Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2006, 21:34   #46
God Member

Re: How are you all staying cool?

OMG im not getting any cooler , got 2 fans going in lounge and doors and windows open ,keep going into garden to try and cool down but my pc wont reach out there so i gotta keep coming back in . only just spotted this thread and will be trying a few of these tips , cheers guys
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2006, 03:50   #47
God Member

do the kids still play with the "gas tar" bubbles in the street ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 05:02   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
do the kids still play with the "gas tar" bubbles in the street ?
I mentioned this only yesterday and was damn tempted to pop one
Old 19-07-2006, 07:46   #49
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It's just been on the news that the tar on our roads is melting in the heat. I used to love popping tar bubbles as a kid but got into trouble plenty of times for coming home covered in tar.

I left my hair wet after a shower last night and it kept me cool for several hours (I have a lot of hair). The only problem is that because it has dried naturally without styling, I now look like a gollywog..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 07:51   #50
Give, give, give member

Driving from Ribchester to Whalley yesterday, some of the back roads were melting. It was like driving through treacle. The newer roads were fine but the back road from the De Tabley towards Brockhall were terrible.

Happily the tread on my new tyres is still legal and not gunked up with tar.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 08:55   #51

All accywebbers are experiencing our normal Brisbane summer at present.....average temperature......34 degrees with some days at 40...I guess the only difference is the humidity .....drink plenty of fluids and have lots of cold showers.....by the way.........our turn will come......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 09:09   #52

well its too hot so i opened the windows....only to find all the flies in accrington invade my house......so i open the door and try shooing the little beasts out....hmm why is it that flies can get into your house through the tiniest crack ...but couldnt get out even if you took the whole side off and pointed them in the right direction? wierd eh?!
Old 19-07-2006, 09:15   #53

I heard that in Cumbria yesterday they were sending out council vehicles full of water which they were spreading on the roads to stop the tarmac melting

Looks like the water crisis will be hitting everywhere soon if other councils take this idea on board.

Last edited by Basher; 19-07-2006 at 09:59.
Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 09:24   #54

I distinctly remember one summer........stand pipes on the end of the street.....and being sent out by dad to fill buckets.......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 12:06   #55

Talented but slow the heatwave of 77 is the one your referring to.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 12:32   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny gem
well its too hot so i opened the windows....only to find all the flies in accrington invade my house......so i open the door and try shooing the little beasts out....hmm why is it that flies can get into your house through the tiniest crack ...but couldnt get out even if you took the whole side off and pointed them in the right direction? wierd eh?!
You need to remove the dog mess from the carpet. That way, the flys won't bother coming in for lunch.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 12:33   #57
God Member

wasn't it 76?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 15:14   #58
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
All accywebbers are experiencing our normal Brisbane summer at present.....average temperature......34 degrees with some days at 40...I guess the only difference is the humidity .....drink plenty of fluids and have lots of cold showers.....by the way.........our turn will come......

Yipeeeeee..... Me and Sparks will be in Brisbane for a few days in January. Looks like we're going to get 2 summers..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 15:44   #59
Junior Member+

Quote:
All accywebbers are experiencing our normal Brisbane summer at present.....average temperature
Well you can keep it.
devil in disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 16:39   #60
Passed away 25-11-09

The temperature in my office, this afternoon, was 95' F. This was with all the windows wide open (lots of lovely traffic noise and pollution) and desk fans everywhere. It's hard to work in that heat. My brain was turning to mush and every time I looked at my computer screen I had hallucinations of water-holes with palm trees and camels.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..