Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 21:45   #16
Loz

Re: How do you reckon this is going to affect AccyWeb?

Does anybody know about uploading videos?
Does it come under breach of copyright if you share them with other people?
Very confused!!
Old 03-07-2008, 22:01   #17
Resident Waffler

If the video is copyright then yes it does.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:37   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: How do you reckon this is going to affect AccyWeb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Does anybody know about uploading videos?
Does it come under breach of copyright if you share them with other people?
Very confused!!
The copyright laws are basically quite clear.

If you produce some written text, take a photograph, produce a sound or video recording of something or paint a picture, you hold the copyright to it. You cannot claim copyright to the title of a book, song etc. You do not have to include the copyright sign or the date but it is useful to do so if it ever comes to a claim of breach of copyright. It is not unknown for two composers to compose the same tune so a date becomes crucial in establishing who holds the copyright to it.

Just as a small aside – the photographer who took your wedding photos etc. holds the copyright to them not you - even if he hands over the negatives. However by the act of handing over the negatives it could be argued that he was also handing over his claim of copyright of the pictures. Strictly speaking he should also hand over a document relinquishing his copyright in your favour.

If someone copies your work, whether it is for their own personal use or not, it is a breach of copyright. By posting a film on YouTube that someone else made, it breaches the filmmakers copyright on that film. By allowing the film to be published on their web site, YouTube are aiding and abetting the breach of copyright.

What isn’t clear is if anyone viewing such a film is also in breach of copyright. No doubt that will be argued out in a court of law but I cannot see how they can be. But then I’m not a copyright lawyer.

So to answer your question Loz – if you download a video, make a copy of it and share it with someone else without the copyright holder’s permission you are in breach of copyright as is the person receiving your copy, whether they view it or not. However by supplying a link to where that video can be viewed is not breaching the copyright laws.

Just to throw everything into confusion, because of the nature of the Internet and the ease that digital information can be copied, some people claim that if the material is posted on a web site it, in effect, becomes “open source”. Meaning that people who post material on the Internet know that it can be copied easily so by posting the material on the Internet they are to all intents and purposes relinquishing their copyright to that material. That should keep the lawyers busy for years to come.

Now my brain hurts and I’m going back to bed.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:08   #19
Junior Member+

Surely Viacom can't go after people for watching a video on YouTube there gripe wold be with the poster of the Video.

I'm not sure how the IP address is going to help them as in this country most people are assigned there IP dynamically by their ISP every time they switch on there connection. So Viacom would have to get IP logs from every ISP and compare one list against another on a minuet by minute basis. Now that would be a cure for insomnia
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58   #20
Resident Waffler

It would be a mammoth task. I just can't see it being practical.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISparky View Post
Surely Viacom can't go after people for watching a video on YouTube there gripe wold be with the poster of the Video.
That is a good point. How are you supposed to know what it is until you have watched it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISparky View Post
I'm not sure how the IP address is going to help them as in this country most people are assigned there IP dynamically by their ISP every time they switch on there connection.
They can do it easily. I know
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55   #22
Loz

Thanks JB makes sense now but it does make your head hurt!!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01   #23
white rabbits

This is another thing for my poor little pea size brain to ponder on,,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..