Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2007, 20:28   #1
God Member

How much do you trust the BBC?

There's been all the stuff recently about the BBC (and other TV channels) who have not been entirely honest with us. Blue Peter was guilty of fraud by using a studio guest as a competition winner, now Children in Need telephone lines are being investigated.

Documentaries are also under fire. I'm currently watching India with Sanjeev Bhaskar and it's obvious that some elements of it are staged, even if they are supposed to be 'just going with the flow'. A researcher will have gone ahead and set up the interviews and chance meetings. I watched Top Gear last night and although it was showing Clarkson and May travelling to the North Pole supposedly alone, again it was obvious that it was faked in some respects and at one point it showed that there was a support crew of another three cars.

So, how much can we trust.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2007, 20:32   #2
God Member

Re: How much do you trust the BBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
There's been all the stuff recently about the BBC (and other TV channels) who have not been entirely honest with us. Blue Peter was guilty of fraud by using a studio guest as a competition winner, now Children in Need telephone lines are being investigated.

Documentaries are also under fire. I'm currently watching India with Sanjeev Bhaskar and it's obvious that some elements of it are staged, even if they are supposed to be 'just going with the flow'. A researcher will have gone ahead and set up the interviews and chance meetings. I watched Top Gear last night and although it was showing Clarkson and May travelling to the North Pole supposedly alone, again it was obvious that it was faked in some respects and at one point it showed that there was a support crew of another three cars.

So, how much can we trust.
I must admit,all that business with the telephone lines has put me off ringing in for any competitions.Not that I ever did it much but I won't now.It's the same with X Factor,I won't let the kids vote on it any more.That hasn't gone down too well with them but tough
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 20:40   #3
God Member

did anyone ever watch the programme with ewan mcgregor and charley boorman 'the long way round'? it was a documentary about them riding bikes from london to london via ukraine, russia,kazakhstan, mongolia, siberia, alaska, canada and america. unlike the things Gayle has just mentioned they did have 1 cameraman on a bike (which was stated before they set off) and just the two of them riding, cant remember which chanel it was on but it was excellent (ive got them on dvd) and would recommend you all watch it...the point of this post is...they DID actually do the ride with who they said they where doing it with, they met up with other people at certain points in the journey, but other than that they where alone, as was said at the beginning of the programme

sorry for waffling Gayle but i know what you mean about these programmes, and it is annoying
Old 30-07-2007, 20:48   #4
God Member

I remember the hoo ha when it emerged that Vanessa Feltz had fake guests in her show.That was a good few years ago so it's obviously been going on for a long time.There's probably a lot of stuff on television that isn't what it seems.Very annoying.
Old 30-07-2007, 20:50   #5
God Member

I read the book of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's trip. Admittedly that one does sound like they really did that and went with the flow.

Another example in the Sanjeev Bhaskar programme he just said, 'a group of young employees invited him to lunch'. Rubbish, the young employees were probably selected by the management as the most respectable young people in the company who would toe the company line. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the programme but I just don't believe them (and never have believed them) when they say they're just 'finding' people to chat to when it's obvious that people have been researched in advance.

Old 30-07-2007, 20:51   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I remember the hoo ha when it emerged that Vanessa Feltz had fake guests in her show.That was a good few years ago so it's obviously been going on for a long time.There's probably a lot of stuff on television that isn't what it seems.Very annoying.
Another good point Lilly, so why has it taken them so long to investigate?

Old 30-07-2007, 20:52   #7
God Member

The BBC has somewhat biased political reporting.
Old 30-07-2007, 20:53   #8
God Member

its like that programme 'who do you think you are' none of the celebs have researched anything about family history at all, they have 'people' to do that for them
Old 30-07-2007, 20:53   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
so why has it taken them so long to investigate?
Good question.I agree.
Old 30-07-2007, 20:57   #10
God Member

As for phoning in to shows like Richard and Judy, I've always known (as have most intelligent people) that it's the person who connects first who gets on, yet they've spun it out with the easy question until the last minute.

David Beckham is married to which Spice Girl?
A. Posh
B. Ginger
C. Safron
Calls cost £1.50

So, again, why has it taken them so long to investigate? Could it perhaps be the £1.50 per minute they get for it?

Old 30-07-2007, 21:02   #11
God Member

Researcher: S.Gautham - let's give the guy a credit. I bet its a team and S.Gautham is a fake name for them.

Old 30-07-2007, 21:03   #12
God Member

that will be all the first letters of their names
Old 30-07-2007, 21:05   #13
Senior Member+

If you believe that a programme such as India is totally spontaneous, then you are sadly naive. Of course much of it is staged and researchers have pre-arranged interviews, meetings, etc, well in advance.

As for Top Gear, well again it's well known that the programme isn't factual. In the last series the team were driving across America and were 'attacked by a group of rednecks'. Obviously staged and done for entertainment value. In another programme they destroyed a caravan and set another on fire. All done in a 'factual way', but obviously constructed.

These programmes are created primarily for entertainment purposes and can't really be compared to fixed telephone polls.
Old 30-07-2007, 21:07   #14

With regards the phone ins -Why do you think they are so simple?

Because more people ring in and spend their sorely needed cash in the hope of winning a new car/kitchen/£10,000 (delete where applicable) and forget that you have a 1 in 100000000(ad infinitum) chance because it doesn't feel like your spending real money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
The BBC has somewhat biased political reporting.
Yeah right I agree the far left never have it fair on the beeb. However it's fairer than ITV or Murdochvision.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 21:13   #15
God Member

I suppose what I'm really asking is 'why has it taken the industry so long to cotton on'? Or perhaps, if they've known all along, 'how have they got away with it for so long?'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..