Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2007, 15:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Hole In the Road = Damaged Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
I once read of a similar case,it was a bit catch 22,if the hole had been previously reported and not rectified then the agreived had a case.
If the council was unaware of the hole,then there was no case to answer.
As they say across the pond,'go figure!'
This is the approach I am expecting, however I rang Accy Highways Dept and it would aprear that there is a water leak or something under the road which has cause it to collapse.

So I would presume the council will claim for road repairs from them.

In turn Hopefully the council will compensate me and claim that back also from water board.

The saga continues.
Old 23-06-2007, 18:00   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Hole In the Road = Damaged Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
I was driving to work the other day, driving down Black Abby Street, I then felt the car drop and bang the front end as I have gone into a pot hole.

Now this is my problem, it has defenatly damaged my bumper, no cracks just dislodged it and I have gained a water/coolent leak.

I reported it to the council/highways on the day it happened and they are now in the processs of fixing it.

They have said they will send me a claim form. Now I feel they will not want to pay for anything.

Has anyone had a claim of the council for damage to a vehicle due to road defects? If so how did you get on?
Your problem will be to prove that they were negligent in not making the repairs. In a nutshell you have to prove that the council knew about the hole and did nothing about it in a reasonable amount of time. What’s a reasonable amount of time? How long is a piece of string?

They are unlikely to tell you that Mr Bloggs reported the hole three weeks ago. Even if you got half a dozen witnesses to say, “yes the hole has been there for three months” it still doesn’t prove that the council knew about it. And that is the crux of the issue – the council KNOWING that there was a dangerous hole in the road. Of course you could always argue that a competent Highways Dept of the council should be aware of the state of the roads under their jurisdiction but they will probably have an answer to that.

I wish you luck in your claim.

Sadly mallard your road tax does not cover urban roads. That is down to the local authority.
Old 23-06-2007, 18:05   #18

i had to take pictures of the damage, and contact the police as the council requested a police log number. was not ahppy it took tyhe council 3 months to pay out.
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 21:00   #19

well i would have to a photo of the hole in the road and then complaned to the council and take your photo to were you are insured.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 23:21   #20

Angry Re: Hole In the Road = Damaged Car

cant you claim of your insurance after all it is still a accident
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 10:12   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
well i would have to a photo of the hole in the road and then complaned to the council and take your photo to were you are insured.
I work where I Insure my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmal_1 View Post
cant you claim of your insurance after all it is still a accident
I could claim but No way, firstly I have a £300 Excess and secondly it would be down as a fault claim which will more than likely put my premiums up at renewal.

Hence why I am going straight to the council to claim.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..