

Oh and, hi!
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2004, 21:21   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: Hit and Run

Sorry to read about your Dad Cyfr, Hope he is making a good and speedy recovery.

I remarked to Willowthewhisp just the other day that I had noticed many cars using that road and in fact, one had the audacity to park there on a double yellow line and leave the car unattended! Not even a disabled sticker driver. I thought the police were making special efforts to stop cars using this road, where were they?
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 22:12   #3
Junior Member+

Just Like To Say Hope Ur Dad Soon Recovers Yes And I Will Defenley Keep A Look Out 4 That Car ..i Can Say The Number Of Times Iv Sen People Having To Jump Back On The Pavement On There Dont Know Why There Isnt A Cammra On That Part Of The Road Anyway Best Wishes To Ur Family It Must Have Been Quite A Shock 4 That To Happen To Sumone U Love Heres Hoping The Person Responcble Is Cought And And Delt With Take Care Frend Ann Ee
annee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 22:53   #4
Resident Waffler

I read the story Cyfr and was quite horrified that this driver purposely ran your father down. This isn't just hit and run it's worse than that. I do hope he recovers and that somebody knows who owns that car and reports it to the police.

I've seen drivers speeding along that road and even having the cheek to give a two fingered salute to pedestrians. I hope the police do their worst. So often innocent drivers are booked for accidentally exceeding the speed limit or something similar when these people who intentionally do wrong get away with it over and over again.

But to have run your father down like that in order to get away is unbelievable.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 23:41   #5
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
This isn't just hit and run it's worse than that. I do hope he recovers and that somebody knows who owns that car and reports it to the police.

I like the idea of a police force in the area, but unfortunately, THEY (the police) don't!

The police authorities give a load of verbal to the press about how good they are achieving targets but in reality are likened to a poodle with its teeth pulled!!

Down south, where I originated, 2 facts came to light unintentionally in 2003!

1) That panda cars were restricted to 25 miles per shift....and

2) That no one answered the phone if you phoned the local police station!!!

Fortunately, I have yet to need phoning the police, but if I do, I don't expect an immediate response!!! Perhaps I should keep pidgeons as a way of communication??

It brings to mind, a story from the paper the other day where a woman was acknowledged as being at risk from her husband and was given "high priority" should she call the police! She phoned to say that her "husband" was outside and "shots" were being fired! She hid in a cudboard (Damn you Roy, where is the spellcheck?) and spoke for 16 minutes on the phone. The police didn't respond straight away because her house was only a few years old and the address wasn't on the computer!!!!

2 hours later, the police entered the house to find that both her and her son had been shot.............

What chance does a "hit and run" victim stand if trying to get justice??
Old 30-09-2004, 23:47   #6
Always EVIL within us

I wish you luck Cyfr in finding these morons, You stand more chance appealing to Accy web than relying on the police! Lets hope your appeal will result in a conviction!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:23   #7
God Member

This is appalling! How much longer are the DUNGHEADS at HBC and LCC going to wait beore they do something? Or does somebody have to die first?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:44   #8

Cyfr,

I read the story about your dad, and am disgusted at the state of affairs. I hope your dad makes a full recovery, but it may have long term consequences for him....so be prepared to support him a bit more (you probably do that anyway).

The police are useless....and the law is an ass.

HBC could (if they had any common sense - which seems a conflict of minds to HBC) install retracting barriers that fit under the road and are normally raised to prevent illegal entry, they can only be lowered by use of a coded Infra-Red signal. Bus drivers would have one. After the barrier had been lowered and they had passed through the barrier (like a bollard) it would be automatically raised-up and prevent any vehicle from entering the area. We have them over here in geat quantities, and they definitely work.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 17:44   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Sorry to hear about your dad Cyfr. Did he get a description of the driver? There is no description on the telegraph website. I've had a few close calls on that stretch of road myself and not with buses. It's high time this problem was sorted, the council and the police have known about this since the area went pedestrianised, yet done nothing...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 18:11   #10

Maybe i'm getting a bit ahead of myself here,but i'm sure if they wanted they could put up a barrier, which would be activated by a sensor which only busses and the emergency services have. They are used on toll roads so why not here????

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 21:12   #11
Resident Waffler

That sounds like a good idea but........buses are in and out of there all the time so I can't see it being a practical solution. When would the barriers have chance to come up?

Old 02-10-2004, 11:19   #12
Senior Member+

Camera...... and Prosecute EVERYONE caught

Word will spread amongst the "idiot's". which unfortunately include a lot of "licensed" Taxi's

Surely to have a licence you must be accountable to someone....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 15:07   #13
Resident Waffler

Aren't taxi permitted along there?

Old 06-10-2004, 16:55   #14
Senior Member+

sorry to hear this Cyfr my sister saw the idiotic driver run your father over please can you tell me how you father is doing saw i can pass the news onto my sister
Old 06-10-2004, 16:57   #15
Resident Waffler

Has anybody tracked the car down yet?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..