Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 18:44   #1
God Member

How many more pubs do we need?

I seem to remember that not many months ago that the owners and managers of public houses in Accrington town centre were complaining at some length about the disturbing lack of customers in their establishments. So serious was this dearth of punters that some were considering closing.

How odd then to hear that the planning comittee of HBC has just granted permission for a change of use to accomodate a new development by the Baracuda Group (interesting choice of name!), owners of the "Smith and Jones" chain of public houses.

Even odder, apparently the premises which are the subject of the change of use permission are already occupied by Davies Bed Centre and Farleys Solicitors.

Davies Bed Centre now faces having to relocate their business to allow the Baracuda Group to turn their premises into a pub.

But wait, there is more and it gets even odder. Apparently the upper floors of the premises occupied by Davies Bed Centre are let out as flats.

Battling Doug Hayes, our indefatigable Crime Czar, (Is his face really such a lurid shade of crimson? - He should see a doctor!) who sits on the planning committee said: " Davies Beds is not the concern of the planning committee. We are assesing economic factors as well and this building could have ended up becoming derelict. I believe the application to be a very good one."

Now, call me old fashioned if you will but, I thought that the whole thrust of the new determination of HBC to embrace town centre regeneration as a "Key" issue, was to offer support and encouragement to the retail sector and to improve the shopping experience.

It strikes me that making it impossible for a retail business to continue trading by agreeing to an application for change of use at the behest of a company who is not the current tenant and then saying in public that the fate of the business you have just interfered with is none of your concern, is a little high-handed to say the least. If the fate of a thriving retail business which the planning committee has effectively evicted isn't the committee's concern then, whose concern is it?

And what of the poor people who will have to live above this proposed pub? Do they have no say in the matter? All of which leaves aside the question of dwindling pub trade which will be further reduced once this £1 million gin palace opens its doors.

It sort of makes you wonder what sweet songs the Baracuda Group have been serenading the members of the planning committee with for Councillor Edith Dunston to come out with the following statement: "Retail business in Accrington is more or less going down the pan. This plan is a little up-market and I am all for giving a lift to the centre of the town. I think it will be an asset." with sentiments like that from the planning comittee of the local authority it is little wonder that retailers are leaving the town as fast as their legs will carry them.

Tune in next week folks to hear Doug Hayes criticise people for drinking too much. The word you may be searching for is Hypocrite!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 09-07-2005 at 18:47.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2005, 18:50   #2
I am Banned

Re: How many more pubs do we need?

i dont know about another pub but accy definatly needs a decent night club

the kind of night club that knows the difference between 14 year olds and 18 year olds would be nice
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 19:40   #3
God Member

I'm confused - how can planning permission be granted to a company that doesn't own the premises?
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 19:58   #4
God Member

I was wondering that too! However, the report in the Observer is anything but detailed and fluent. Perhaps, being an "old girl" as it were, you could make an enquiry or two

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 09-07-2005 at 20:01.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 20:19   #5
Resident Waffler

I thought that Davies's had closed one of their shops and moved stock from that one to the other one. Perhaps they rent the premises from the Baracude group? Just a thought.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 20:19   #6
Full Member+

Maybe the current occupiers are only tenants and so the landlords have asked for planning permission, and no doubt looking forward to a large rent increase from it`s new tenants. and my god your risking your arm calling Gayle an old girl!
Old 10-07-2005, 00:19   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if a new pubs what were short of in the town center then why do many folk,myself included keep whinging everythings gonna be great now accys on the up,i think NOT
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18   #8
God Member

I wouldn't know who to ask about something like that to be honest. I do think there's something strange about the current planning permission process though - twice in as many weeks they've given the green light to something before it appears to have been officially applied for from what I can gather. Perhaps they're psychic!
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:31   #9

I would have thought there were enough pubs/clubs in Accy. We need more shops selling good quality goods. We have lots of pubs but not one toy shop. I for one am fed up of having to go out of town to buy toys especially at xmas time.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:16   #10
God Member

We used to have quite a few toyshops in Accrington before ASDA decided it wanted all the business for itself and cut the independent's throats - aided and abetted by HBC who were on hand to supply all the planning permission that was asked for. We are now all too familiar with the ASDA Price, I wonder what the HBC Price was?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:45   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well bob we obviously think along the same lines in these instances,are we paranoid? lol
Old 10-07-2005, 11:42   #12
Give, give, give member

I do remeber reading in The Observer, prior to planning permissin, that the brewery were going to make this a female friendly pub. Sofas were mentioned?

Are other pubs not women friendly? Certainly the women in them seem to be, and quite happily catered for already.

Now if it was a proper bookshop opening again, that really would make me want to go and have a celebratory drink.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:36   #13

Planners are a law unto themselves they obviously can be swayed into making their decisions if the right carrot is dangled.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Planners are a law unto themselves they obviously can be swayed into making their decisions if the right carrot is dangled.
yeah a carrot wrapped in this kind of paper perhaps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg money.jpg (5.5 KB, 6 views)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:00   #15

Well said Chav your probably right.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..