Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2007, 22:29   #31
God Member

Re: How many more times

[quote=lancashire lad;510014]These are my two. Reg & Ronnie. quote]

Reg and Ronnie ....as in the Kray twins ???
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2007, 22:39   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=steeljack;510066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancashire lad View Post
These are my two. Reg & Ronnie. quote]

Reg and Ronnie ....as in the Kray twins ???
did cross my mind.
Old 30-12-2007, 23:08   #33
God Member

[quote=cashman;510070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
did cross my mind.
I bet I know what else crossed your mind too, naming dogs that have a bad reputation ronnie and reggie, and taking them swimming with kids?
Old 30-12-2007, 23:13   #34
God Member

[quote=derekgas;510086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

I bet I know what else crossed your mind too, naming dogs that have a bad reputation ronnie and reggie, and taking them swimming with kids?
nah , the swimming thing didn't cross my mind , just the choice of names , suppose its better than calling them Adolf and Harold (Shipman)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 23:29   #35

Heard some bloke had two guard dogs in the south of France, they were called Brinks an Matt, dunno what that was about tho
Old 30-12-2007, 23:39   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Heard some bloke had two guard dogs in the south of France, they were called Brinks an Matt, dunno what that was about tho
yeh yeh ya dunno pmsl
Old 30-12-2007, 23:42   #37
Give, give, give member

A baby is for life, not just for Christmas.

I'm not being flippant with that remark. I don't know how true it is, but in today's Sunday Times, it said this poor child's teenage parents had been staying with friends across the street for four days, leaving the child in the care of it's grandparents, and young teenage aunts.

All dogs can be dangerous, but even more dangerous is leaving your child without the proper care it deserves. While you play commuter games, get drunk, or even eat paella in a nearby, but out of sight and earshot, tapas bar.

It's very sad.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 23:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's not the dogs. It's the dog owners.
Yes thats true
chrismuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 15:39   #39
Beacon of light

There was a quote from the paternal grandfather saying something along the lines that a sixteen year old shouldn't be left looking after a baby........let me see, the mother of this baby was sixteen when she had him...but sixteen is too young to be looking after a baby, isn't it?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 15:43   #40
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm only going to repeat what I said in another thread some time ago. I have had dogs all my life, well trained, sociable dogs. I love dogs and I understand them and what I understand most is they are dogs.

Dogs may seem human in their habits and temperaments. They may understand "every word we say" and they may be "one of the family" but a dog is a dog. He's a pack animal and he has to have a leader. He will find his own position in the pack, and that should be at the bottom, but a very small child can't dominate him. It doesn't matter what breed the dog is, large or small. His instinct says there is someone smaller and weaker than him and, usually, that pack member needs to be protected but canine nature sometimes get it wrong and he will turn. He's not evil, unless he's been encouraged to be, he's behaving naturally. He's not a human being, he's a dog.

This story is so sad, so preventable and so inevitably going to happen again.
Old 01-01-2008, 15:46   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I'm only going to repeat what I said in another thread some time ago. I have had dogs all my life, well trained, sociable dogs. I love dogs and I understand them and what I understand most is they are dogs.

Dogs may seem human in their habits and temperaments. They may understand "every word we say" and they may be "one of the family" but a dog is a dog. He's a pack animal and he has to have a leader. He will find his own position in the pack, and that should be at the bottom, but a very small child can't dominate him. It doesn't matter what breed the dog is, large or small. His instinct says there is someone smaller and weaker than him and, usually, that pack member needs to be protected but canine nature sometimes get it wrong and he will turn. He's not evil, unless he's been encouraged to be, he's behaving naturally. He's not a human being, he's a dog.

Well said, almost poetic!
Old 01-01-2008, 16:51   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post

That is so true.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 21:33   #43
I am Banned

I have two large dogs and hate seeing things like this so just wondering what facts they leave out in all cases no adult was present in the room for one who knows what happened in the small amount of time - did a child pick up a bone belonging to the dog etc ,..... we will never know.In the case of Ellie Lawrenson there was some talk about her uncle being a drug dealer of having drugs about the house -apparently there were going to be tests done as it was suspected that the dog may have injested (spelling?) drugs either accidentally or otherwise. Did we ever hear about the results of those tests?
It would put the situation in a whole other light and in my eyes - could be manslaughter perhaps ? can a dog be considered a weapon - bring back the dog license and alongside it a general questionnaire about basic animal welfare. ooo sorry for rant lol!
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:58   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
I have two large dogs.
OK I will ask the questions, why do you keep two large dogs?
Do you live on a farm where the dogs have plenty of room to run, or are they kept in cramped surroundings, as in a rear yard?
When you go out with them are they on leads, if they are, why, can you not trust them?

To finish off, I have always kept a small dog myself.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45   #45
I am Banned

dont get me wrong i am not bragging about having large dogs i am just saying that they are large and people assume that they are agressive but they are not. my eldest one i have had through thick and thin - i used to live on my own in rented accomodation.Unfortunatley being on my own i could only afford cheap rentals and that comes at a price - they are usually only in unsafe rundown high crime areas. i had a few close calls - wont go into that and an ex who scared the bejeesus out of me as he stakled me for almost a year. so i got a dog - i dont think german sherpherd size is humongous but it is enough to defend me if i needed it. Obviously i felt safer as there was someone to alert me of anything out of the ordinary. Akitas are known for only barking when there is something unusual so i opted for that breed i understand it was only chance as to whether she had that trait as she was crossed - anyway she does.I cant stand little yappy dogs after living next door to them for a while and think you might aswell have a cat for all the good they are lol! anyway the second dog i got 3years ago and was the choice of my partner w wnet for the same cross breed because hey are fabulous around children very loyal and incredibly easy to train ( with the right approach)

so that is why i have two large dogs

Do i think i am big and clever when people cross the road when we are out with them?
NO i do not i can honestly tell you i hate it. If you cross the road when you see large dogs on the side that you are walking on then that is not my fault - it is yours for prejudging - in fact cani just say that by doing this dogs are conditioned to believe that where they are walking is their territory and we have to constantly retrain the dogs to let them know that actually abybody can walk on the pavement- so next time - just carry on walking

No i dont live on a farm, they are not cooped up in a backyard- they are house dogs and we have a more than adequate large terrest house. they have an hour or so walk in a morning and are let of the lead in there hour to hour and a half walk at night- do i trust them ? implicitally - do i trust other dogs that are off the lead ? definitely not -so at that point mine go back on the lead. such a shame for my dogs but there are so many dogs that are allowed to run around and are so out of control it scares me.

I have had yorshire terriers attacking my dog going for it's throat they were off therir leads mine was on a lead of course mine tried to retaliate back and the cheeky mare that had the yorkies dared to tell me to get my dog ubder control so i suggested she put hers on a lead before i stamped on them- now can i ask .......
if you had come upon that scene and you couldnt see the lead that was on my dog would you assume it was the yorkies or my "large dog" that weere causing the problem?
society had been conditioned to think the Bgger the Badder - it is not the case.

sorry for long post but i just wish people wouldnt jump the gun and it isnt a rant i am just trying to explain that is all x
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..