Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2006, 02:42   #1
God Member

How long before it happens again????

Right just had conversation with hubby and my Q to him were , how long did he think it would take for the sexist thing to turn around ?

right my interpretation of it was ..
centuries, decades,women did as they were told and had a duty to perfom ie, looking after the home , bearing and raising children etc etc work wasnt an issue centuries ago but obviously when war broke out women were found as very useful to work for the mod etc, then after that came the mills , then we had the independance burn the bra era, now we have the era where its wear as little as poss and the independant Im bitch No 1 BEWARE!!! and before anyone says owt im as guilty as the next!!!!

I have brought my daughter up to some of the values that I had to grow up with but then I can see how little use they are in this day and age .

I think what im tryin to say is!! that how fashion changes ,so do the women and so do the next generation I have always tried to bring mine up with the latest fashion / second best when i could,t afford it. but the principles have changed .

So how long do you think it will take before if at all, that the generations will turn around and go back to original values...ie women stayin home making babies and castle comfortable for thier loved ones ?

and also being able and having the guts to bring up a generation that will prove worthy for thier future..

I personally think it could possibly happen in say 4/5 generations from now

hubby thinks its happening in our generation because the government is recognising unruly kids.

what do you think???
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2006, 09:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: How long before it happens again????

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
silvermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 10:03   #3
Resident Waffler

I think it is happening now to some extent. Some fashions are changeing and some values too. I know kids who can see others who have difficult lives (unmarried teenage mums for instance) and choose not to get into that situation themselves.

Personally I think women's lib went too far. Certainly women should be paid an equal day's wage for an equal day's work and all that, but why demand the right to be equal in all things when men and women are naturally so different? Why strive for equality when we are already superior?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 10:20   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Personally I think women's lib went too far. Certainly women should be paid an equal day's wage for an equal day's work and all that, but why demand the right to be equal in all things when men and women are naturally so different? Why strive for equality when we are already superior?
Oh yes !! We are Willow .. Never saw it as a competition though ... just want it both ways don't we ?

Fashion: Yes, does go around in circles,went from heaving bosoms to the straight lace up to the neck buttons with the Victorians. Pulled out a blouse the other day I wore at a work's do about 5 years ago and tied up the fasteners as was worried showing too much cleavage. Fashion is to show a little now so this has changed slightly .. don't think will ever get back to showing nowt though, have to find some bait for those fellas

Morals and behaviour: Well, think zero tolerance is starting to show up and, hopefully, our youngsters will start to behave a little better in the future .. so, yes, I am thinking positive here.

Women in the home: No way will this ever return .. we are now too involved in important jobs out there and will never return .. unless we are forced to in some way, 'cause we are taking all the men's jobs. Anyway, need to work to support all our elderly as living longer.

There's my twopeneth .. don't suppose it woke up Silvermain though
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 10:59   #5
Give, give, give member

It'll never happen.

It should be about choices. If a woman wants to stay home and care for the household goodluck to her. I don't personally know any who could afford or want to. Work brings a feeling of self worth and social interaction that a lot of women enjoy.

Anyway we live in an area were women have worked for the past couple of centuries. So we had women working in the mills providing for their families in a different way long before female liberation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 11:19   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
just want it both ways don't we ?

Your'e an honest woman Katex
Old 16-12-2006, 11:50   #7
Member.

You have all the freedoms, votes and expressions you wish to have. There’s a level of equality in today’s world that some of our grandmothers could have only have witnessed in their imagination.

So long as my meals are cooked and my home is clean I don’t care what you do. I’ll refrain from any further comment at this early stage.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 13:14   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
So long as my meals are cooked and my home is clean I don’t care what you do. I’ll refrain from any further comment at this early stage.
Yah know Doug, you have the most wonderful knack of knowing how to press the correct button to turn a woman ......

OFF !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 13:45   #9
Member.

Pleased to hear that it still works..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 16:34   #10
Give, give, give member

If you were to return to traditional roles, man goes off to earn the dosh whilst little wifey sits by hearth and home, what is the point of academic education for girls? You might as well let them leave school at ten to learn baking and darning, just as long as they have been taught enough reading and writing to leave a note for the milkman.

I for one am happy that my neice has the same opportunities, to do whatever she wants to when she grows up, just the same as my nephew has.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 18:08   #11
Resident Waffler

Some women don't ever become a wifey. Some do the wife/ wife and mother thing and then go back to work afterwards.

However, even if they don't, that doesn't mean their eduction is wasted. A mother bringing up her children needs to be a mine of information and the more educted, intelligent and talented she is the more she will be able to stimulate the minds of her children both male and female.

It's such a shame when someone describes hrself as "only" a housewife without realising how many talents she may constantly be using in that role.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 23:06   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Some women don't ever become a wifey. Some do the wife/ wife and mother thing and then go back to work afterwards.

However, even if they don't, that doesn't mean their eduction is wasted. A mother bringing up her children needs to be a mine of information and the more educted, intelligent and talented she is the more she will be able to stimulate the minds of her children both male and female.

It's such a shame when someone describes hrself as "only" a housewife without realising how many talents she may constantly be using in that role.
I agree willow...
I dont think we will ever go back to the days of old but then would we want to? not me for one ..
But I just got to thinking how possible it could be for the cycle to go round again and how strange it would be to have the woman doing wifey things again instead of being the independant career women most have become, the conversation came about due to looking at the old pics of ossy and how life used to be for the likes of my gran / gt gran etc.
Old 16-12-2006, 23:15   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

So how long do you think it will take before if at all, that the generations will turn around and go back to original values...ie women stayin home making babies and castle comfortable for thier loved ones ? Next Week if their is a god.
Old 16-12-2006, 23:17   #14
God Member

Lmao!!!! @ Cashman
Old 16-12-2006, 23:20   #15
I am Banned

I think it will be like always since the liberation days, there'll be some that want the career & some that want to stay & nuture & theres some with not much choice due to circumstances. To be honest its society that dictates as to whats acceptable or norm & cant see it fully swing that the woman is dictated to stay at home rule, nowadays theres such a mix dependant on what works for individual families, my mate worked & her husband became the house husband & he actually liked that role plus was viabley workable in their situation financially & beneficially. I think it just be ac ceptable to whatever is best in that families situation which is now accepted with the varying of family setups.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..