Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 00:25   #1
God Member

hours

Had a friend call late last night to say he was in a pub/club at around 11pm , had some news.. now is this had been a year ago I would not have been able to join him down the pub, but the newish licencee laws allow pub/clubs to open later... are the members of Accy web that posted doom and gloom stuff still of the opinion that the new laws would mean fighting on the streets? own up you fuddy duddy tories! haven't heard from them for a while!!!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2006, 04:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: hours

ok coming from a doorman... i think the new hrs are good.

i get paid to stick around to 4am watchin about 50 ppl dance away. ppl do still generally leave around 2 but its not bang on two... they slowly drift when they feel like it...

i think there will be a knock on effect wether be negative or positive it will take more than just one year for it to b known.

like the internet - it took its time but now we're seeing the effects its had on society
Old 03-09-2006, 09:21   #3
God Member

It might start when you get the new smoking laws in and they have to have a fag outside. Personaly I think that the new hours help as there is no real push to be out by 02:00 so less tension and stress hence less agro.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:27   #4
God Member

I was thinking about pubs .. the landlord/lady now have the right to close when they like.. "lock inns" are gone.. it give the working man/women and pub owners the freedom that has been denied
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:50   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
I was thinking about pubs .. the landlord/lady now have the right to close when they like.. "lock inns" are gone.. it give the working man/women and pub owners the freedom that has been denied
Agreed and the friendly local is usually the best place as the other gaffs charge a bomb. It seems more relaxed in pubs now that there is no rush to drink up.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 03-09-2006, 15:23   #6
Senior Member+

Cool Re: hours

There seems to be a lot more people coming into the town centre later than usual, town doesn't seem to pick up now til about 10pm. Most of the town centre pub managers that i've spoken to, say that there hasn't been a huge difference to thier takings compared to when the old licenses where in place. People still have the same amount of money to spend, only more time to spend it in. I'm also a doorman, so it's great getting paid for an extra hour. Last night (this morning), when the pub closed at 3am, there were only 8 people left in the building. This weekend has been quieter than usual though. Fantastic

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 20:41   #7
God Member

i think its a good Idea (( not that i would ever be able to stick it til 4am ))

But like has been said, there is not as much rush now to drink as many pints as you can fit in between the hours of 8pm and 2am.....

Wonder if people actually drink themselves sober now, and thats why there hasn't been a noticable increase in fighting!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 21:03   #8
God Member

As I said before This country needs to get away from binge drinking and this is helping.
What we need now are the cafe bars with outside ables so people can enjoy a nice afternoon drink outside. Virtually all the town centre pubs here have tables outside or on the pavements, even the ones with gardens have tables on the pavements.
We had a disco and singer in the market square the other day with a hog roast and the 4 surrounding pubs served drinks and people drank them at tables in the market square. (The council has got a 2am licence on it for consumption)
Unfortunately you haven't got a market square for events in the town centre because your council let it get built on shame on you. You could have had galas, fun days, disco's, fairs, car shows, concerts, displays. Gayles trailer could have been there for the shop exhibition. We use our's for all that.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 21:06   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
What we need now are the cafe bars with outside ables so people can
Madhatter that is discrimination against disabled people I hope you know...and people that suffer from Agraphobia*...............

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 21:19   #10
God Member

lol ok we can have outside disables too.
A friend has agraphobia, she moved from london to the country
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 22:06   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Agreed and the friendly local is usually the best place as the other gaffs charge a bomb. It seems more relaxed in pubs now that there is no rush to drink up.
It depends Spug mate,they still have to apply for a license for an extension,if they wish to serve after 11pm.If they applied for one till 1am,they are suppose to close at that time,usually if there is a fwe people in they will still have a lock in.But if they get caught they are up for the high jump bigger fines etc. than there was before.If you want to open 24hrs you have to apply for it.So far no one in Accy as far as I am aware has bothered with it.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead
If you want to open 24hrs you have to apply for it.So far no one in Accy as far as I am aware has bothered with it.
As far as i'm aware, no pubs applied for a 24 hr licence because there just isn't the level of trade in Accrington. Also you get into the argument about staff hours, i.e. pay and shift allowance. Would a member of staff that works from midnight until 8am for instance, be entitled to night workers pay (approx - normal rate + 55%)? When would the cleaners come into the pub?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:43   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
As far as i'm aware, no pubs applied for a 24 hr licence because there just isn't the level of trade in Accrington. Also you get into the argument about staff hours, i.e. pay and shift allowance. Would a member of staff that works from midnight until 8am for instance, be entitled to night workers pay (approx - normal rate + 55%)? When would the cleaners come into the pub?
Wish I could get normal = 55% for the graveyard shift.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 13:26   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Wish I could get normal = 55% for the graveyard shift.
I use that as an example. Different firms pay different allowances obviously. I used to get normal + 33% for 6-2 & 2-10, & normal + 55% for 10-6.

You can see my point about the night shift pay rates though. Yours is the first reply to my comment, & already thier is an issue about it. Would you want to pay an employee more money for the same job, when there would be less work for them to do?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..